Good Capacitor Brands?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FreeSpace, Jan 29, 2005.

1. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I have an old generic Real PC Power 550w PSU made by Powmax that I picked up for $10 a while back (MSRP: c. $35).

Well, it stopped turning on, and I discovered that one of the caps was more bloated than Gabe Newell after going to his local Krispy Kreme Convention.

I'm looking for some decent caps to put into this thing, so hopefully I can extend it's life. It's always good to have a second PSU, now matter how nasty. If you ask me, I think one fifty cent item that makes up for an item worth $35 is a really good deal.

What would you guys recommend? Google doesn't seem to be of much help.

2. mace

mace i don't read

When one of the caps was busted on my GeForce 2 Ti, I got one at this electronics supply place called mouser electronics. Had a little trouble getting it because I needed to declare a business name.

Soldered it on and the thing worked like a charm, that was like 2 years ago and it still works.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

lol thats good:)

if you don't have the warranty i would suggest what the person ahead of me said, go to a local electronics shop and see if you can find a compatible cap. Just hope you can solder it on good.

Epox boards used to have this problem, after a few months of running the caps on there mobos would leak and everyone started RMA'ing there boards. i had a 1.1 board so i didn't have this problem...but stuff liek this should really be unacceptable. Guess mobos/vidcards just aren't built with the best electronics anymore unless you pay big bucks.

4. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

Get a Flux capacitor

5. torquehead

torquehead New Member

:squintd: indeed.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

aren't you mr. funny. :hsugh:

7. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Yeah, I opened up my monitor last night and discovered that the ADC board had caps made by the same company (GSC). On the plus side, my panel is made by AUO, which are the best! YAY!