Good camcorders? (hdd, sd, DVD)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZeroSkillet, Apr 5, 2010.

1. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

What's a good camcorder for occasional recording... What's the better format for hd cams; hard drive, sd memory or DVD?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd go with a hard drive, personally. Flash memory doesn't have any moving parts, but when you're constantly throwing data onto it at high speed (i.e. full-motion video as opposed to still photos), it uses just as much power as a hard drive and usually can't transfer data as fast. The downside to a hard drive is you can't swap it out when it gets full, but buying multiple flash memory cards with the same capacity and transfer speed as a hard drive will put you in the poorhouse, so it's not much of an option to go that route anyway.

3. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

IMO go flash. No moving parts, easy to swap out, and you can get SD cards up to 32GB which is enough for 3 hours of full 1080p video. I have the Canon HF200, which is nice but I think there are better newer models out now. It's not that great for low light - pay attention to larger sensors for video, so you can get higher ISO and F stop if you plan on shooting in low light.