Good cable modem/router combo?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

My girlfriend and I are moving into our apartment in about a month and we're gonna have Insight broadband. I don't want to rent a modem off of Insight so I want to buy a modem and router for my desktop and my girlfriends laptop. This is one area of computers I'm not familiar with so I need some recommendations, also how hard is it to set a router up?

2. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

Insight broadband?

Never heard of them. But then again, I am from the south. However, I would see if you can stick with a major provider like a major telco or cable company. Insight sounds like a piddly dink company similiar to Ygnition (They contract internet to apartment complexes and have a *very* bad reputation for poor service).

However, most broadband/DSL routers work well. Dlink DI-604 or a Linksys should be good. There is no particular reccomendation other than that.

If Insight is going to charge you to rent their modem for their service, I say stay away and find someone else. Its pretty much an industry standard to get the modem for free with the service. It sounds like they are trying to rip you off.

Go to http://www.broadbandreports.com and do a little research on the company. I think you can find some better companies in your area.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dlink is decent. Stay far away from linksys. Netgear is my personal choice.

I would highly recommend you rent/lease your modem... If it breaks, they give you a new one. I usually go through 2-5 modems a year... They break often enough to make paying for them not a great idea.

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I second that linksys is crap. My parents router is a Linksys one, if there is more than one computer connected to it, it requires a reset every few hrs. I myself use Dlink, i've have being using it for 2 years, and it has yet to be restarted or have any troubles.

As for modems, I can't really say, as I rent one, and have different modems whenever i move. I have a Motorola sb5100 right now, and it hasn't caused any troubles for me yet (8 months or so).

5. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

hmm.. i've had multiple linksys'.. no problems. They worked better than my dlink. *that was after I realised my dlink was conflicting with my modem regarding its default IP address*.

You can get some nice hacked linksys firmware to unlock some pretty cool features too. I find that the dlink is much easier when you open ports. It opens general ports, you aren't required to forward them to a specific IP address. Thats always nice.

6. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Insight is actually one of the two big companies around here. The only other company that offers broadband service is Bell South and their prices are off the chart. My dad actually has a Netgear router and we've never been able to get it to work. I was gonna check out Best Buy and see what they had for routers, sense I probably will just stick with renting a modem from the company.

7. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Is there anything specific I need to look for when purchasing a router? My girlfriend doesn't want to go wireless with her laptop yet but I was pondering getting one anyway so the option would be there later.

8. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

One more question is hooking my PS2 up to the router going to be a problem?

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

i dont own a ps2 but all you should have to do is open the ports that ps2 online uses.

10. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

WTF?? What do you do to your modems, that you go through 2-5 a year! :eek3: Figure it out mathematically, for rental for me, from Charter, would have been 5 bucks a month x 12 months = 60 bucks a year. I have had my Motorola for 2 years now, and no problems what so ever. I got mine at Best Buy, and they generally have promo's when you sign up through them, the modem is free after rebates, they throw in a discounted rate for service for 2-4 months, and sometimes they will throw in a Gift Card.

I have a Linksys router also. Works flawless, and holds a connection forever and a half. I had a Dlink, that I would have to reset ever 4-6 hours. It got annoying.

11. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Linksys WRT54G + Morotola SB5100 = tehwin

Don't have any experience with any other brand routers :o

12. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

The reason why my Dlink router was resetting every few hours was because my DSL modem was conflicting with the IP address the Dlink uses. Sometimes if I put in the address 192.168.0.1 in my web browser, I would pull up the DSL modem information page. Since it was conflicting, the connection would be very intermittent. As soon as I put the Dlink on a 192.168.1.1 address, its worked perfect ever since.

13. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I have the complete oposite opinion. Netgear is my last choice and Linksys is my first. Dlink is middle of the line... As of this week my opinion of DELL wireless could not be lower, stay very far away from it. (Does anyone know whos parts they are reselling?)

Unless you plan on switching access types every year ot two I would buy the modem, especially if you can get a good deal. Circuit City is offering a free or $50 modem w/access - after 10 months at $5 a month your saving money.

My Linksys router(4 plus years) and Motorola Modem have lasted YEARS without a hardware failure. I recommend the same to all my non-business and small business customers.

2-5 modems a year? What the hell do you do to them? Personally I have only seen two modems go bad, one from lighning and the second appeared to be bad from the factory.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, firstly, that is tehlose. Secondly, if you do not have experience with any other routers, how can you even claim it's "tehwin"?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That's kinda funny, because Dell is reselling linksys designs
    :wavey:

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have nothing concrete to back this up, but my theory is that modems go bad from being used... I think it has to do with heat buildup. Ever since I installed some fans over my modem, they seem to be lasting longer, but I'm still going through at least 2 a year. I manage 75+ servers, and I'm constantly maxing-out my 2mbps upload. All the cable/dsl techs I've spoken with seem to agree that the consumer-grade modems wern't designed to handle the loads that I throw their way... I'd move up to "business-class" and get their cisco modem, but the price is :eek4: and I definitely don't need more than 1 static IP, which is about the only difference.

17. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

You're entititled to your opinion as i'm entitiled to my own...

18. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Agreed, or the WRT54GS. Install the Alchemy firmware from Sveasoft and you have a pretty hot setup for a home network.

I had a Netgear previously and it was garbage, it took 3 firmware releases before problems were resolved. After the firmware updates, it worked OK but features were somewhat lacking, no UDP port forwarding and such. The Linksys routers since Cisco's acquisition have been excellent.

19. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Per the phone call from Dell this morning and searching google has agreed with they (the pieces that I have) were made by Orinoco... The tech thinks the new items are Dlink...

20. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Sounds like you need to look into Netopia or similar... Our locations that use DSL/Cable connections (instead of T1's) all have been moved over to Netopias (provided by ISP - AT&T, Sprint and Ameritech all give us the same make and model) and we have not had a single problem, though we never did before with the consumer modems we started with. (These sit fairly maxed out all day - 3 shifts 5 days a week - with VPN's and remote application/data serving.)

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, I've used netopia at customers sites, and they certainly are great... However, any service that provides hardware of that class (at least in my area) is way out of my price range... I pay $49.95 a month for 4mbps down and 2mpbs up, and when a modem goes out, I just drive a few blocks and have them swap it out on the spot. I'll live with that for the price, lol.

22. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I would rather pay the $79 a month for lines we get with the Netopia's. Downtime is MUCH more expensive than the $30 a month I would save. Though by the simple nature of my companies business most locations are in rural areas and do not get the speeds you mentioned (we only need a steady 1.5 or so up and down).

But this is business, Lateralus is talking about use in an apartment... If a home user wears out a modem they need to get a life away from the computer.

23. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Setting up a router is as simple as reading the first 10 or so lines of instruction. When doing wireless make sure you do some type of security and the instructions will easily show you how to set that up. (Though NO MATTER WHAT BRAND YOU BUY - NEVER install the software that comes with the router!!! If you cannot setup the device through a web browser you do not want it anyways.)

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Words to live by.

Same goes for DSL and Cable modems. Almost every company bundles software that they say you need to install. Never do it. And Never let a DSL/Cable tech touch your PC... That's asking for trouble.

25. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

linksys 85% of the time they are reliable
    dlink I have had nothing but bad experiences with
    netgears user interface sucks
    belkin is awesome, no complaints, easy user interface