Good build for a beginner gaming PC?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Carisma, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Carisma

Carisma New Member

I was wondering if this was a good beginner gaming PC? Also what would you change from the current configuration?

[​IMG]

Also if you did change anything I would like to keep my motherboard at a 754 socket. And I am planning on getting a Raptor drive in the near future so...

Let me know.

Thanks.

2. HardTech

HardTech hungry

why a 250gig Maxtor and 160gig Western Digital?

I'd go with 6800 or 6800 GT for the video card. Try to get PCI-E if possible

Why keep motherboard at 754? That is obsolete, and you won't be able to upgrade your CPU without changing out your motherboard (and maybe your RAM and video card).

Go with 939 and enjoy the richer upgrade path later down the road.

3. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

that would be a good computer to make into a tivo machine.... not really gaming unless you just play a lot of older games.

4. HardTech

HardTech hungry

also, get a DVD writer for $15 more

what's your budget?

5. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

$50 for a motherboard? :hsugh:

6. Carisma

Carisma New Member

The Maxtor was bought when I bought the system and then I went out to get another HD because I produce alot of videos so I wanted something just in case I needed more space. The WD isn't installed yet so I might sell it eventually. Well what is the best 939 without breaking my pockets? right now I can't get a PCI-E so in order to get that I would have to change motorboards anyway. Also the 754 has a slot to upgrade to the 939 without changing over the whole motorboard. But I still wouldn't have a PCI-E slot.

My budget is going to depend on my next check so around 500. I don't burn that many CDs or DVDs but I might get one because I have a friend that has some DVDs I want so...

I played BF2 at Bestbuy and now I want to buy it but I wanted to see if my computer would be able to handle it.

[FONT=&quot]
    Yeah I know I am cheap.
    [/FONT]

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Getting one hard drive for Windows and another for your games is a good idea in theory, but it only makes a difference if you actually remember to install your games to the second hard drive; if that's unlikely, just get the one hard drive. As for the brand, I'd go with Seagate over any other brand of hard drive. (we have little wars over brand names on a regular basis around here.) Not that WD isn't good, but Seagate is definitely the most reliable unless you're an exceptionally unlucky person.

Upgrade the DVD-ROM to a DVD+/-RW. It's only a few dollars more nowadays, and it makes backing up your files easier.

Get a socket 939 motherboard instead of the socket 754. Socket 939 will be around longer. I recommend Asus motherboards -- also a reliable brand, though not always the outright fastest. Even if you fuck up your BIOS, you can still boot up and rewrite it from a floppy disk.

Speaking of which, if you don't have a USB floppy drive, add that to the list. You rarely need one anymore, but when you do need one, it's the only thing that will work.

8. Carisma

Carisma New Member

I was thinking about that USB drive because I couldn't get my maxtor to boot up when I built this system and it seemed like it went to old technology to get it to work. I am a newb to the AMD processors because I don't even know how to OC anything so when you talk about BIOS I have no idea what you are talking about.

Right now my 250 is running everything but if I start gaming I am going to use my 160 for it maybe.

What is a good processors for the 939 that isn't the best one but still good enough for gaming?

What part of NOVA are you from? I am in Alexandria.

9. Carisma

Carisma New Member

Any advice?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so basically you're saying that you have $500 to build a gaming machine?

What components do you already have and will transfer to the new machine? I will try to configure something better than you posted, while staying in budget... But I need some more info from ya.

11. Carisma

Carisma New Member

The $500 is just for the CPU/motherboard, GPU, Memory (right now I have 1gb in corsair but it isn't the really advanced ones) and I am planning on getting a modular PSU (550w). The rest of the stuff I can get cheap so...

I will keep the case, optical drive, the hard drives. I was also thinking about getting a internal water cooler but the one I want doesn't come with a VGA cooler...so would you get one that has both the CPU and VGA cooler or not?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$80.99 - Asus A8N5X S939 nF4 Mobo
    $166.00 - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Boxed S939
    $66.00 - Corsair 1GB Kit (2x512MB) 2.5Cas
    $189.00 - XFX 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E16
    ===================
    $501.99

Given your constraints, that's my recommendation.

13. Carisma

Carisma New Member

I was looking at that Mobo/CPU combo the other day...

What do you think about the water cooler? Are they worth it? I was thinking about either a internal on from Thermaltake or their external unit.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Absolutely not. I am not much a fan of watercooling, anyway, but I would highly suggest you avoid ThermalTake in all ways possible.

15. Carisma

Carisma New Member

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I've got the charcoal color version of that Antec case on my spare computer, and it rocks the hut. 120mm fan in front of the hard drives, and 120mm fan at the rear of the case. Awesome!

17. JaJae

JaJae New Member

18. deusexaethera

Ashburn. Still technically NoVA; I commute into Fairfax every day.

19. Carisma

Carisma New Member

Sweet dude...It is still NOVA everything out to Winchester is considered NOVA now. If you are ever in Alexandria hit me up...

20. Carisma

Carisma New Member

Would you recommend it over the one Jollyogre said?

21. CodsterTX

CodsterTX OT Supporter

22. deusexaethera

I'm not a big fan of SLI. On the one hand, it's a great opportunity for the video card companies to sell twice as much product. On the other hand, if you buy a single video card, you can upgrade later on by adding a second card of the same model instead of having to replace the one card you've already bought. I guess it depends on how much common sense you use when speccing your new machine.

23. JaJae

JaJae New Member

If I were building the computer for myself I would take the SLI board for the $25. If you don't ever intend on using SLI then no I wouldn't recommend it. The benefit of SLI is that if you later on down the line need more video performance, you can just add another card of what you have (generally dated and much cheaper) rather than spending your money on a card that costs twice as much. You lose the benefit of new hardware optimizers like shaders, etc. Even still having the option for $25 is inviting to me. Odds are you'll never use it unless you use it when you build your computer though. At least for me I don't think I would be happy settling for two dated graphics cards when the new cards on the market would make everything look so much more realistic and cool.

24. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

do what the other guys are saying and stay away from socket 754. I built a entry level gaming PC back in september and it really couldn't hack it once I added my 2405fpw. :hsd: It was fine running 1024x768 though

setup I had:
    sempron 3100+ (venice core) @ 2.52gHz
    2gb DDR500
    Epox 8kda3+ pro mobo
    asus 9800xt 256mb vid card

it wasnt terrible, but it wasnt great

25. redlxn

redlxn New Member