Good "budget" sub?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mzmtg, Oct 28, 2002.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Right now I have a single JL 10w0-4 in a sealed box. It's getting about 150 watts from the bridged rear channels of my "new" MTX 4244 amp.

Is there another sub in this price and power range (~$100, 150watts RMS) that would give me better all around performance?? Or, is there one that would be worth spending the time and $$ to replace the JL?

:I know JLs suck, that's not the point:

2. 04

04 Guest

Well, if you want something substantially louder at the same price point, and plan on building a new enclosure, then I would go with either a 15" or 18" driver. They will naturally be more efficient than the 10" because of their increased radiating area.

Now in reality I imagine you want another 10" speaker. If this is the case, I would reccomend against buying a new one unless you will give it more power. Quite frankly any new driver you drop in will probably not be much more efficient than what you have now.

3. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

042801 is right I would plan on putting more power to your sub. I'm guessing your box is about 1-1.5cuft. If your on a budget you could build or buy a ported box around 2.5-3cuft or so and tune it low like 30hz for some good SQ and keep your amp.

If your strictly looking for a sub for about $100 or so I'd go here Id looks at Audiobahn, Digital Audiom Ulitimate Sound etc............! But with 150wrms I wouldn't expect much out of any sub in any enclousure :dunno:

4. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I have the 10w0 in a .75 cu ft. box, which is the size recommended by JL.

I guess I'm happy with what I have. It fills out the bottom end fine and gets plenty loud to keep up with road noise.

I was just wondering if there was some great sub out there that I had never heard of and was missing out on...

...I guess not at this price point :wiggle:

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Shiva+Poly Fill=what you need.

That is all.

6. Annex

Annex Guest

Re: Re: Good "budget" sub?

lol no way.. bigger isn't better.. especially in sub size

going past 12" is a waste..

If your a competitor.. anyone would tell you that (not just a formed opinion btw)

7. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Yah your right a pair of 10's have more cone are than a pair of 12's you must be in db drag to know this :ugh2:

8. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Re: Re: Re: Good "budget" sub?

Riiiiiight.:ugh2:

Gary Biggs, Kicker Competition Group: 2 18L7 subs
    Jason Syner, Audionutz/Oz Audio: 4 15" Oz Power Matrixes (IB)
    Jeff Gasier, Team Ohio: 2 18w6 (previous install)

Listen to any of those cars and you'll see that it's NOT "a waste" as you say. You ever felt what 8Hz on a pipe organ feels like? Not with your 12's you haven't.

9. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

I feel the flames comming :rofl:

10. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Well, I'm glad my thread has turned into another pointless online pissing contest...

11. Annex

Annex Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good "budget" sub?

lol @ kicker.. please..

4 15's? lol, hahah

18's?? LOL.. why don't we just up it to a 32'

post some links. let's see what they are hitting'.. the classes they are in..

12. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Have u ever heard of Alma Gates how bout Team Gates.......:ugh: Kicker is by far not the best. Your such a dumbass plenty of people use 18's i dont know if you heard but DD has a 17" sub out :bigthumb:

13. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Im telling you...Shiva...16oz. of Polyfill, and a 1.6cube sealed box...and your golden.

But NOOO....WTF do i know...

14. Annex

Annex Guest

kicker is the best? LOL.. what you gonna tell me next? that Sony Explode is highly rated as being one of the most competitive? lol, shut up'..

I dunno what kinda of car competitions/shows/friends you go to/see.. but here, in NY.. when the car audio shows/competitions roll around.. you don't see anyone.. over a 12.. lol..

and what they are doing is using 10's , 12's, and just going overly obsessive w/ packing as many as in as possible.

15. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: Good "budget" sub?

You are a dumbass :slap:

16. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Do they teach you how to read it NY "I said kicker is by far not the best"=meaning they are not the best :slap:

Basically your saying saying just because people in NY don't use 18's that they don't make them or do you even know what ure talking about :rofl:

What kind of system did u say u had again? You know that NY isn't the only state in the US in case you wondering seems like you don't think hard before you stupid shit. I wish Loudsystem or 04' was on you would get flamed back over to sounddomain with the rest of car audio gur's :rofl:

This will shut you up I know you have never heard of shocker audio. http://www.shockeraudio.com/final2002/

17. 04

04 Guest

He wont get significantly more output from a shiva with the same power input. He might get 3dB, but the shiva is also more than 100 dollars, and he would have to build an enclosure more than 2x the internal volume of his current setup.

18. 04

04 Guest

Dude, before you spout your bs, learn a little bit how loudspeakers work. My brother has 2 15" in his car, does he have them for sound quality? No, he wants high output/ low frequency extension. :rolleyes:

19. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Good "budget" sub?

Annex, I don't think you have ANY credibility left...

20. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Idiots like Annex need to go back so sounddomain and go argue with people :o!

21. Annex

Annex Guest

seeing as your a georgia boy.. and guys like you be deckin out ford rangers.. let me stoop down to your level for a few seconds..

I just went to that link.. and they show guys with like 155 decz and trophies.. lol, are you kiddin me? those guys are the ones with 15 and 18 and that's all they are hitting? lol, I can hit that with 2 MTX 12's.. and that's not even doing a different setup with 10's.. lol.. you wanna try again? LOL

22. 04

04 Guest

Annex, if I were Fazle, I would ban you.

You obviously haven't the slightest clue as to how a loudspeaker works, or the reasons why larger cone diameters are good, etc.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

Read that entire webpage, and then come back and try and make a valid arguement.

Reading your crap is like having a 4 year old tell me that the earth is flat.

23. Annex

Annex Guest

lol ban me? because telling you (and I also stated.. just not ones own opinion.. either, dumbass).. that 15' and 18' are clowned at competitions? lol, and if not.. and they so grand.. then tell me why I can hit mid 150's with 2 12's guy'..

and that's not even playing around with 10's.. which could do the job 10x over..

are you slow??

24. 04

04 Guest

What competitons are you going to that frown upon large diameter drivers?

You can hit mid 150dB because of several different reasons. First of all, I bet your score is outlaw, and you just put the microphone inside the vent. Second, if you actually hit a 150dB legal, you must have a large amount of power at your disposal and you just fart your subs at the system resonance.

If you can infact hit 150dB, go ahead and post your score sheet.

I bet you would for sure beat my puny 12" that can probably only hit 130dB. :rolleyes:

25. Annex

Annex Guest

well, let's see.. hitting mid 150's.. 1000w class (I'm in).. that's off the bat (so, now ya know).. lesse' what else.. hummm...

running : mtx 12's 6000's.. powered by JBL

was sponsored by circuit city in albany, new york in alot of area competitions. you can even check into that if you dun believe. (01 Eclipse GT)

course, I was stupid to not downsize to 10's. besides that, pushing 1000w.. I had to even go to mp3 (due to my deck shuttin off).. anything more, kiddo? :big grin: