Good basic video editor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnson, Apr 16, 2007.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

I use Camtasia and WMM but Camtasia has their own encoders which make the file size huge and WMM doesnt keep the original aspect ratio. I only use it to cut video to make it shorter. What else is out there that isnt complicated to use?

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I use Sony's Vegas Video . . .

3. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

That's good for basic Video editing.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

5. johnson

johnson New Member

Can someone give me a walkthrough on Sony Vegas? Took me a while to find out how to zoom and cut. When I finally got through those, I wanted to save so I put "Render as"...is that right? Well I saved as .avi but at 60% the computer told me I was running out of disk space. Somehow a shortened 350MB file turned to over 2GB and this took about 40min. The second time I saved as .wmv and estimated time is almost 2 hours so I canceled. I know I dont have the fastest computer to be doing this but Windows Movie Maker only took an hour to save it correctly, minus the aspect ratio. So what do I do to save it correctly without wasting my time?

Sony Vegas looks really good to use but too advanced for what I want to do right now. Ill get Avid FreeDV tonight and try it out.

ThinkPad X31
    P-M 1.6ghz
    512MB RAM
    4200RPM HDD (big bottleneck)

6. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Yikes. I have a 2.8 ghz P4 o'ced to 3.1 ghz, and 1 gb of ram, 7200 rpm hard drive. I gave up editing becuase it was taking so long. Without wasting time, you need a fast comp for vid editing.

7. johnson

johnson New Member

I meant wasting time as in waiting for the thing to get done saving and finding out it's not what I want.

8. johnson

johnson New Member

9. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

The render as options were probably not set the way you wanted, you really need to go in there and check around and make sure you aren't changing aspect ratios, resizing the video, etc, etc. Sony's really cool once you get the hang of it . . took me a weekend to figure out.

I have a dual 3Ghz Xeon with 2 Gbs of ram and dual 160 SATA drives . . . even this thing takes a bit to do some video editing. Most times I get the the way I want, render a portion as a test and fire it up before I leave for the night.

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Nero's encoder allows for almost infinite adjustment during encoding, and it's pretty fast.