Good alarm w/ remote start for Manual trans?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by z284pwr, Oct 16, 2002.

1. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

What alarm do you guys suggest I get that would have remote start that works for a manual trans? Or does any one work, just have to bypass the saftey ignition thing? I'm new with alarms so I don't know what I'm lookin for, I've read that DEI Alarms are the best, but wanna know from experts on what to get, I'll worry about prices later...can't be more than what any car is worth...
    The car is an '88 Chev Beretta 5 Speed Manual

I'm not worried about installer yet, or saftey issues, just looking for the equipment right now..

2. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

Viper 550 ESP, I have it and love it. But most places wont put a remote start on a 5 speed.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS Guest

The Clifford Avantguard 4 has this. There is a routine you have to go through when you park to allow it to start later. Any remote start system will work, but most installers will not put them in for legal/safety reasons. I was quoted $1,200 for this from Ultimate Electronics (only place I could find the damned thing around here). That was like 480 for the alarm and the rest for labor. Very complex system. Cool alarm, but too much $$$ for my taste.

Also FYI: Clifford, Viper, Sidewinder, Python, Valet, Rattler, Wasp, Avital, and Hornet are all made by DEI.

4. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll start looking more into it now
    How experience do you have to be to be able to install an alarm/starter by yourself, I've never installed one, but I've got 2 people that are very skilled with wiring. Or would it just be better to have a place install it?
    Thanks again for the replies..

5. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

It's complicated, unless you've put in alarms before, dont try it.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS Guest

Agreed. When mine was put in, it was installed by the senior installer at the shop, and it took him 8 hours to install it. Of course he soldered and taped all the splices (no crimps) and buried the system deep in the dash. When he was done you could not tell the stock wiring from the alarm wiring. And mine was a simple system without remote start.

Your better off getting it done in a shop. Look around, compare not only the alarm price, but the total price with labor and "extras".

7. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Tomorrow is Friday, maybe we'll go looking around tomorrow and see whats out there

8. matt_c

matt_c Guest

super mega bump

Is $250 a good price for this alarm (Viper 550) installed? The guy selling it says they go for $400.

9. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

well considering that the viper 550 has been replaced by the 560 (essentially the same thing other than there are slight changes in the remote, and in the remote start relay bank) that is a pretty good price. judging by the fact that you are doing this in a chevy baretta (assumng the car is still the same) i would say about 300 max would be the most i would pay for the alarm and install. and by the way, even with it being a manual tranny, it shouldn't take more than a few hours to do the alarm.

10. matt_c

matt_c Guest

Beretta? :confused: This is going on an S10. Thanks for the info.

11. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

I'm confused.

The original post says its going in a Beretta.

12. matt_c

matt_c Guest

Sorry, that was another guy. I just did a search for Viper 550 and saw this post.

13. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

check out the jt4 model from jti... its one of the only ones out there made for a manual transmission, and its the safest ive seen ever.

jti is only a few years old so you may not recognize it as a brand name, but its definately going to be one in the future.

plus you wont have a rigged remote start where some "installer" simply bypassed the neutral safety switch, allowing you the excellent opportunity of accidentally starting your car and running someone over because you left it in gear

hope this helps

14. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

Dont blame it on the installer. The 'customer' is the fucking retard that WANTS that 'excellent opportunity' of killing somebody.

15. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

absolutely not. ive both worked in 12 volt and have been a hobbiest for years, many times ive seen this very thing and the customer, for lack of technical knowledge has no idea how potentially dangerous this is. the "installer" on the other hand DOES know, and should refuse accordingly, to install a remote start on a manual transmission when the unit is not made for that type of application.

an uninformed customer is hardly "the fucking retard" that you have made them out to be.

16. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

Exactly how much 'technical knowledge' does it take to understand what will happen if a car starts when it is in gear?

Not shitting you, I just asked my 15 year old sister what a car would do if it was started in gear, and her reply was 'i dunno... probably fly though the garage'

If a customer doesnt understand THAT much, they shouldnt be operating a remote start unit to begin with.

17. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

thats great, now go ask one of your sisters friends what would happen if they had a manual transmission vehicle and they had a remote start installed on it.... i seriously doubt they would tell you it shouldnt be done because its unsafe.

im not trying to debate this with you, especially after this topic has grown so old and my last reply was over 2 weeks ago. ive worked in 12 volt too long to want to bother and i know what ive seen/experienced.

18. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

Right... it takes too much brain power to understand what will happen. :ugh:

Listen... I'm not saying that it should be done. I KNOW it shouldn't be done. I'm just stating that I'm sick and tired of having customers argue with me when I explain to them that I can NOT install one like that, explain what could potentially happen if I DID install one like that, but for whatever reason they still ask 'well why not.' It's my job to inform the customer, but if they're just going to sit there and argue about it then fuck it. I'm not going to be held liable for something like that... hence the reason i would never put one of those in stick equiped car.

I seriously hate people in general. I need to get out of anything retail... because people just piss me off. Understanding what a car will do if started in gear is about as elementary as taking 2 + 2. If somebody has driven a manual car for more than a month, they understand what happens if the car is in gear and the clutch is applied. Ignorance is no excuse.

If there are specific units out there that tailor to a manual transmissioned car, then by all means... I'll recommend to my customer to check that unit out. But they just dont seem to want to take 'no' for an answer... that is what frustrates me.

Can you tell that I hate retail? :wtcd:

19. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

haha, retail does have its bad times, and then it has its worse times. its isnt bad all the time tho... just the worse times always seem to be the ones we remember and the pleasant times are the ones we never appreciate.

how long you been in retail? 12 particularly.

kinda figured you were some manner of installer by the way you took exception to my "installer" comment. most of mine (installers) were prima-donnas and i hated them more than the customer most of the time.

20. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

I've been in retail for about 5 years. 12Volt for about 3 years. I started in sales, then moved to install, then moved back to sales. I hate it. :wtcd:

21. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

i was in retail from 16 to 26, worked in 12volt for 6 of those. started in install, only worked about 6 months there and moved to manager, then managed 2 shops shortly after while working another part time job for the bene's... boss went to ces for a week, one of his friends irritated me on a day i worked 16 hrs total and nothing was going right, tried to crush his skull with a heavy object and was told i needed to apologize for what i did wrong when my boss came back from vegas... quit.

being a hobbiest is far more fun and reminded me why i got into 12volt to begin with. i still work for my old boss from time to time also built alot of boxes for him last summer, i do miss retail sometimes but i guess ill have to agree with you more than i did in my last post... retail does suck.

moral of the story, dont work too much and especially in retail... and dont try to murder your boss' friend while hes away, no matter how much he bothers you.

do you work for a chain or for a smaller shop?