Good A/T tire for my 4runner

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tuner, Oct 12, 2005.

1. tuner

tuner I know you're thinking bacon and eggs.

Most of the time its on the commute around town, but im looking for something that will provide decent off-road and is quiet.

I thinking of a set of Wranglers, anyone know of a good tire. Probably 31-32"

2. DCM

DCM New Member

Check into the Yokohama Geolandars as well... Friend had em on his truck, and they were pretty quiet. Dunno much else about them though, but it's worth a look.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I would avoid Wranglers like the plague. During my time busting tires, I don't think I came across too many of them that I could call round.

Your money is better spent with either the Pirelli Scorpions or Nitto Terra-Grapplers. I'd go with the Nittos myself although I put a set of 31x10.50-15 Pirellis on my Bronco (that I recently sold)

4. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

Geosquealers ftl.

5. DCM

DCM New Member

I'll have to remember that, I've never owned 'em. Friend swore by them so I thought I'd throw it out there. They are pretty cheap though. :o

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Michelin LTX M/S

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

:dunno:
    not much of an A/T tire although I'd rock those for street use over pretty much anything else.

8. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

They came OE on my gf's turbo Forester. They squeal all the time when you make tight turns.

9. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

He probably never goes off-road, but when you do they perform well. My folks had a set on their K1500 and they were fantastic overall.

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I loved the Pirelli's on my Bronco. No real complaints and the price was great.

If we'd have had them in stock, I'd have gone with the Nitto's though. Kinda sucks not working at a tire shop anymore...I used to come across a ton of cool shit for free.

11. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's according to tirerack they are the best out there for your situation... I know a few people with full size Chevys that love them. I have seen them offroad too and they do decent...not as good as BFG AT's but they are not as agressive tread either.

Check them out at tirerack...

12. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

I'll recommend the BFG A/T KO's but man... they have pretty stiff sidewalls and they made the ride on my Tacoma a tad stut-tut-tuttery on gravel roads and/or on washboard sections of trails. Awesome tire for snow, good for sand, decent for mud, great for wet roads.

Michelin LTX is also a great tire with impressive lifetime mileage, from what I have seen. I would like to try the Nittos myself though, apparently they're a pretty good bang/buck brand.

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The BFG's are a little stiffer because they use a 3 ply sidewall while most others are 2 ply.

I think the Nitto sports a 3-ply as well and is a better tire as far as roundness. The only exception are the BFG's that get made in Japan. They are top quality. They are also a little tougher to find but are becoming more popular.

I'd go with the Nitto's although I can't say anything bad about he Pirelli's I had.

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

:werd: to Clean97.. Pirellis are awesome tires for the money. I'd put em up against my BFGs, even, but I don't know about the sidewall on the Pirellis. I had 45000 miles on my Scorpion A/Ts, and at least 10,000 of those off road. No flats, no premature tread wear, excellent in all on road weather conditions, great in most off road, pack with mud just like every other AT, but great in sand, packed dirt, and rock.