MMA gonna fight at the next efc event

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sgt. Ownage, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

arright so ive never even really been in a fight cause no one trys to fight me, but i just decided that im gonna fight in this event called extreme fighting challenge www.extremefightingchallenge.net

the event they have is in april, but im not gonna fight that soon, and they dont announce the next event date tille after the current one which im guessing will be in june some time

im a good wrestler and very good at takedowns and throws (and probably getting submissions once i learn them)

what i wanna know is how important is boxing skills in ufc style fights? i have a friend thats gonna teach me and sparr with me.

what all should i work on by june? toughness isnt a problem, neither is stamina.

what techniques should i focus on and what should i lookout for if my tendancies are to go right for a takedown.

i watch ufc on spike and thats about it...i dont really know shit, i just wanna fight and see how tough i really am. thanks

2. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

personally i would start with taekwondo, gsp, bonner and loiseau are all tkd proponents and have some stunning spinning back kicks.

3. Sgt. Ownage

i dont really have any money for formal class training...mostly just relying on connections

4. Sgt. Ownage

also if it helps at all right now im about 230 8-9% bf, but ill probably come into thew fight at around 245

5. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Theres a lot more to it than strength in this kind of thing. How close do you live to michigan again? I train with a lot of amateur mma fighters and will help you out. I live about 30 minutes north of toledo.

6. Placebo

Placebo New Member

BTW you having a good wrestling base is very good. Since you are already working with a boxer try and see if you can find someone that does bjj. Your wrestling isn't that useful without subs and basic sub defense if you plan on taking someone down.

7. Sgt. Ownage

oh i know there a lot more than strength...lol

im very quick for my size and have good grappling technique from wrestling...i just need to know important other techniques

i live in columbus, but im going to EMU early april so ill call you...pm me your number

8. phish

phish hockey crew

Learn some BJJ. Boxing is only so good on your feet. If your opponent tries to shoot and takes you down and he has better ground skills than you, chances are you'll be tapping out quick

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

jesus you are a big guy... well I am sure you will be good in terms of strength. And if you are a better wrestler than your opponent, punish him by never letting him on top of you (take him down at will). And boxing is pretty important, but if you can always take the guy down... then learning to punch the guy after taking him down is even more important. In terms of submissions, hopefully your friends will be able to teach you somewhat. If you don't get em down in time, at least practice defending against them.

10. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

For standup: Hit hard, hit fast, and hit often.

Boxing skills would help in a UFC style fight, but honestly if you can guard yourself alright that's good enough. Most UFC fighters suck at standup.

11. Wow I didn't know you were that big. Stamina in the ring is very different. You need to get used to being hit in the face and body or else you're going down on the first moderately clean strike.

Work a lot on your boxing. Learn the jab and a simple 1-2 combo. Practice kicks on a bag. Drill everything as much as possible to build muscle memory and condition your limbs. I would first learn all of the techniques and then drill them at fight speed, resting at the first sign of fatigue to minimize creating bad habits. Delay the sparring until you get everything down and can actually fight.

For takedowns, misdirection is important. You should throw a few jabs or some front kicks before shooting in.

You might want to pick up some instructional vids on the tracker.

12. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Come on now.

13. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I pmed you. We'll definately train sometime

14. inamorata

inamorata New Member

I'm not one of those traditional martial arts haters, but I obtained my black belt in tae kwon do and think its near useless for MMA. After training muay thai in Thailand for a while I found it much more applicable. Your wrestling is going to be a great base but if that promotion gets any decent fighters you're going to have to really work on your sub defense. Being tough isn't going to stop an armbar or a choke.

15. Sgt. Ownage

yeah im very confident i will be the one getting the takedown if any

16. Sgt. Ownage

thanks for the good advice man

17. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I think we should really be telling this guy to focus on his base strength which is wrestling. If he's going to start fighting in 6 months or less, thats not enough time to build up a good stand up (especially if he doesn't have the money to consistently go and train in stand up).

I believe (just my opinion, I respect the other ppl's opinions also in here) that you should work on setting up a takedown with a couple punches. Fedor is great at this, he would throw in a 1, 2 (jab, cross) and immediately follow up with a tie up or takedown. You really need to find someone that trains in some sort of submission grappling and show you what to do and what not to do when in someone's guard. And from there, you work on the gNp (ground and pound) and/or passing the guard into side mount where you could throw knees to the body or forearms to the head (depending on the rules, I'm too lazy to look em up my bad) and maybe to mount if you have enough control.

Also if you can, find out who you're going to fight and try to get info. on him, is he a stand up fighter? A jiu jitsu guy? Or a wrestler like you? Or is he just a mix of all 3 and a well balanced guy? And draw up a gameplan with one of your "connections" and work on those during training.

My cousin once told me this, Don't wrestle a wrestler, don't box a boxer. Look what happened to Tito Ortiz against Chuck Liddel, Ortiz base is wrestling but yet he wanted to stand with Chuck but got KO'd in the end.

GL to you and hope you kick ass.

18. Sgt. Ownage

good input thanks man

as far as matching me up, the guy running it puts contrasting styles together so ill be against a non wrestler likely is what im told

19. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yes but after you get the takedown do you know what to do? Maybe learn a couple really easy submissions and some control on the ground and you can Ground and Pound for a win.

Are elbows allowed on the ground or at all?

20. Sgt. Ownage

elbows, knees, and forearms are allowed in all positions

21. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I would learn how to elbow and knee effectively on the ground if you are a wrestler and are looking to take him down.

22. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah definately play off your strengths. Keep your guard up and your chin down, set up the takedown, and go for the GnP. Have someone help you with how to pass guard and get a good top position and drop elbows.

23. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

full contact TKD is a lot more useful than the traditional TKD for sport

24. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

side control, knees to head and body :bowdown: