gonna buy a '97 integra...questions...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dem_bones, Apr 14, 2004.

1. dem_bones

dem_bones I was saying boo-urns.

i'm gonna be looking at a '97 integra on saturday (april 17). everything sounds good except for the price. here's the info i have on the car...

*no accidents, 80000 km (i'm in vancouver), 1 owner, i don't think it has a sunroof, power windows but no power door locks, excellent condition, no major repairs, black, leather interior, 5 speed. that's all i can remember right now. there may be more so if you want more info, just ask. guy said he's selling b/c he got married last year and the wife is making him sell since they're starting a family. got servicing done at the dealership for the first 3 years then went to midas or some crap afterwards. he has service records for tune ups, etc.

also, it's a private sale and it's advertised as anniversary edition. is this the ls?

he's asking $15,900 (cdn) and i realize that's a lot more than it should be. he said he's not firm on the price. what would a fair price be?

i've printed some ads to show him the car goes for less. i'm not going for those cars b/c they are 4 door, wrong color, etc.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  2. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

take the car to your personal mechanic, and have him check the whole car, including the engine. i learned from buying a car that looked "nice" with service records, so i paid premium price for it, just to find out the prev owner lied a whole lot about it, so now im spending thousands of dollars trying to fix it.

what is 15,900 in US? something like 10-12k?

too much to pay for a 97 integra

3. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

with no power locks its the lowest model RS I believe.

not worth the price at all

4. hott-nix

hott-nix New Member

i paid 12,000 cdn for a fully loaded 97 gsr with 140,000kms
    i think you could get a better price

5. dem_bones

15900 cdn is just under 12000 usd.

i did mention that i realize that 15900 is too much. what i was asking was how much should aim to pay for it.

yeah. when i finally find a car, i am going to get the history check, lien check, and get bcaa to do their 100 or 150 point inspection or whatever it is. thanks for the advice though. i probably will take it to a mechanic anyways.

12000 cdn?!?!?! that's pretty damn good. any accidents, major repairs or anything?

6. hott-nix

hott-nix New Member

nope, it was pretty much mint condition except for the paint being a bit faded in some places and the engine bay being a bit dirty

the carfax came back squeeky clean and i'm only the 3rd owner

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

i would say nowhere over 10k(us) prolly. i never remember cdn conversions, but thats prolly like 12-13k cdn. like the others said, just make sure its in good condition, checked by someone that either you pick, or who you know to be impartial to the sale.

8. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

that'll be an RS with the special edition package.

no sunroof, no power door locks, no abs, and no leather (probably aftermarket if it has it)

but it does come with power windows, air conditioning, alloy wheels and a spoiler

Those cars were about 22k brand new just as a starting point, so to say it has only depreciated $6k in the last 7 years is pretty optimistic even if it is in immaculate condition.

9. dem_bones

thanks for the info people. :bigthumb:

here's an update on my car hunting.

i found a 97 gs integra. with 99000 km (yes...km....remember, i'm in canada).
    it's from an acura dealership. accident of $3000 cdn and going for $15000 cdn. excellent exterior insanely clean interior. 1 previous owner. the guy at the dealership said he'll check to see if the timing belt has been changed and if it hasn't, then they'll change it for me. i test drove the car and it drives fine. it needs a tune up but he said they'll tune it up as well.

the acura dealership is certified...so what exactly does this mean? he showed me the history check and said they do lien checks on all the cars b/c they gotta protect themselves as well. do i trust him or should i get those checked anyways?

can you guys suggest anything else i should ask or find out about the car. i'm going to try to make a deal tomorrow (thurs. apr. 21). if all goes well. i'm goind to get it inspected by bcaa.

10. rdelar03

rdelar03 Guest

i just bought a 97 integra 90,000 miles for 4,500 dollars ... 5 speeds and RS model .. so do the math