Golf/GTI TDI Questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by machine81, May 17, 2006.

1. machine81

machine81 New Member

I'm looking to add a new-to-me car to my stable and am interested in a diesel. Here are my questions:

1) How reliable is the engine? I've heard it's pretty bulletproof, but I'd like to hear it first-hand.

2) Does it accelerate decently? The HP is very lacking, but is the torque enough to pull you away from a stoplight nicely?

3) How much stuff can you fit in the hatchback? Would say, a 25" TV fit back there? Does the seat fold completely flat?

4) What kind of mileage does it get? I've heard it can get upward of 50mpg.

5) Does it have problems starting in cold temps? It rarely dips below 20 degrees here, will that be a problem?

2. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

1) Extremely reliable. 400, 500k miles is not uncommon. They don't really have the typical problems that most other vw engines do (coil packs, vr6 head gaskets, etc)

2) 0-60 in about 10 seconds. They're slow, but they don't feel slow because of the torque

3)Seats do fold flat, and with the seats folded, i'd say you'd easily be able to fit a 25" TV. You could probably almost stuff 3 of 4 golf bags back there with the seats up.

4)40-50mpg and even higher is normal and not uncommon

5)No problems starting in cold weather. I have lots of friends that drive them in -30 deg F weather. They're not like your typical truck diesel that you're probably thinking of. And when its cold out, you might as well just get in it and drive, allowing for no warm up time. The reason for this is because at idle, the engine won't heat up enough to actually produce enough heat for the passenger compartment.

3. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

If you are interested in upping your power a bit, there are a handful of things you can do for very cheap to give you enough power to tow a house.

4. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

yeah, 300tq is not that difficult to achieve with just a couple mods. the thing is though, with 300tq they still are only a 16 second car (and thats for reference to other cars, all you drag race haters :big grin: )

5. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

i have an 01 golf tdi. turbo went at 100k ish but other than that it has been reliable.

torque is enough to pull away from a stoplight respectably and i have the older 90hp engine(155 ft-lbs i think). you can chip it.

you can fit a lot of stuff in the hatchback, seats fold flat. really dont know about your tv question. go on edmunds and compare the cargo area to other cars you are familiar with maybe?

i get somewhere between 40-50. i don't know exactly because hey, thats plenty for me. i feel like i rarely fill up. 500-600 miles/tank easy.

no problem starting in cold here but i don't think it gets much below zero. you just have to wait a little longer for the glow plug light to go out. and yes, the only thing that bugs me is the car does not warm up like a gas car. the first 10 mins of commute in the winter is pretty chilly. i don't have the heated seats but those might make it a little more manageable.

gti != tdi btw, in the us anyway. i think there is a gt-tdi or similar in europe or something.

6. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

See my post about the TDI in this forum. Will give you some good info on how I feel about mine.

7. DK

DK New Member

nothing much too add besides i have a mate who takes his mkIV tdi to switzerland every year (115 hp version) for our yearly skiing trips. temps get below -20°C and we don't have a garage. no probs with the diesel, though, starts fine every morning.

there have been some minor issues with a lot of friends' early mkIVs, especially electronic stuff, but from what i hear its all sorted out these days.