Golds Gym

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ricey McRicerton, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I've checked out a few places locally and Golds seems to be the last on my list of places to check and I'm most inclined to go with this one because it's the closest to my house.

Anyone here lift at Golds and have any idea of what I should be looking at as far as prices? I don't want to walk in there and get bent over a table just because I don't know what I'm looking at.

Theres a mom and pop gyms around this area that I looked at. The DBs only go up to 80 lbs, which I'm not willing to do, and it's more of a soccer moms gym. I used to lift at the YMCA, but it's slammed at the times that I'd be going in. I also checked out a 24 hour fitness ( I think that's the name of it) and it seemed pretty decent, but it's about 20 minutes out from the house, and if I can find a closer one, I'd like to.

The Y was 400 dollars for a year, prepaid. The 24 hour fitness was 29 a month with no contract (I'm sure theres a signup fee, but we didn't get that far into it before I had to go). They also have free tanning (I do it every now and then; it seems to keep my skin from breaking out), free boxing, and and indoor basketball courts. There's only one squat rack, but I'd be willing to bet it doesn't get used for much but curls. The mom and pop place was closer to 40 a month, but includes all the free spinning classes and junk like that I want.

Thanks for the advice guys.

2. Knightmare X

Knightmare X OT Supporter

I believe all the Gold's are individually owned so they are different, I was paying like $30 for a student rate and there is like $100 signup fee. They don't really have anything besides weight equipment and cardio machines with netpulse. The prices are being raised now but they are also constructing tons of new stuff like a pool, bball court, etc. That 24 hour fitness you mentioned sounds like a pretty good deal.

3. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

I pay $45/month, no sign-up fee, 2 year contract :( Tons of equipment, and tons of people

4. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

same here, except i think my contract ran out a few months ago

5. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I started off by paying $35 a month, now my rate is up to $49 out of no where.

6. Ricey McRicerton

Well, I just went and signed with them.

1 dollar application fee, and 40 a month on a year contract. I can live with that. Closest to the house, it's huge, but it's going to be packed I imagine pretty much whenver I go. I sat and bullshitted about hs and college wrestling with the guy showing me around, and he said it was slow right then, and it was fairly busy IMO.

Here's hoping I can put on 20 lbs in the coming year.

7. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I like my 24, though its shitty packed monday, tuesday, and wednesday. Thats my only complain\t.

8. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

biggest problem i have with Gold's is how hard it is to get out of paying them. they continue to charge you after your contract is up and require a certified letter to the gym to cancel your membership, then they charge you for one more month. For people that have a lot of shit to do, sending a certified letter can be a pain in the ass. And their music sucks too. However, the usually have good equipment and its usually clean.

9. :werd: i had the same problems

10. Alias

Alias OT Supporter

what the bloody fuck :ugh:

mines 37 per month

11. Alias

Alias OT Supporter

:werd: the equipment at my golds is nothing short of excellent.

but the music is balls. they played brittney spears - oops i did it again the other day... i was like ":hsugh: well, good thing i'm on my way out cuz i'd probably leave anyways"... forgot my ipod that day :o

12. Capo Di Tutti

Capo Di Tutti 24/Heroes/DSLR Crew OT Supporter

i pay $22 a monthand it only cost me $5 to sign up

13. Ricey McRicerton

I kinda noticed that when I was in there. I'm going to be bringing my Dell DJ anyways. I hate talking to people at the gym. I'm there to lift, not to talk to you about your day at work.

14. dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman the colonel has arrived.

my gold's is 29 a month with no signup fee, i like it.

15. PPen131

PPen131 Hook 'em! OT Supporter

i go to a local gym here. i should have signed up for 2yrs last year when it was 99bucks/yr. it's 250 now, but that's still a great deal

16. Ricey McRicerton

Went and worked out there tonight for the first time. It was leg day. They have a TON of machines. I'm still trying to figure out where everything is, but everybody there working out seems friendly enough.

17. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i had to shell out $500 to join, signup fee and 2 months payments.

i had no choice, it was them or a fitness club with children :ugh:

plus i live in one of the most expensive areas in the country. so i was fucked either way.

sucks when golds is your only option :hs:

18. venger240

venger240 Hoemoe

I go to golds, pay 25 a month, no signup fee. I like it, dbs go up to 120, a ton of equipment, only ever packed during the peak hours, otherwise its pretty open. I know most of the regulars now. I hardly ever see any real big guys though and I see a ton of newbies. Also January is a pain the ass with all the new years resolution people. I cant wait to wear my new shirt this year. "Move over, I was here in December."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.