SRS going under the knife tomorrow? ( right section? )

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by A Cow, Jul 10, 2007.

1. A Cow

A Cow OT Supporter

well i bustimcated my arm about a month ago... cast put on 3 weeks ago... and now i need surgery.. ( its shifting and hurts like crazy )

anways.. im freaked as shit why? well there operating at the same place my dad has been operated on 4 times and now he has no feeling in his hand.. so im scared shitless.. so thats my peace..

also does anyone know il still need a cast after getting a pate in my arm? ive been wanting to go to the beach really bad this summer and cant with a cast cause of sand and water

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Are you using the same doctor as your dad? I would suggest a different doc.

I think when you get a plate, you still need to wear a cast.

Fuck the beach. Give your arm time to heal....you don't want to end up like your dad now do ya?? Well....here's your sign.

3. A Cow

A Cow OT Supporter

diffrent doc.. but never the less.. freaky ass shit..

damnit i hate this bloody cast..

and.. lol easy to say.. not to do.. ive been suck in my house perty much ( cant go drinking etc because of all the meds ) since my car crash that was on the 2nd day of nice weather.. so im choked..

o yea.. and get to spend my bday.. permafried.. ( 16th ) yay!... and i wanted to at least do something fun.. lol..

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I had a cast on my right arm after a car accident where I broke it. It was on for 6 weeks and I'm right handed. It was a bitch brushing my teeth and doing all the other things I do with my left hand and I got really depressed about it.

I remember thinking, this is never going to go away...eventhough I knew it would. I was just being a lil bitch about it.

Look at it this way, you can have a lil fun now with the potential for long term pain. OR you can have short term pain for the potential for long term fun. I'd take the long term fun and give my arm time to heal.....and that's exactly the choice I made back then. Yeah it sux but I like having a pain free arm.

5. johan

johan Active Member

why dont you ask these questions of your doctor? Without knowing the procedure you're getting it's hard to say.

In general, however, if you're having an open reduction, internal fixation done then you won't have a cast per se, but you will have an air bandage and support. This comes off after a few weeks, and you should stay away from too much sand and water in the meantime.

But I highly recommend you get this taken care of. If its serious enough to require a plate.....I think you know the obvious path here.

6. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

i would go to a totally different practice if your father came out and has no feeling in his hand now. Doctors that practice together usually use the same procedures.

It's possible you may need a cast on your arm if you have a plate in there, depending on if the doctor doesn't want range of motion at the joints.

7. mrchina

mrchina Guest

You'll have plenty of time to go to the beach in the coming years, but you'll never have a chance for your hand to properly recover if you decide not to follow dr's instructions.

8. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

Hey,

I had surgery for a wrist fracture. I don't know if it's exactly the same for your arm, but I'll tell you my experience. I had metal plates inserted on both sides of my wrist. After the surgery, my arm that wasn't operated on remained numb for 3 days then gradually became better. I had a cast on even after the operation because the metal plates simply hold the bone in place until you heal. The bones actually have to set before the swelling goes down and your bone is strong enough to completely take off the cast.

As for your father, there are always risks involved in surgery, which is why I will never get the metal plates removed from my arm unless I absolutely need to. He probably got his nerves cut in his arm. You should ask yourself if the benefits of the surgery outweigh any possible side effects. BTW, those kinds of problems you mention aren't that common. Talk about it with your doctor.