GUN Going to take the NRA Pistol Instructor class...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, May 18, 2008.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Scrotum: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I've been wanting to take some classes (both tactical and instructor type) for a while now. A range/shop near me is putting on a 2-day class to give you the NRA Pistol Instructor certification.

From what I've seen, it'll give me the chance to teach the First Steps and Basic Pistol courses if I want to.

Any NRA instructors here? Any thoughts on the class/certification whether good or bad (or worthless)??

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Got mine last fall. I think it was worth it just for the discounts. Took the class with 5 of my buddies, it was a lot of fun. Supposed to be taking shotgun and rifle sometime soon.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Scrotum: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

What kind of discounts will I get? I didn't know about that. :coold:

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Boring. Very boring. Even with a good instructor.

The NRA Instructor Cert is one of the few nationally recognized certifications out there. I think it's worth while but it's a very, very dumbed down curriculum that does not cover defense in any way.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

I'm one. It's boring. It's not a very deep course to teach, but the course is designed to teach someone who has never held a gun how to shoot.

6. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

I need to look into this as well.

7. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Appreciate the honesty and I somewhat assumed it would be like that. I hope to take more instructor classes with this one under my belt.

I would love to teach tactical classes and whatnot, but I don't know how to go about getting qualified to teach them. Seems like most instructors are former military/SF or former LEO/SWAT. :hs: