SRS Going to see a therapist in a week.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Speed_Demon1965, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Speed_Demon1965

Speed_Demon1965 New Member

So some of you may remember my thread awhile back about my depression.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3262744

I've finally setup an appointment with a therapist for next Monday. I'm kind of happy and nervous about going. I'm happy because I am finally on the track to getting better, but am nervous about telling a complete stranger my personal feelings and how I feel on a daily basis.

I have so many things I want to tell them, but am worried that I wont remember all the things I think about that bring me down because I will be so nervous. Give me some advice and share your personal experiences with me.

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Spend some time today thinking about the subjects you want to cover with the therapist and write them down. Take this list with you.

Also realize that therapy is a process, not a destination. It didn't take you 1 day to get into your present state so it won't take a day to get out of it.

Therapy takes time, commitment, and patience. The one principle that I applied to all my therapy sessions and I know it helped me tons, was the principle of rigorous honesty. That means I'm totally, 100% honest with my therapist, no matter how embarrassing or shame filled it is.

There were times when I was so sick of living with some issue that I'd go into a session and just hit my therapist with it right off the bat. I'd cut the small talk and friendly warming up time to a bare minimum and just say, "Look, I've got to talk to you about something." then puke out whatever was bothering me. Then go from there.

Just be totally honest about all aspects of the subjects you are discussing. Even if it means addressing issues you'd rather not...or you wish that would just go away. Honesty IMO is the most important aspect of therapy.

Good luck and God Bless.

3. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

:h5: Congratulations on taking the first step to bettering yourself. It is a very admirable undertaking. I'm a big advocate of therapy. You can read my long-winded response here to another thread so I don't have to repeat myself:

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=81240910&postcount=6

I find talking to a therapist to be far easier than talking to friends or family about my problems. They're a neutral party. They don't know anything about you that you don't tell them and they have no emotional investment in you. It's their job to help you get better. They see people like you every single day. They've heard it all. There's nothing you can say to embarrass yourself.

All you can really do is be completely honest with them and with yourself. You're building up your profile with them with everything you tell them. You're giving them the evidence they need to get to the root of your problems and help you.

It might take a session or two to warm up. That's perfectly fine. If the therapist makes you feel comfortable right away, that's a great sign. Maybe after a few sessions you'll find that you're not happy with the therapist. That's fine; cut ties and move on to another therapist. The most important thing is to find a therapist that you can truly connect with. People "test drive" therapists all the time; that's what everyone should do. Don't be afraid to.

Best of luck, mate.

4. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

I recently started seeing a psychologist to deal with my ADD, depression, anxiety, and so on. Its been going great, I feel so much better now then before. And I'm constantly improving everyday.

Don't be nervous, he's not there to judge you.

And I have the same problem remembering things, don't worry about it, just start talking, you'll start feeling better as you feel more comfortable talking to the person. And remember, you don't need to get everything off your chest at one, one subject might lead to another, and so on. If you forget something, so what? You bring it up next time!

I also have a lot of thoughts about suicide, but thats the negative part of me, all its going to do is bring me down, so I try to stay focused on the positive side of things, and try to improve myself and better my situation.

You cant do everything at once, so just go there, relax, and just start talking. You can only do so much at a time :)

Hope everything goes well! :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  5. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

It is so awesome that you've decided to do this!! Congrats!! :bigthumb: I'm pumped for you :coold:

6. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

Congrats, man.

I started talking to a therapist as well. I was just like you, in the sense that I was pumped and nervous at the same time. I don't like being judged, and I don't like opening up to strangers (at least that can look me back in the eye).

I have issues that have been following me around for years that I want to shed so I can move forward with my life. They've been preventing me from maintaining a functional relationship and just holding me back in general. I put this off for so long for one reason or another, and the problem was ... I needed to do it.

So far, so good. We have made a lot of progress, and my "girlfriend" sat in for a session as well. Holy CRAP was that introspective.

7. xfuneral4aheart

xfuneral4aheart New Member

Its great that you are getting help :)

I was thinking the same things when I first saw my therapist. I was uneasy about talking to a stranger about my personal life. I talked about it to my mom and she brought up the point that the best thing about a therapist is that since they do not know you, they cannot judge you.This helps the patient open up to them more. It might feel uncomfortable at first, but as you go through more appointments, you will find that it is easier to open up and just get things off your chest.

8. phill

phill Jesus Christ Monkey Balls

the process of self-discovery is an invaluable one.

it's been said already so I'll just reiterate everything that has been expressed so far.

have an idea of what you want to 'accomplish' with your therapy. keep your expectations reasonable. welcome change and advice from your therapist. some of what you may hear could be scary or disconcerting, but remember that they are trying to assist you.

honesty is key. building a relationship with your therapist is paramount and after time, they will be able to figure out what's eating at you. and that's a pretty special moment when they can look at you and go right into what you need to work on for the week.

good luck and god bless!

9. Speed_Demon1965

Speed_Demon1965 New Member

Hey guys, here's an update.

I went in today and met him. He's a Psychiatrist by the way. He was a nice guy and seemed really down to earth.

Basically he asked me a few questions and I gave a little extra input on stuff I wanted to tell him. He told me that so far it seems as if I have symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. With that, I setup an appointment to see him again next week so we can talk more and work on things or whatever.

I think I'm going to write down some stuff this week that I notice about myself, so I will have a list of things I want to talk to him about.