Going to put in a 250GB drive tomorrow any tips?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Emanon, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Printed out the guide off iFixit and got my 250GB drive in. Cloned it with SuperDuper. Now just need to put it in. Any tips installing one in a 15" MBP? The only problem I see that might happen is getting off the keyboard as the 15" is held on with some clips.

Should be fun.

2. dew

dew Banned

link to the guide?

3. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

4. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Where did you get the HD, and how much? I was thinking of upgrading within the next couple of paychecks...

5. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

I picked up the WD 250GB Scorpio from Newegg for $189 (I think that was the price). It is only 5400rpm but from the reviews I've seen it is pretty speedy for that speed. Should be faster than stock plus the extra room.

Still need to get to the store and pick up a T9 screw driver and will be doing the swap tonight.

6. dew

dew Banned

take pics!

7. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Didn't have a camera on hand :( Waiting for the new canons to hit before picking up a new one.

Well all done. Went pretty well. 195GB free space :bowdown:

My tips would be don't disconnect the keyboard. Just tilt it back against the screen. I didn't want to take the tape off and disconnect it and it didn't have any problems. Also tape the screws to the ifixit guide as you take them out as they are different sizes. Just tape them to the section where you take them out.

Also when you take the hard drive out the guide doesn't tell you but there are two guides on the left side of the drive and two rubber bumpers on the right you need to take off and put on the new drive.

Be careful pulling the wires off the top of the drive so you can just restick it on top of the new drive.

The hardest thing IMO was putting the keyboard back on. I thought I had bent it but you have to really pinch it together on the front to get it to snap back together on the front.

I had thought about paying someone to do this for me but after doing it .....no chance. Just have to take your time and it was pretty easy. Grab a few beers, a clean table, and some spare time and patience and you can do it.

Now what is a good app to test the drive speeds?

8. dew

dew Banned

ill probably do this when i can get a fast 300gb.. no real need for it just yet since my mac is brand new.(its getting here nextweek :run:)

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i kinda laughed at that guide, them showing you how to take it out of the box first :rofl:

10. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

dammit! i wish newegg would ship to canada....

11. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member