GUN Going to purchase my 1st handgun tomorrow, question?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by theLEFTY83, Jan 31, 2006.

1. theLEFTY83

theLEFTY83 New Member

I know some states have a "waiting period" when purchasing a handgun. I'll probably be purchasing from Academy Sports in Texas and was wondering if I will have to wait or can I take the gun home tomorrow?

It's gonna be a Ruger P95 (9mm). Gonna take it to the range on Friday or Saturday...what is some good/reasonable ammo to pickup?

Also, I've never owned a handgun before, I assume I should clean it 1st?

Any special cleaning supplies I'm gonna need different from rifle/shotgun supplies?
    :wiggle:

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I'm not sure if TX has waiting periods..

as far as cleaning it, yeah, clean it, lightly lube it.

and you'll need a small cleaning rod obviously, it might come with one.. or if you have a multi-piece rifle rod, just use one of the sections :o

and nice choice on the gun :coold:

for ammo, if your local walmart sells ammo, the winchester 100 round value packs of 115 grain FMJ (also known as Winchester White Box or WWB) are good deals, at about $11 and change/100 rounds

remington UMC and CCI blazer also seem to be popular range loads

3. Accord

Accord New Member

4. theLEFTY83

theLEFTY83 New Member

should I always go with FMJ?

5. Accord

Accord New Member

Get a 9mm BoreSnake and if Academy has it, some CCI Blazer for dirt cheap.

6. theLEFTY83

theLEFTY83 New Member

I hear stories 'bout dem paper targets. :noes:

7. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

WWB FTW

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

if you're just shooting paper, go with FMJ, its usually cheaper..

if you're using it for a defense gun, get some JHP's

9. 989

989 New Member

Why are you getting 9mm? I personally prefer .40 or .45, depending on what you're using the weapon for. .45 is a GREAT home defense round as it's penetration isn't nearly as strong as a 9mm (read: missing your target and hitting your sister in the next room!) and even if the person is wearing armor, taking a .45 to the chest will lay you out. As already stated, get jacketed hollow point for defense. No need to buy the overpriced 8 pack of hydroshocks, WalMart sells Winchester JHPs that are just fine.

10. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

A 9mm round will penetrate multiple walls. Box o' Truth never lies.

For his first handgun that will be used at the range, he wont need a large round like the .45 and .40 is overkill as well. 9mm is a good cheap range round thats good to learn to shoot with, tried and true.

11. 989

989 New Member

That's right, 9mm WILL penetrate multiple walls, and that's the problem. .45 will also penetrate but is much more easily defeated due to sheer size. I brought a door from a Firebird (80's) to the range and fired everything I had at it. The ONLY round that didn't penetrate EVERY SINGLE TIME was the .45.

9mm is a cheap good target gun, I completely agree. I practice shoot with my .40 though (not too much more money, but it is more expensive) and a good old .22 LR. You can shoot the .22 all day for 10 bucks worth of ammo.

12. lvkyle

lvkyle I am a punk rocker!

fuck a hand gun for home defense. Pickup a mossberg 500 for $220, or get a semi auto 12 gauge. Load it with goose shot or something that wont penetrate, but still easily stop an attacker.

Hand guns are your backups, carry what you can shoot accurately the best.

13. 989

989 New Member

I completely disagree. An experienced shooter should be able to hit what he's aiming at in the dark with his eyes closed. If I ask you to point at your tv from your couch with your eyes closed, you can do it, right? Get good with your weapon and it's simply an extension of your hand. My Taurus Millenium is in my nightstand next to my bed. If I wake up to someone in the house, I can have it in my hand in three seconds with minimal noise and movement. A shotgun, while an excellent and formidable weapon, would need to be under the bed or in plain sight (great for burglars!) to be reached quickly. It's also not easy to manipule the weapon and hard to clear a room if you so desire.

One great thing about a shotty though is anyone in your house when you rack that son of a bitch is going to pucker his asshole so tight he won't fart for a week.

14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

fucking noobs, shut the fuck up already. he didnt ask what kind of gun he should get, he already stated he is getting Ruger P95.

:slap:

15. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

No waiting peroid in TX. for that gun go to walmart and get a box of WWB and go shooting and enjoy

16. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I almost bought that model ruger, it looked good.

There is no waiting in Tejas! Take a drivers licience assuming your a citizen and your good to go.

Walmarts WWB is the shit! Nothing touches it!

Walmart also sells a 9mm cleaning kit with everything you need for $7/$8. Just take a wipe and clean some of the shipping oil out of the barrel and start firing..

On the 9mm/45.. Lets just say you have to hit the target for the round to be effective ;)

17. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'm thinking about a P95 too so post up how like it. I've just been too busy at work to have time do all the footwork for the licensing and BS.

18. theLEFTY83

theLEFTY83 New Member

FYI, I already have a Mossberg 500. This gun is for shooting at the range only & if my shotty runs out of ammo during some home-defense scenario...it'll be my backup? Thanks for the help guys. I'll post after I take it to the range this weekend to let yall know how it was.

19. 989

989 New Member

Hellooooo, it's the internet...of COURSE we're all going to post our opinions and assume ours is the best. :)

20. lvkyle

lvkyle I am a punk rocker!

Hey, protect yourself with whatever floats your boat.
    I do know a shotgun has a much greater chance of stopping someone with one well placed shot than a pistol. And If I'm going to be shooting at any intruder in my house I want him to stop with my first shot.

Ruger makes a good gun. My P89 has been beat to hell and abused by me since i've had it. It always goes boom, I got a 17 round mecgar mag that fits flush so Im sittin on 18 rounds, and my 30 round mag is fun for plinking.

[​IMG]

21. theLEFTY83

theLEFTY83 New Member

I hear hogue makes a good grip for it? I have big hands & I noticed the stock grip is kind of slippery. Where is a good place/internet site to pickup a hogue grip for cheap?

22. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

23. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

neither 9mm nor .45 will have any trouble going through multiple sheetrock walls in a home.

If a .45 could "lay you out" it would also knock the shooter down or rip the gun from his hands.

If you're going to buy hollow point rounds, I'd suggest loading what the police in your area do. Easy court explanation if you ever have to shoot someone.

24. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I had a Hogue on my P-89T and it was Sex