A&P going to NYC, taking both SLR and DSLRs, need tips for film?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ProgWRX, Mar 22, 2004.

1. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

Im going to be in NYC in april, and im taking both the digital rebel and my nikon F80, im wondering if i should buy and develop the film there, or what i can do so the security people at JFK/SJU (my airport) dont fuck up my exposed film ?

2. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

I think according to FAA rules you can "demand" that your photography gear be hand searched, and not subject to x-rays.

Here is the link from the Transportation Security Administration print it out and take it with you, as some security guy, might give you a hard time.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198006eedf

3. 2jz

2jz New Member

yes, you can take your film in a seperate bag and they can search it without running it through the x-ray machine which sometimes does screw up the rolls. whenever i fly somewhere and bring films...i always request a security to hand search my film instead of running through xray.

4. Ardore

Ardore Guest

CRX is the X-ray technique that will damage undeveloped film... the machines they use for carry on do not damage anything under 800.. Usually they have signs up alerting you to this. I always carryon my film and camera bag, partly for the precaution of my checked luggage getting x-rayed without my knowledge... and partly because I work for an airline and am crosstrained to ramp... We had three bags last night fall off the belt loader (meaning they more or less fell about 10 feet)... and I have seen TSA hand search bags and some people do pack their cameras (not just their point and shoot... I've seen some very nice cameras in those bags) and others pack their laptops...