GUN Going to my CCW classes next week but found a possible problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bjonesy77, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

I'm going to my CCW classes next week, but happend to stumble on a small problem. Some of you may have seen my thread in the main forum, but obviously I didn't get a real answer from anybody. I figured you guys would be able to help more than anybody else for obvious reasons.

A while back I was stopped by a cop and ended up getting a citation for less than 100grams of marijuana. It was a simple "ticket" that I had to pay a 110 dollar fine for. I didn't have to go to court or anything. Before you post "potheads shouldn't be able to carry guns anyways" I'm well aware. I'm not a pothead, I was a dumb kid and made a dumb mistake. But will that disqualify me from having a concealed carry permit?

Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate any insight you can provide.

2. I'm not an expert on Ohio law, but I doubt that will disqualify you. You generally have to do something violent, felonious, or be crazy to be disqualified.

3. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Misdemeanor? You're good.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

As far as I know if it's not a felony and you don't confess to it when asked any questions of drug usage you should not get flagged. Now this is dependent on how detailed the process is in your state/county.

If you do get your CCW I would recommend that you act responsibly from here on out. I like to get my drink on but I make sure the guns are put away before I get down with the brew.

5. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

I'm sure it was a misdemeanor, I didnt even have to go to court for it. Just a simple written citation that I paid out the next day. However, the reason I ask is because of this

6. That looks like it could be a problem.

7. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

of course. Like I said, I was a dumb kid that made a dumb mistake. It was 3 years ago to boot.

8. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

Kind of my point. Surely someone has the answer, just need to find that person.

9. I think the answer is right there. You were guilty of an offense involving the illegal possession of a drug.

10. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I live in Ohio, and I'd say there is a pretty good chance you will be denied for it. You could contact the attorney general and confirm before you drop the money on the class and go though the application process. The sheriffs office will pull your record for the application, so will Ohio BCI.

11. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Damn that's surprising.

12. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

which part?

13. That a non-violent misdemeanor would disqualify you?

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Were you under 18 when this happened? If so that may clear you.

You could go through with the process and if you get flagged you get flagged. Also you may choose not to divulge this info if asked on any forms.

I know I'm going to get ripped on because some rightous guy is going to say I'm telling you to lie. I'm not I'm just stating your options and not one you have not already considered.

Lastly I personally don't do any dope other than my booze, but I feel if you want to smoke the pot and can do so responsibly in your own home it should not limit you from owning guns or being able to protect yourself. Unfortunately I don't write the laws. Somebody that does not have the first idea about guns gets to write the gun laws.

15. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

I enjoy drinking just as much as the next guy, but I don't smoke anymore. But I'll have to call the sheriffs dept. or the attorney general tomorrow to find out. Obviously I need to cancel my class reservation if I will be denied the CCW.

I was 18, so its on my adult record if its on my record at all.

16. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Exactly. In AZ, I believe the only misdemeanor that will get you denied is anything related to domestice violence.

17. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The problem with this, there is a yes/no question regarding this on the application in Ohio. Here it is.

If he answers no, and they find it on his record, it's an automatic denial. Also in Ohio, lying on a CCW application is a Class 4 felony.

18. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Less than 100 grams is a minor misdemeanor as OH calls it and is a "citation-only" offense.

Pursuant to Ohio's CCW laws and the actual application you cannot violate Chapter 2925, 3719, or 4729 of the Ohio Revised Code or any other offense similar in a different state. These are all the drug laws for your state...

The "less than 100 grams" that you were cited for will fall under the Chapter 2925 code.

So below one hundred grams falls under (a) which is a violation of 2925 and will require you to answer YES on the application.

***this should not be taken as legal advice ianaay :o

19. sprite

sprite Active Member

:dunno: A citation is not a conviction.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

What is a 100 grams. something like a joint?

21. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Charged, indicted, convicted, pleaded, etc all count the "same" as long as they were performed under §2925

22. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Move across the river, it's better here anyways.

I can fathom few reasons to live in Ohio, especially Cinci considering bliss is just a purple bridge away.

23. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Eh, no. It's about 3.5 ounces, in a lot of states that much will get you charged with felony possession with intent to distribute.

24. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

100 grams in florida will get you a third degree felony 5yr $5k maximum

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Damn that's a lot of dope. I was thinking a misdemeanor was like a joint.