A&P Going to London...need to rent lenses

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Aero277, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

I'm leaving for London in 3 weeks to visit my g/f who's working at an internship there for a few months. While I'm there we'll also be going to Amsterdam for a few days and doing all of the touristy stuff she's been saving for when I come visit.

Right now all I have is my XSi and the 50mm f/1.8, no kit lens, and while I can afford to buy a lens right now, I couldn't comfortably do so and potentially rent another. I know I'll definitely need a wide angle, so I'm debating between the Tokina 11-16 and the Canon 10-22. My real problem is whether I should rent a 17-55(or 50) f/2.8, or get the 70-200 f/2.8L.

I'm just not sure how much use I'd get out of the 70-200, and I'd have to depend on my 50mm for the entire 23-69mm focal range. :hs:

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

when i was in amsterdam i used my 11-16 the whole damn time. the 70-200 would be worthless in amsterdam, unless you want to take spy shots of the girls in the windows.

however, if i had my 17-50 at the time i would have used that the whole time.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I'd say your best bet is the 11-16 and 17-55 combo. You don't really even need to bring the 50.

If you can only have one I'd do the 17-55.

When I was abroad, I took 75% of my photos with a 24-70 and ~25% with my 14-24. (on full frame)

4. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

why not just buy the tammy 17-50?

5. dmora

dmora Guest

wide angle... the end.

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

dawt

this pretty much solves the problem. 17mm is wide enough, even on a crop for touring europe

7. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

10-22 for sure

8. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

I've been wanting to buy the Tamron 17-50, but they get snatched up so quickly, and ideally I'd like to spend less than 325 shipped.

So I'm definitely going to pass on the 70-200. I feel as though I'll really wish I had the 11-16 if I don't rent it. If I buy the 17-50, that'll probably be all I get, but if I rent it, would it be justifiable to rent both lenses?

The only other problem I have is figuring out how I'm going to pack my camera, lens, flash, and laptop as a carry-on in addition to my actual carry-on luggage.

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

What are you photographing? If you want to shoot candids or people you could need the extra reach. If it's architecture then you only need to go wide.

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Aero for what it's worth, let me share my European experience.

I went over there just 3 months after purchasing my D90. I went with the tokina 11-16, nikon 55-200, and a 35 and 50 prime.

Walking around over there switching lenses out was fucking annoying. I was carrying around the lowepro 350 backup on my back the whole time.

I mostly used the wide angle. The 35 prime was 2nd and the 55-200 was 3rd. I think you will enjoy it more with just one lens. People disagree with me, but on a vacation like that the 17mm on the tamron is perfect.

I was flying with my dad yesterday in our small plane. I jumped in the backseat to take pics of our house and stuff. On final approach, I took a picture forward with my dad landing and the runway. Even in that small ass plane, 17mm on the tamron was wide enough.

11. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

I'm going again in fall. The Tamron 17-50 probably won't leave the camera. It's much more fun to take just the body/lens and a small shoulder bag out. I hated trying to find room for the backpack in restaurants/bars/smoke shops.

12. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

It'll pretty much be just architecture and pictures of my g/f and myself. I'm sure I'll take a few candids, but honestly, probably not enough to justify renting and lugging around the 70-200.

I've been looking into bags, and I really, really, don't want to lug around a big bag.