MIL Going to Iraq in 3 weeks, what gear should I get?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MadEmperor, Jun 28, 2005.

1. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

I have received the normal gear (sleeping system, poncho&liner, canteens, camel pack, pack, mags, ect)

I'm still waiting to see if we will get issued googles or wiley x glasses.

I'm thinking about buying a Broomstick handle, and a surefire flashlight for my M16A4.

Btw, I'm a 0341 (mortarman, but will be a rifleman in Iraq) USMC

2. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

wat molle ammo carriers did you get for your IBA (body armor) if its those shitty 2 mag ones then buy 3 mag ones. also buy the 3 mag side by side shingles those are good too. you all dont get issued taclights for your rifles? that sucks. broomstick? are you referring to a forward handgrip, i never heard it called that before i dont think. you will get issued some kind of eye protection it is mandatory for deploying units

3. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

haji beater

4. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

lol we never called it that, he is referring to an actual handle of a broom?

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Since you're a Marine, I'm guessing you'll only be there for 4 months?

Stuff I've sent to my sons (Army & Air Force):

Tactical flashlight (red/white LED)
    sheets and pillow/pillow case for twin bed (Army son was at a shit hole camp for a while w/little-to-no support)
    Wiley ballistic sunglasses (Army son got issued goggles)
    Hand-held DVD player

:eek3: :eek3: :rofl: :eek3: :rofl: :rofl:

6. wayney

wayney New Member

Are you active or reserve/ng? Did you get any personal time off before you leave? I'll ask my friends that just got back to see what they would recommend to bring. I'm still waiting to see where I get stationed before I volunteer to go. I'm reserve going active.

7. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

:rofl: !!!

8. wayney

wayney New Member

I just asked my friend, he said to just bring whatever will keep you sane, i.e. playstation, computer, etc. You get to bring a duffle bag full of personal stuff. Since you can get most of the stuff you need there or by having it shipped, you won't need to bring much. You'll know what you need when you get to your station.

9. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

i dont know about the marines, but we get 14 days of leave before we deploy. im really looking forward to those 14 days in a few months.

oh, and ill be taking like 100 cartons of newports :), and my mp3 player, psp, digital camera, and some other shit. im not sure if i want to take my laptop.

10. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

:wavey: i'm making ridiculous amounts of sheraton points this week :rofl:

11. x6ftundx

x6ftundx New Member

check this page out

http://www.lapolicegear.com/deploymentgear.html

I used it to get ideas to send stuff to my cousin in IRAQ. He says that most of the stuff on this page he can really use. Also when you get over there go to www.anysoldier.com and put your name in. You will get some care packages from the US.

They are right about not taking a lot of stuff as can get it mailed to you later. It takes about 7 days to get stuff from my house in Florida to Camp Normandy. I would probably take anything that you don't want broken as I don't think a playstation would survive. I will say that I did send him some Wiley-X SG1 glasses and they did make it.

When you have your family ship packages to you, have them go to the post office they have 'flat rate' boxes. You can fill the boxes up and have them shipped to you for only $7.70. They come in two sizes.

12. pakman

pakman New Member

If you're going to be a gunner, definitely get a tube scarf. That thing has been God-send for me since it's so damn dusty around here. Also depending on where you go, you can get cigarettes extremely cheap. The camp I'm at has a few haji shops, and they sell cartons for $3, but of course they're not American brands. Still good though, and you can't be $3. For those days you just want to "escape," get a decent set of enclosed headphones that has noise-reduction technology. We've got internet hooked up to our trailers (at a hefty price though) so a laptop was definitely necessary. If not, most likely a portable DVD player will do.

13. Ranger-AO

My Army son was asking for tactical gloves a while back. The Hatch Operator gloves was what I looked at first, but he said there were some bicycle gloves that were better. They have hard/reinforced knuckles/palms/etc. For the life of me I can't remember the company or style name... I'll look for an email about it and post a link if I find one.

edit: Oakley MTB Pilot Gloves. They are hard to get, due to the military ordering just about every pair the factory can make.
    http://www.downrangesports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=746
    [​IMG]

edit x2: I just ordered a couple of pairs for John and a buddy of his. I had to go directly through Oakley (800.431.1439). I had to convince them to check to see if they had some available (he didn't think they offered this style to the public any longer). Apparently this glove was removed from the US version of their web site, but it's still up on their Japan site. :mamoru:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  14. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

15. pakman

pakman New Member

I was going to get those gloves since a few SF guys told me how great they were, but unfortunately I had purchased a set of kevlar-lined gloves beforehand. The gloves I got are great, but at $45 they were a bit overpriced.

16. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I'll be there in Aug. :)

17. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Ugh, why did you link that site? I added like $300 worth of stuff to my Shopping Cart before I knew what was going on. :o
    Has anyone tried out that 5.11 Tactical clothing? I'm thinking about getting some.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  18. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

19. Ranger-AO

:bowrofl:

It can add up quick, huh? :mamoru: I've spent hundreds of dollars on stuff like this - and none of it has been for me! :hsd:

20. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

4 Items In Your Cart

Remove Product Mens; 5.11 Tactical Short Sleeve
    Black
    L

Qty: x $37.00

Remove Product Men's 5.11 Tactical Pants
    32 Inches
    30 Inches
    Khaki

Qty: x $41.95

Remove Product Wiley-X JP4 Seal Tek Glasses

Qty: x $133.00

Remove Product Spot-Bilt Midtown
    Black
    Steel Toe
    D

Qty: x $83.00

Subtotal: $294.95

I need some new boots, Been field dayiing a lot recently and my boots have been utterly ravaged by wax stripper, and they're uncomfortable, and they are so worn on the heel that my foot almost touches the ground. :o
    And the 5.11 stuff looks nice, but I'm not sure if I want to buy them yet.
    And the goggles? Well..., I really don't have any real need nor use for them, but they are awesome.

21. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Get Danner boots

22. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Not really gear, but make sure you buy a bunch of food that you think you'll miss. I missed eating a lot of Korean food. Made me miss home a lot. If I were you, personally, I'd bring in some hot sauce or something that'll cover up the nasty food taste that the chow hall gives you.

Get you some comfy boots, and the under-armer shirts (if your unit authorizes them). And if you're going to be there for winter, be prepared for the cold weather. Definitly some sun glasses (Wiley-X), chapstick, lots of plastic/ziplock bags, and when you get a chance in iraq, buy a lot of canned air. You'll end up getting a lot of dust on and inside your shit. And becareful of insects and snakes and other shit like that.

Oh yeah one more thing. In Afghanistan, we had this mouse problem. If you're going to put any food in anything, make sure its made of tin or glass.

23. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

my sister loves that stuff. Everytime she sent me something she always made sure I had one in every package.