Going to Full Sail next year and.... :bigthumb:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Boosh Dag, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

They just made a deal with Apple...as part of tuition every student gets a brand spankin new 15inch macbook pro with the 2.33 GHz core and 2Gb of memory. Along with the new Final Cut Pro and Logic and a ton of other really expensive softwear that I cant remmeber but am still drooling over.

:bigthumb:

2. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Damn... what school? Is it just for your program, or all students?

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:coold:

In winter park?

Was going to go there for broadcast engineering and media production (pre and post).. and ended up not going due to recommendations from
    colleagues.

4. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

Full Sail in Florida, Hella nice campus it looks like but :eek3: It's fucking expensive!

5. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I considered going there about five years ago, but instead I did some research and found a local school teaching essentially the same curriculum four about 1/6th of the price. I hope you're not paying for this yourself.

6. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Wow, ever heard of Full Sail... sounds cool though...

7. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

I thought about going there but I decided on going to a four year school to get a Bachelor's. This was before it was offered for the extra $20,000.

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

9. DatacomGuy

Agreed. Another reason I didn't go. School is crazy expensive..

10. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

Yeah the school is expensive but daddy is willing to pick up the tab and im certainly not going to descourage a chance to learn everything I've ever really wanted to learn about audio that I didn't learn at the school I got my BA in music industry from and a ticket out of NJ.

It does get payed for in the tuition but its 2,700 hundred which concidering all the crap its coming with thats a pretty serious dicount.

The School has some insane job placement numbers and I can take the protool certification text for like 50 bucks when im done. I'm thinking its going to be worth it.

11. Letstalkalittle

Letstalkalittle New Member

good luck

12. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

sick, learn everything, do everything!

13. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

jealous.jpg

edit: i requested information :hs:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  14. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

yeah i took the tour this weekend, theres a lot of selling, but i asked a lot of people what they hate about the school and there really wasnt much. the fasilities are amazing.

15. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

yeah, i'm trying to decide whether i would be better off attending a traditional 4 year school or Full Sail(or something similar)

16. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

AWESOME school, i toured twice, but decided to go to a major university for marketing instead. I still wish i had gone there, not only does it sound like fun (every degree) but you get to play with expensive toys all day!

17. Aznpho

Aznpho Not Currently in Use

looks amazing.. what are u going for again?

Im goign to new england Institute of Art for audio production (post audio/video production) and that school looks insanely better lol

18. DatacomGuy

Sweet. Good luck. You seem to have done your research. My only helpful suggestion would be to call would-be employers or people about the industry and ask their opinion of the school.

When I got into broadcast engineering and post-production, I called around and actually got interviews with quite a few local broadcast and post-production studios (which got me a job, without going to Full Sail). 4 of the 6 places I visited said that while Full Sail was a good school, it only taught a limited amount of information limited to the equipment and software that was on hand at the school. On top of that, everything taught there can be learned at other schools for a fraction of the price. Hands on, and all.

This is stuff to check out..

Side note - The job I got in post production put me next to a girl who had just graduated full sail. We made the same pay, to accomplish the same thing. Only difference was that she had 20K+ in tuition debt. Pay was $15 an hour, for the record.. which is definitely underpaid - but it was for a TV station which are known for paying shitty.

But all that being said, its still an accreditted school, and has good job placement. If it puts you in a good paying job, then to hell with all of that. That's all that matters.

19. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

I'm going for audio production.

20. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

Well the thing is I have no background in any of this stuff but have always wanted to learn it. Name recognition is a big part of the game and the numbers I've looked at for job placement are pretty amazing. I'm also looking at it as my ticket out of NJ and the fact that my dad can afford this place for me with out taking out any loans is definatly a big part of the picture. I'm a little drunk right now but i think what i just said made sense.

21. DatacomGuy

Sure, it makes sense. It's a free ride for you, so enjoy!

22. Specious

Specious New Member

If companies like ILM recruit out of there (not sure if they do or not) then it's a sealed deal. Ultimately it comes down to how many success stories there are. Animation schools has flooded the market, so it's comforting to know there are still schools stand out on name alone.

23. slfmade

slfmade New Member

I know someone who graduated from Full Sail last year down in Florida, havent seen her in about a year but she already had a pretty good job lined up

24. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

Thats the stuff I like to hear.:bigthumb:

25. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Bump.

Did you ever go?