MIL Going to Ft Huachuca on Monday

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Will be there for six weeks.

Anybody have any recommendations? Good restaurants, bars or anything to check out? How far is the Grand Canyon? Never been there.

2. Asherman

Asherman New Member

The Fort is located at Sierra Vista in the extreme southeast corner of Arizona, the Grand Canyon is in the extremed northwest corner of the State. The Fort is located in the high Sonoran desert, and for the next six weeks or so you can expect extremely high temperatures. During the middle of the day its wise for visitors to either remain indoors, or be careful not to over exert and wear a broad-brimmed hat. However, the nights can become very chilly. Typically, the humidity is low so you need to stay hydrated. The desert is a beautiful, but brutal place and only tolerates respectful humans. You will see the night sky as never before, and the sunrise/sunsets are glorious. The air is pretty clean, and so unobstructed vision can reach out for a hundred miles.

Acclimatized natives can subsist in the desert for lengthy periods, but don't try it on your own without a native guide and plenty of water. Water there is the absolute requirement for life. No water, and you will die quickly, so respect the desert.

Now that we have the cautionary out of the way, let me address some of your other questions. The Army courses at the Fort are generally intellectually challenging, and for six weeks you should focus on the course work and save the party for afterwards. Off of the fort, Sierra Vista is still just a small town even though it is the third, or fourth most populous town in Arizona. There are the usual bars and feather merchants whose existence is dependent upon taking advantage of young soldiers with more dollars than good sense. Avoid them. Many hardly ever leave the Fort and go out onto the local economy. The local people who have lived in the region for many years tend to politically conservative and friendly, especially to the Army in general. Attending a six weeks course, you probably won't have much opportunity to meet many of the locals. Oh well......

Short guided hikes into the desert will likely give you insights into why the area is so beloved by locals, and the Apache who we displaced at the end of the 19th century. If you do this, just be cautious and carry more water than you think is necessary. Let people know where you are going exactly, and the latest time for your return. Get lost, and searchers only have a short time to locate you. I'm not sure, but the Army probably runs desert escape and evasion courses out of the fort. If so, get a detailed briefing before heading off into the desert.

The two closest towns are both worth visiting and can easily reached if you have an automobile handy. Tombstone is the legendary town "too tough to die". A massive silver lode was discovered there and Tombstone became for a time the most cosmopolitan town in the area. It was always a tough town where miners, ranchers, gamblers, rustlers, and outlaws congregated from all over the West. Almost any famous lawman or outlaw you might think of spent some time in Tombstone. The original "Boot Hill" is on the outskirts of Tombstone, and many of the famous buildings from the town's glory days still remain. Tombstone is the site of the famous gunfight between the Earps and the Clantons at the O.K. Corral. Today, Tombstone is a Mecca to tourists and is almost lost in a sea of RV parks. Prices are designed to separate tourists from the cash, so fiscal discipline should be encouraged. Wander around and see the sights, Tombstone is still a place you will want to remember.

The other local town that can be easily visited in a day, is Bisbee. Bisbee was at one time an important copper mining town, but today has been pretty much transformed into a hip art community. Bisbee is another historic town with deep roots going back into the Wild West. There is a lot to see and do in Bisbee, and the prices are more reasonable than you'll find at Tombstone. Take the tour down into the Copper Queen mine, this is an unforgettable experience that most people won't have in a lifetime. Opportunities for a good meal are better in Bisbee than in either Sierra Vista or Tombstone. Bisbee is also a pretty good place to shop for arts/crafts or souvenirs.

If you are permitted to cross over the border into Mexico, there are three possibilities. From East to West they are: Aqua Prieta,from Douglas; Naco, and Nogales. When I was young we regularly rossed over the border to drink, whore and fight where the rules of civilized behavior were more lax for hormonal teenage boys than our own side of the line. Pure foolishness. Get caught up in anything in Mexico and corrupt police officials will throw you into more squalid jails than you can believe. In a Mexican jail you buy your own food at exorbitant prices, and have no rights. All of those Mexican border towns are today havens for smugglers, coyotes, and drug runners. The risk to your health and career just isn't worth the momentary pleasures offered.

You might also have an opportunity to spend some time in Tucson. Tucson is one of the oldest European towns in the southwest, and there is a lot to see and do in Tucson. For a brief visit I can heartily recommend the Sonaran Desert Museum located just south of Tucson. This is one of the most impressive regional parks in the world. Whenever we pass near Tucson, we try to schedule a few hours at the site. Also nearby is a western town built by Hollywood and used as a set for many western films.

The region is famous for Tex-Mex food, and for good reason. There are a number of dishes almost unique to the area, but you'll need to discover them for yourself.

3. effwhy_sea

effwhy_sea New Member

god damn dude:bowdown:

edit: the desert museum is badass, i recommend it if you get the chance

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I copied that to a text file and put it on my phone for reference later.

I'm going to a class on how to properly deploy and repair fiber optic cable so that I can be the fiber boy when we get to the big desert.

5. c019552

c019552 New Member

They just opened a BW3s within the past year, many enlisted go there. The mall has a movie theater for all your entertainment needs.

6. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

definitely hit up sorry gulch an amateur night, which is thursdays i believe :hsugh:

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Is that a strip club? :mamoru:

8. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I was right about to ask that.

9. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

more of a biker bar type setting. oh and a really good restaurant is ricardos, its south of town maybe 5 or so miles. good variety and awesome steaks for reasonable prices

10. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I'm hoping to get out this weekend. Was all over post today looking for clothing sales. Finally had a nice PFC tell me that its hidden in AIT land.

11. sorry for the bump but there are a few AZ crew at DM, shoot me a pm if you want to check out the AF base

I would strongly suggest hitting the Pima air and space museum. They have guided tours of the boneyard and a Titan II missile silo