A&P Going to Disney...To DSLR or P&S?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Idyfohu, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I'm having this dilemma but I think I've made my decision...

Heading to Southern Utah, then Vegas, then Disneyland (2 Days), and Huntington Beach for 1/2 a day with JUST me and my daughter (just so you know the circumstances in helping me decide):

A: D700 w/ 50mm 1.4 (simple setup)
    Also bring G9 to have...
    Panasonic HD Camcorder (super compact one)

B: G9
    Panny HD Cam (these two will fit in a small small sling bag)

Has anyone brought backpacks into Disney (I might just bring my LowePro backpack into Disney even if I don't take my DSLR)? I'm just curious if you can go on rides with a backpack on or in your lap?

This is my daughter's first trip to Disneyland, so it's special of course, but hauling around my camera and then having to worry about theft, banging it up, weight, is really unappealing. Ya, the G9 isn't great, but I plan on shooting in RAW the whole time and a huge appeal other than the downsides to bringing the DSLR, is that I can just enjoy the time more so, whereas with my DSLR, it'll be an added stress.

This might be a messy and un-thought out post, sorry. Just don't want to regret not bringing my camera, but don't want to regret bringing it as well.

Thanks as usual chaps. :wavey:

2. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

Disneyland died in the earthquake bro :wtc:

3. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/1114; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Point and shoot. I don't bring my big cameras to touristy places anymore. Just extra weight to lug around. Unless i know that i'm going to be one of few to document the location, i don't see the point.

4. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I hope you're joking. Har Har? :eek3:

5. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Hopefully there's no aftershock or additional quakes (for everyone's sake and safety and of course for my MORE-important (jk, sorta) trip).

6. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

no, believe in jesus :)
    and what Cesium said... you're there to have fun, let the camera be the 2nd priority. P&S all the way

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

utah and vegas i'd have dslr

P&S or no camera for disney land. the rides and shit make lugging a big camera a pain

8. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Looks like backpacks work fine on rides...I'll just bring mine with the bare essentials and definitely will just take the P&S and Camcorder...both of which weight about a pound each. Ya, I'll be envious of people with DSLRs there, but not worth the risk and extra headache...this is the direction I was heading towards and so if my OTAP nukkas who spoon their stupid fat cameras each and every night say don't bring one, that's all the convincing I need.

9. mojito

mojito New Member

i did it with a g6. only time i missed a better cam was for the fireworks at night

10. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

I brought my dSLR to Europe.
    I spent more time trying to get the picture then actually enjoying myself.
    Here I am looking at the Mona Lisa and all i'm thinking about is how to reduce the glare from the protective window. I shoulda been enjoying the art and not trying to capture it.

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

D700 w/ just a 50mm? If that's your only lens choice, definitely leave this at home and just bring the p&s.

12. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

when i went to disney world, i took a p&s and my dslr. carried the p&s with me every day, but one night i took the dslr with me to get some firework and nighttime shots of cinderella's castle.

13. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

14. Finest

Finest OG #93

I wish I had a nice P&S, because not only did I bring my DSLR and two lens when we went to Disney, I also brought along a tripod. :o We ditched it after the first night of fireworks though, just way too much people to set one up without people tripping on it all the time. Got what I needed the first night and handheld it the rest of the week.

15. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

I have more lenses, but hauling a 28-70mm and whatever else just wouldn't be worth it.

Anyhow, heeding the advice of most of you fine folks, I'm just bringing the G9 and HD Cam, I appreciate the advice everyone! :wiggle::wavey:

16. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Enjoy the time with your daughter not trying to get that perfect shot.

17. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

This is interesting. The columbus art museum (bunch of nobody pieces) only allows photos in very specific areas and if you bring in a DSLR you will be followed the whole time. After a couple of times of them doing that I decided that I'll just bring my gear with me and not even uncap the lens just to make them work. So annoying.

18. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Yep, and you won't be one of those douchies that stands in the middle of crowded place i.e. Vegas strip or Disneyland and tries to stop people from walking into your shot.