Going to college...stay in shape/get in better shape

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by speedhunter12, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedhunter12

speedhunter12 semi-pro lurker

Im heading off to college in a few weeks and i was just looking for some advice on what you guys think i should o to stay in shape and maybe actually get in better shape. I have a small build... im male, about 5'10" and 135lbs. I was a competivie gymnast until my junior year of highschool so that kept me in very good shape being in the gym 25ish hours a week. THe only problems with that are 1.I was never in very good cardio shape and more important at this stage 2.It tore my body apart :hs:

Anyway i have a bad sholder as well as back and knees. Running is dang near impossible for me but i have found i enjoy swimming and it doesnt bother anything except my sholder. What do you think would be a realiistic work out schedual? I would like to put on some muscle but that isnt really the focus mostly just staying healthy. Sorry for the long read thanks for the help. Oh and btw im going to NYU so outdoor sports which i love (ie mountainbiking are no longer going to be part of my week :wtc:)

cliffs
    1.Im a 19 y/o male 5'10" 135lbs going to NYU
    2.I used to be a gymnast and have a bad sholder, as well as bad knees and back
    3.Want to stay in shap and maybe put on some muscle(more the former than the latter)
    4.I have found swimming isnt to hard on my body and i kindof like it

thanks alot

2. Hartman

Hartman New Member

You need to worry about eating first, then working out.

3. Bobert

Bobert OT Supporter

What's bad about your knees/back? Alot of times bad knees are caused by too much glute and not enough hams, or vice versa. Bad backs can be caused by weak abs/lower back as well.

A large upper body and no lower body/weak lower back (ie gymnast build) could be some of your problem.

Have you ever had it diagnosed or are you just saying they hurt?

4. speedhunter12

Back is stress fractures
    Sholder is impignment (sp?)
    knees i cant remember what it is called but the coushion is depleated and not comming back

not really that big of a deal except to say anything that involves alot of pounding and or sholder rotation is probally not going to happen

5. speedhunter12

I already eat fairly well, not like strict diet or anything but i watch what i eat

6. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Glucosamine stat. Get some fish/flax oil for lube. Eat more, start lifting some weights.

7. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

just keep swimming and you should be fine

8. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

he's saying eat more. 5'10" and 135 lbs is thin

9. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

1. eat more (more than you would usually eat.) you won't get fat, trust me.
    2. swim. swimming will burn most of the excess calories you get from eating and keep you lean and cut.

10. Titus

Titus New Member

eat, eat, eat. i don't think this can be emphasized enough. you prob. feel like you eat good/enough now but i can assure you that you don't. 135 is pretty small for 5'10. just eat and hit a basic compound routine and you will grow.

11. incubimmer

incubimmer New Member

to bulk correctly i eat eat when i feel like theres absolutely no more room to put food in my stomach.

12. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

go to the main forum, there's an AMAZING thread on college preperation and advice. i myself posted many times in it. there is advice as far as how to eat and such and to use the gym when possibe etc etc.

as long as you dont just eat trash food and sit on ur ass all the time, you'll be fine. most every major college (nyu being no exception) has some pretty solid gyms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.