Going to change my diet and work out...need your help...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Striff, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Striff

Striff Gimme the chocolate OT Supporter

I weigh 175 and don't have that much muscle on me. My main goals are to drop a couple lbs and gain muscle, especially in my stomach (abs), and my arms.

I am going to work on getting a routine going at the gym, but I wanted to work on my diet first. I live on campus at school and I am forced to have a meal plan so I have to eat lunch and dinner at the cafeteria.

This is what I was thinking for my diet....

Breakfast (9am)
    : 2 whole eggs + 3 egg whites scrambled. 2 slices whole wheat toast with peanut butter.

Lunch (12:30pm) : They have a "Chipotle" type of place on campus. I was thinking of getting a bowl that has cilantro rice, black beans, chicken, cheese, corn salsa, lettuce, onions, guacamole, and salsa in it. Does this sound healthy at all? I can substitute the chicken for carne asada, or pulled pork...but chicken is the healthiest..right? The black beans can be substituted for pinto beans and the cilantro rice for spanish rice if its healthier.

Snack (3:30) : Apple + peanut butter

Dinner (6pm) : This is tricky. It really depends on what they are serving. They normally serve some type of chicken. I was thinking of getting that + a large salad. What other recommendations do you guys have?

Snack (9pm) : Sugar free Jello + some sort of nut

Overall, how does this sound? Would it help having some sort of protein shake or whey shake sometime during the day...maybe after I work out? I will primary be working out around 2pm.

Thank you for your help :bowdown::bowdown:

2. themolsen

themolsen New Member

cut and gain at the same time? good luck

if you currently have a shit diet, you could gain muscle and lose some fat if you eat really clean. but you're not going to gain much muscle if you're not taking in excess calories, and the diet you posted is NOWHERE near enough to gain you any muscle, regardless how much you workout

3. Striff

What would you recommend I add or remove from my diet to make it work?

4. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Well I would recommend you focus on gaining muscle FIRST, then cut to reduce fat.

How tall are you?

Assuming you're relatively thin, this is what I recommend (worked for me so far):

You need to eat over your maintenance level in calories to gain. Burgers, chicken, fish. Lots of food with lots of protein. Don't worry too much about the details right now -- focus on eating a lot, but don't eat shit food. Try to eat more calorie-dense food for snacks too. You want to have 5 or more MEALS a day. Forget the notion of 3 meals a day -- those days are past you, son.

Combine that with a solid workout routine and you'll be gaining muscle like a mad man. There are tons of different routines and diff. routines work better for different people with diff. metabolisms/genetics/body types/etc. Read the stickies here and all over the internet.

You can throw in some cardio after your workout, but keep in mind that burns calories. If you find that you don't get fat easily, you probably don't need to bother with cardio yet. Weight training will be enough.

At the end of the day, don't party your ass off. Beer adds to your fat and it fucks up your sleep. It's important to get a good night's sleep.

In conclusion: Eat hard, lift hard, sleep hard.

5. Striff

6-1.

I have a pretty high metabolism so I don't gain weight that easily. But I have just been treating my body like shit lately so I'm forming a gut. I want to get rid of that and replace it with muscle.

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Perfect - we're similar. Clean up your diet, stop treating your body like shit, and that alone will help reduce your gut and other fatty areas. If you eat a clean high-calorie diet and add weight training, you'll do fine :bigthumb: But whatever you think "eating a lot" means, that's probably not enough. 3000+ calories a day is what you need

Weight training will also increase your testosterone/decrease estrogen, which will further help reduce some fatty deposits

-edit- it's hard to beat this workout: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2148696

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  7. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

calculate your calories and macros

8. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Active Member

eat lots and lift heavy stuff. once you can lift lots of heavy stuff you can start taking a closer look at your diet. If you jump into it head first I doubt you will last six months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.