Going to buy either a Bold or an iPhone in a month

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HalfPastGone, Feb 11, 2009.

1. HalfPastGone

HalfPastGone OT Supporter

next upgrade available march 12, and i've never had a smart phone before :noes:

which web browser is easiest to read?

2. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Iphone is best browser...hands down. You can research reviews all over and just about everyone prefers the iphone's safari.

Bold = The smartphone boasts a 2.75-inch half-VGA, non-touch screen that shows off 65,000 colors at a crisp 480x320-pixel resolution.
    iPhone = At 3.5 inches and 480x320 pixels, the display is the same size as its predecessor, but displays slightly more dots per inch (163 vs.160), and still cranks out brilliant colors, sharp graphics, and fluid movements.
    Bigger screen = better visibility too

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. HalfPastGone

one of the main things for me, is while im out, ill think of something i want to wikipedia, and then forget when i get home. so an easily readable web page is crucial. is iphone chat or bbm better? im guessing you cant chat together?

4. HalfPastGone

a lot of my friends always BBM eachother, that is pretty much the only reason thati want to get a BB

5. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

No BB compares to iPhone.

6. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

I'm not familiar with chatting BBM style or really any other way aside from normal texting. Iphone has threaded texts so it's fairly similar to chat.

Do any of your friends have either phones?...perhaps they'll let you mess with theirs for a while so you can see which one you would like better. I've messed with BBs before and find it too 'business' for me. Just my opinion.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

blackberries are great at email, but the iPhone is much better at web browsing and there is even a free Wikipedia app called Wikiamo. the iPhone kind of sucks for chat right now since there is no background processing or push notification. so, you actually have to have the chat program running to use it. i was never able to get a decent aim client on any of my blackberries though. so, even though you have a persistent connection, it still sucked.

8. HalfPastGone

ahhhh chat and internet are the two main things for me, i'm torn :run:

9. HalfPastGone

ohhhhhh but the iphone has musiks :bowdown:

10. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Truth.

Also, iPhone comes with 8GB/16GB out of the box available, non-expandable...Bold has 1GB onboard and expandable via MicroSD cards.
    My iPhone 16GB is plenty space for whatever I need...only used 7GB so far. :mamoru:

11. l S3RG10 l

l S3RG10 l New Member

the Bold is a great phone, I have had BBs for a long time now and its tough to beat the layout OS and ease of use, that being said, iPhones are superior in almost every way.

Battery life excluded.

12. silversleeper

silversleeper New Member

I can't comment much on the iPhone, except that I have a friend that has had several issues with his particular iPhone. Had it exchanged 3 times so far. But that's not to really take away from the iPhone, as I'm sure there are numerous folks out there that have had zero issues.

But as far as Blackberries are concerned, I recently found myself walking down this same path. I currently have a Curve, which is an excellent phone by far. My main gripe now is the fact that 3G is a technology that has been out for quite some time and BB just now decided to include support for it on their phones (only the Bold of course). So I want to buy a Bold mainly due to the 3G support. Aside from that, there is the iPhone, which is an all around great device. It destroys the Storm in comparison. Apple really has their touch screen technology down pat. The movements through apps and various screens are so fluid, and natural. Very impressive stuff. Most of the apps I've seen available are incredibly stupid and just a way to kill time. But there are great useful apps too. The thing I really like about the iPhone is the nice large screen, for browsing. The bold is a decent size, just like I feel my Curve's screen is a decent size. The iPhone's screen is a good bit larger though, which I like. But then I get turned off about the iPhone due to the lack of a physical keyboard. I've tried using the touchscreen keyboards and my fingers just weren't designed for them. I have my fair share of typos on my Curve too, which is equipped with a slightly smaller keyboard than the Bold. But the built in spell check covers me pretty well. But with the iPhone's touchscreen keyboard, I find it difficult to compile a simple sentence at times. Maybe it's just me.

Either way, I think I'll stick with the Bold. Mainly due to the keyboard issues.

Also, in regards to BBM and emails, the Blackberry is lightyears ahead of the competition. Pushed emails are nearly instantaneously sent to your Blackberry, even when using hosts like Hotmail and Gmail. And the BBM is the greatest built in chat program I've ever experienced. Real-time chatting, like as if you were on AIM. Delivery and Read confirmations, and also notifies you when the other person is typing. The only problem with that is you may find that not many people have Blackberries for you to really take advantage of the program.

And I'm not sure about the iPhone OS, if there are any glitches in it, but the Blackberry OS's are the most stable IMO when it comes to the smartphones (excl iPhone due to my lack of experience with it).

13. Megaton

Megaton New Member

BBs also thread messages as well. If you're going for email or you're going to be using it for that at all, I'd go BlackBerry.

I'm pretty biased since I have one myself but I'd definitely recommend one to anyone.

14. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

the iphone sucks at text messaging, so if you're gonna do that more than once per day, get a blackberry.

15. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Also.. iPhones can't even accept fucking picture messages. Does anyone want to tell Apple that those things have been around for like 10 years?

16. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

texting/typing on a BB is much easier due to the physical keyboard. After using friends iphones and owning an ipod touch myself, I found I couldn't stand trying to use that keyboard extensively. I can type much faster and with greater accuracy on my Curve then I've ever been able to on a touch keyboard. I prefer it for web browsing (forum posting and what not) for this reason as well. Even entering things in search fields got annoying for me on the touch screen.

For media use like music and movies, the iphone is the handsdown winner. For communication (texting, email, chat) the BB is superior by far. I have Jivetalk on mine for my AIM/MSN etc. client and it's worked great. It's reliable, clean, and very configurable. I carry both the curve and ipod touch now and have all my bases covered.

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i'm getting pretty tired of email and typing in general on the iPhone, but for anything other than work, i'd still rather have an iPhone over a Blackberry. for work though, i want a physical keyboard. i was given the option to get a Storm at work and turned it down.

on a side note, i went out drinking last night. ended up getting trashed at a bar in NYC playing a dice game with a bunch of friends on my iPhone using the free MotionX dice game. it was LCR if you are familiar with the game. so, apps alone make iPhone > Blackberry for a personal phone.

18. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I've had most types of smartphones over the past few years, albeit my favorite is still WM Professional (my Treo Pro is the best smartphone I've ever had).

Anyways, the Bold is a good choice. I can render full websites on my Treo Pro that rivals the iPhone's Safari - but in the end I prefer the ease of use of the mobile sites for most information. You mentioned Wikipedia, I just use Wapedia.mobi on my Treo and I get all the information from Wiki, just faster and in an easier to read format. Reading FULL WEBPAGES!!!! that are meant for desktop computer/laptops on a 3" screen isn't very appealing to me.

With that said, the BB is FAR better for communicating - that includes emails yes, but also calling people (dialing names/numbers right from the main screen), BB messenger, gChat, SMS, MMS...etc. Multimedia is the iPhone's strong point, and if you DO want full webbrowsing, iPhone is better although the Bold is not terrible either.