Going to be wiring 2 amps, total watts around 1000, is this amp wiring kit enough?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Aug 19, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

http://thewholesalematrix.zoovy.com/product/INSTALLKIT8

Thats the wiring kit I am thinking of buying, but I don't know what all I will need for two amps either... So if you guys could recomend some options, that would be great. I plan on installing it all myself, I need the experiance, and I can't afford to have a shop do it all. I'd rather do it myself anyway..

I am getting a JBL GTO 75.4 to power my mains. (Phoenix Gold 6.5 ZR Comps up front) and a little later I will have a a JL 500.1 amp for my 10in W7 that is coming in a couple weeks.

What else would I need, if anything? I believe my alternator is 105amps about, will that be adequet? Thanks for your time and patience :hs:

Stealth -

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

3. StealthMode

Thanx, what do I need to be able to connect multiple amps? Both are about 500watts RMS, so 1000watts total. I know what guage wire to get, but, I am not sure about the rest. Thanks again.

4. 04

04 Guest

You're gonna want to use at least 4awg wire for 1kW. I'd personally use 2awg as it would probably only cost you 10-20 dollars more, and then you wouldnt have to take the car apart again if you want to upgrade in the future.

You can use a distrobution block to split the power between the amplifiers, or you could solder two smaller wires with a soldering gun. I'd reccomend the former though...

5. StealthMode

Ok, sounds good. Someone told me I can just run to walmart and pick up a kit and it would be sufficient, I think I read that on here as well.. As long as I use 2-4awg wire for the power wire I should be alright?

6. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I've never seen a kit larger than 8 awg at wal-mart

www.knukonceptz.com

7. StealthMode

Thanx for the link. Looks like they have what I need for the most part. So I could order the 4awg kit for $36, but I would still need a distro block, probably the PB-1448 Ground Distribution Block, 4awg into 4 8awg, $9 (each 8awg going to their respective amps with ground) or should I just go with the single 4awg into two 8awg?
    Then I need 2 battery terminals...$12 apiece. Comes to about $60 so far.
    Anything else I need? Crap I wish there was a complete kit doh! I must not be looking in the right places..

I know there is something else... There isn't any dual amp kits, so do I need to buy a the 4awg kit, and an 8awg kit and split the 8awg power wire for both amps? Also, I only need one batt terminal right? ugh... Not sure what all I need..

Went around town today and priced out ampw iring kits with everything I need and it comes to over $250 no matter where I went... Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  8. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOLAK44

You'll need

Power Wire (included in kit)
    Distro Block (2 or 4 in.. 2 8s out if you can keep the runs a couple of feet short)
    You may need a different fuse holder and fuse with the power that you'll be running, I'd suggest in the neighborhood of 140 amps give or take (add the fuses in-board on the amps together, you should probably come up with around 120-150)..

You don't necessarily "need" battery terminals, but you might as well get them, makes it a lot easier, and a lot less ghetto :)

9. StealthMode

Alright, do I need the gorund one as well? I thought the ground from the amps could be bolted to the frame or something...Then again, what do I know :p

10. StealthMode

11. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Good stuff, add RCA's and you're good to go

12. StealthMode

Alright, ordering this weekend then! Thanks.

I'll probably have more questions later on when I'm installing... :p

One more question, do I need to use battery terminals, and if so, I need just the Positive, and the ground from the amps would just be bolted to the frame? Or how do I do that?..

13. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

if u need wire just go to weldingsupply.com. theyve got it for super cheap, then thezeb.com has some lightning audio interconnects for dirt cheap as well. the model is lbcs-5. i picked up a couple sets myself for a little over 10 bucks shipped.

14. StealthMode

Well I got my kit ordered, total was $102.75 with 5m RCA's. I think I'm set, now I'm just waiting for everything to get here. I think my speakers and JBL amp will be here tomorrow and my Alpine on Wednesday. :big grin:

15. On_One

On_One Guest

very lttle difference between the quality of the kits they sell at wall mart and the knuconceptz wire kits. The KK power wire is a bit more flexible but nothing crucial.

it comes down to if you need now or can wait 1-3 weeks with KK.

16. StealthMode

Ahh, well, I got everything in the mail on wednesday, going to install my amp today. Got my speakers installed the other day as well, I decided to install them myself and I ended up saving myself over $200 in installation fees for installing the comps, and making custom mounts in the doors. :)