GUN Going to be buying my first gun this month

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Tills, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

My wife has a hatred of guns so for the 10 years we have been together I have not really challenged the "No Guns in the House" rule. Just not that important to me.

Well the past couple of weeks there have been some incidents in the area. Tonight at 11pm a state trooper knocked at our door about someone breaking into the shed of the neighbor behind us.

I have had it. I need something more then the dogs we have in the house to protect us. I am going to head out to the range with my friend this weekend to shoot some guns. I wrote down the ones that are in the "sticky" list and will see if they have any of those that I can rent. Shooting is not new to me. I qualified on the M-16 when I was in ROTC and I used to shoot .22's at my local armory as part of an NRA saftey course that I took.

Once I decide on the gun that I would like to buy, where should I purchase it from? Is it better to buy from your local gunsmith or from an internet site? Does it matter if you buy a gun from someplace out of state?

The shit is going to hit the fan but I can't afford to wait 15+ minutes for the state police to show up if someone decides they want to break into my house or do something worse.

2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

belt feds are the best for home defense.

3. sebeck

sebeck New Member

:rofl:

4. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

shotgun FTW... home defence champions

5. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

If their's a good gundshop locally I prefer to keep my business local. Also check with local FFL's or even pawnshops about ordering what you want. Then get training, train as much as you can afford. Then train some more, only stopping when you're reduced to eating Ramen.

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Footrat?

Seriously, look for your state laws regarding firearms and find what firearm fits you best, then look for a good deal on said firearm in local shops.

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

support your local gun dealers.. and buying over the internet can be a pain in the ass.. gotta get an FFL to transfer it for you, pay a transfer fee, pay shipping, yada yada.

8. striker754

striker754 Chillin

local gun dealers = paying out the ass.

9. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

:o

What is an FFL?

10. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Federal Firearms Liscense. Gun dealers need to have them.

And get a shotgun. Probably your best choice if you're getting a firearm strictly for home defense. If you want to make a hobby out of it too, then I would say get a pistol.

11. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

PKM will do just nicely

12. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

A shotgun is your cheapest bet. If I didn't own any other gun I'd probably want a shotgun.

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Are you talking a gun for home defense and home defense only? It all depends on your skill, if I wanted a gun for nothing other than to defend my home in close quarters, I'd probably get a shotgun with a very short barrel (scatter gun) aim won't matter too much, but the down side is you will hit everything. However is you are going to kill someone in your house to defend your family what is having to replace a TV and patch a wall in conparison to getting the best chance of hitting your target.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Have you ever shot a shotgun? At least at a typical home defense distance? Onto paper? You're talking about it like its a room sweeping cannon, you're pattern will be a few inches. Aim still very much matters.

15. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Yup, at a few feet you're talking a spread of just a few inches. It's not like firing a blunderbuss filled with rocks and silverware.

16. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Very true, but I do want a gun that throws rocks and silverware. That way you could say, don't you see the knife in his hand? :coolugh: