Going to Army in 8 days. Advice?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Nick X, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick X

Nick X Guest

I'm actually not in great shape (good enough to pass MEPS though) and am wondering if any vets or anyone has advice to sort of get myself on the right track (in 8 days). Thanks!

2. Nick X

Nick X Guest

Army, not prison heh!

What I meant was getting in shape, or more clearly a foot forward in getting in shape so I don't die when I'm down there.

3. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

you have 8 days, only thing you can do is maybe run a few miles in the morning and a few at night and other then that rest rest rest. becasue shortly your body will be with out rest for long periods of time. oh yeah and get used to getting up at 5am

dont worry about push ups and sit ups the running is where you will see problems if your not used to it, push ups and sit ups will come running well running is a bitch.

4. Nick X

Nick X Guest

Yeah that's been basically my line of thinking. I know with the initial PT test you have to do 13 push ups (which I can), 17 sit ups (which I can), but I have to run the mile in under 8 minutes. That actually might give me some problems.

5. SpeedyGST

SpeedyGST Guest

if someone pats you on the behind it is not always for a job well done...

6. Nick X

Nick X Guest

LOL, the drunk part definitely. Been doing that like a mother fucker. The weed part the Army may frown upon. Actually when I set up my ship date like a week ago my recruiter recommended I go and get shitcanned as much as possible. Good stuff :bigthumb:

7. Nick X

Nick X Guest

Heh, that thought will always be in the back of my mind.

8. kevlarface

kevlarface New Member

My friend that went to the army trained by running all the time for a few months along with weight training...I dont know what you can do in 8 days.

9. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

dont sweat it, they'll get you taken care of in no time. congrats, wish i could go through basic training again.

10. Nick X

Nick X Guest

Thanks. I'm getting kind of unnerved though. Some telling me I'm fucked, others telling me it's cool. Guess I'm gonna have to do what I can now, hold my breath, and dive in head first.

Why do you wish you could go through again though?

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Annnd that's why I joined the Marines.

12. Nick X

Nick X Guest

What is it like with the Marines? I have several friends that all they did was smoke pot and drink all through high school go in to the Marines and they did pretty good. One actually re-upped.

I know myself, members of the Army, and Army recruits have the upmost respect for Marines (if you think I'm knocking them in any way).

13. Socrates

Socrates New Member

By my comment I just meant the physical standards are a lot higher.

Aside from that, Army boot camp is 9 weeks while Marines' is 13 weeks. Instead of doing pushups for the qualification tests, you do dead-hang pullups.

14. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

Not being in the military > this thread.

15. Nick X

Nick X Guest

Ahh yeah pull ups would kill me! Come to think of it, I can't ever imagine how my friends would have been able to do it since I know I'm better off physically then and now. 13 weeks would suck for sure, but Marines are bad mo-fos so I guess it's all good.

16. Grouch

Grouch Guest

start running

17. Socrates

Socrates New Member

You can pick up running pretty quick. It's unbelievable how much further you can run just by adding distance each night.

18. HoodRich

its just a good time of your life. You'll learn alot about yourself in those few weeks, you'll make some lifelong friends, you'll realize how little everything you once thought mattered so much actually matters. Cant really explain it to you but you'll know it when it happens, it might be during a night fire or a bivuac, mid way through an 8k ruckmarch or standing post in the rain or singing cadence while you run past 1000's of others singing the same thing at the same time at 5am in the morning when its 100 degrees and you realize how tired you arent. it'll come to you at some point and you'll figure out theres so much more to life than you thought.

19. Nick X

Nick X Guest

That's good to know. I haven't been too consistent with running but now that I've got only 8 days left to go I figure I should get at it. Just been tough getting serious with school, work, and trying to move my shit into storage. Argh, my ship date is so inconveinent but hell $2,000 bonus for going this early, I think I can deal.

20. Nick X

Nick X Guest

Awesome...just awesome :bigthumb:

I was pretty nervous about it before, but the closer and closer the date comes to ship the more excited I'm getting. Just want to get to it already.

I hope I like it as much as you did. Sounds great.

21. HoodRich

the running is actually going to end up being the easiest thing by far. Running alone is alot different than running with 120 other people running beside you, pacing you cheering you on.....the pushups are a bigger deal because your muscles are gonna be pushed beyond failure several times a day. Your gonna have very low push up scores until the final test where you'll have a day or 2 with no reps to rest for it before the graduation test. There is no running test to leave processing so dont worry about that, the drill sergeants will make sure you are ready when its time to graduate.

22. Nick X

Nick X Guest

No running test to leave processing? The 8-minute mile isn't part of the initial test? Or am I getting my Ps and Qs mixed up?

23. HoodRich

unless something's changed since i went through.....8 minute mile is the pace needed to pass the 2 mile run at the end of basic. It was just push ups and sit ups for us.

24. Nick X

Nick X Guest

I'll double check on that w/my recruiter. He's supposed to give me a "package" explaining all that along with what to bring, etc.

25. Nick X

Nick X Guest

So, in a nutshell, just run and relax while I can...

Thanks a lot to everyone would offered some advice; and thanks bryan2137. Great advice and great talk about how it is. Helps immensely!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.