Going to Africa, need helps

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Samcanadian, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

So at the end of July, a group of about 19 people, including myself will be headed to South Africa for roughly three weeks. Now, I know there are a LOT more things to be concerned about than the questions I'm going to ask, but heck...I don't take 47 grams of condensed Hell in Animal Pak form for nothing.

1. My diet will NOT be controlled at ALL. I'll be eating what everyone else is eating in camp, so I'm hoping they have a BIT of protein (beef...chicken...possibly Lion, if the Lions start to piss me off). I've abandoned any notion of taking along protein bars, as a month worth of Protein bars is hard to carry around, and I'm sure they'd melt in the African heat.

2. Exercise will be limited, as apparently going for a run by yourself in darkest Africa isn't a good idea. Frankly, I couldn't care less about "Wild Animals', as I'll bring the "Wild Animal" average up as soon as I step out of the plane. Also, it's illegal to challenge Cheetahs to foot-races, so I guess they'll get to keep their blessed title of "Fastest Animal on Earth".

3. Would it be worthwhile to attempt push-ups/sit-ups every morning? It may help wake me up, as we'll be getting up with the sunrise every morning, but would it do any good in the long run?

4. When wrestling Crocodiles, do standard MMA tactics work? I was laying awake last night thinking about it, and I doubt I could get a Crocodile in a triangle choke. An armbar would be even harder. I was thinking ground and pound until it taps...

5. I drink a lot of water every day. Like...a LOT of water. I'm just worried that they may not have enough to match what I'm used to. Should I be worried about any kind of water retention, de-hydration, blah blah blah?

Anyway, any help anyone could give me on this topic would help a lot. I'm counting on the experience of OT to help me survive my brutal standoff against nature, in what will most likely end up being a Cataclysmic showdown of Man vs. Beast.

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

have fun with teh aids!

3. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

Dahhh,1-1 with the main forum's advice!

4. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

just take a break...

i'm leaving for Syria in a month and i'll be there for a month. i tried going to the gyms there last year but they sucked, so fuck it. i'm just gonna make sure i keep eating...i went to a gym up there only twice, but i kept eating. when i got back to the states, my numbers were the same (i don't really know how deep you are, but for a new person like me, it's said that what happend with me is normal)

some people are saying to do body weight exercises, but i'm still thinking about it. might ask my cousins if it's ok if i can squat them and just use their body for whatever i can do..

5. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

At first I laughed about the squatting thing, but it's actually a good idea. You'd give your stabilizers a work, as a body isn't as balanced as a bar.

I'm probably just going to take the time off completely and enjoy my vacation. I'll weight myself before and after.

6. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

it's gonna suck when you come back and hit the gym...

i was sore for 3 days after coming back :o

7. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

I'm kinda looking forward to that. I haven't had a good noobie burn in a long time, this will probably help my routine as a whole.

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You can do a planned overtraining before so that your body recovers during the first couple of days. Otherwise quit worrying, just be active and eat what you can (little children are tasty), maybe help out other people moving stuff around to get some exercise. If I were to go to Africa, I'd try to enjoy the trip and quit worrying about stuff that could interfere with having fun...

9. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

are you practicing your little comedy bit or what?

10. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

do bodyweight training/training with rocks... zack even-esh talks about his philosophy on this on the newest max-out radio podcast

11. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

I'm sorry, I mistook your post for helpful advice.

12. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

Once again, probably good for stabilizer muscles eh? I can't imagine doing skullcrusher with a rock.

13. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

There are very few times in your life you will ever be given an opportunity to ever see another country and be able to experience their traditions and food from a first hand experience.

For 3 weeks enjoy it and enjoy everything they are preparing for you and everything around you vs. making sure your protein content is high and you are still getting gym time. That is what you will remember in 20 years not that you were so dedicated that you drug protein bars onto a plane. In fact in 5 years you will realize how redicilious that idea was.

14. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

Yeah, you're probably right. I've pretty much made up my mind that I'll just take a solid 3 weeks off. Like, COMPLETELY.

It'll be an experience in itself, nevermind the fact that I'll be in Africa when I do it.

15. Drewski

Drewski New Member

i haven't taken any time off and I'm still sore for 3 days after pur's leg day :o

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

fuck it dude it's only three weeks... don't worry about shit, just go and have fun.

Pushups, situps, pull ups, and bodysquats every morning will give your muscles that torn up feel for a little while and your mind will be at ease.

Have fun nig nog.

17. Samcanadian

Samcanadian OT Supporter

I will stretch every morning in case I have to run away from Animals. I don't want to blow a quad just as the 4 Lions are gaining on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.