MMA Going to a Judo tournament in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by d0nk3ypunch, Nov 4, 2005.

1. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Any BJJ guys do judo tournaments?

I dont know any throws... I'm planning on trying to get the single or double... or just get thrown and try to sub from there.

Hopefully I dont get my ass kicked too bad.

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I know a lot of JJ guys that have gone to judo tournaments and done well. Then again they are good. I've never seen you roll so I wouldn't know. Either way it should be a good experience for you.

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

trying to wrestle with the gi on is a little difficult because of the collars they can hold on to the moment you clinch. And if you get thrown, isn't it an automatic loss by ippon?

4. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Does the Judo tournament allow BJJ gi's? You might want to check that out. Some do, some don't. Judo ones are longer.

5. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Only if you land solidly on your back I think.

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Yeah I hardly ever roll with the gi on, so I am not really sure what Id do against a good judoka if both of us had gis on.

7. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

Seriously if you're going to a judo tournament why don't you at least try and throw them. What's the point of going to a judo tournament and trying to sub somone, if you want to do that then why don't you go to a BJJ competition and actually go against people who will be familiar with the groundwork.

A single leg takedown is worthless in judo, you won't get a score with it unless you rip them off the matt and place them down on the back with a thump. Most likely they will turtle anyway.

I would go there, do my best to throw them and if a sub comes my way then take it, but don't just go there just looking for a submission the whole time. Otherwise whats the point.

What division are you entering?
    If it's green belt i think i will break down and weep

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  8. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I actually use a Judo gi already (just ordered a gameness gi last night)

9. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

It will be the white belt division.

Bjj tournaments are few and far between... I drove 8 hours last weekend to compete in one. This is local, so I'm not going to pass it up.

Since I'm not a judo guy, this is really just for fun, I love to compete. I know I wont score points on the takedown, I'm pretty sure I'll have the edge once it hits the ground however. I've rolled with Judo black belts in the area and handled them pretty well.

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

you will definitely have the edge on the ground. Only problem is the rules that limit how long you can be on the ground.

11. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Not to mention the only sub's you can do are elbow attacks or blood chokes.

Which sucks, as I find neck cranks work well when they turtle.

12. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

point system or subjective judging?

13. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

personally i think it's retarded

These white belts are going to suck at judo standup, never mind groundwork. The least you could do is at least engage with throws nomatter how much you suck at them. What are you going to prove by beating white belts on the ground.

Personally one day i hope i meet a pure BJJ in a judo tournament just so i can see the moment he thinks "oh shit, this guy does bjj aswell" and then throw him around.

14. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Trust me, if I had any more opportunity to compete around here I wouldn't be doing this.

I forget how the divisions work... but here, what they consider the white belt division is up through several ranks above white belt... green maybe? So the divison wont be just white belts, lots of these people will have over a year experience.

I plan on playing the stand up game a little to see how that goes, but obviously I want to get into groundword at some point. I'm more interested in getting out there and seeing how well I can defend against a throw personally.

15. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

I plead with you not to do a singleleg, really the most worthless takedown in the whole of judo.

Go out and enjoy yourself, but try and do some throws aswell. At least that way you are not cheating everyone else afterall it is a judo tournament.

16. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I'm decent at trips from standing, but I dont practice them enough... perhaps this would be the time to try it.

Now why exacly is the single so bad?

17. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

because you'll never get ippon with it (well at least not from a good judge). The only way you'll score a singleleg is if you're rhadi furguson and can literally toss people over your head like they are polysterine.

If ever i become a judo judge and it's clear that the person is only going for groundwork and not even attempting to throw i would stand them up without hesitation. There are some judges who are complete idiots, one stood me up while having an extended armbar on some guy. Another stood me up just when i passed the guard.

The only point of it is dragging them to the ground, i guess it's great if you want to initiate groundwork but terrible as from a "spirit of judo" aspect.

18. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Gotcha, good way of looking at it. I'm just doing this for fun really, I may as well have fun playing their game.

19. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

by all means take it to the ground, but if in your first match they completely suck then maybe experiment a little more.