A&P Going to a auto show...need some tips please

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by lgj24, Jan 30, 2004.

1. lgj24

lgj24 OT Supporter

I'll be going to an autoshow this weekend, and of course will be taking some pictures. But I'd like them to turn out nice if possible, so I've got a few questions for anyone who cares to listen:

First off, my knowledge of photography right now is very limited. I've got a Canon Elan 7e, and have always used Fuji 400 speed film from the drugstore. Now this car show is all indoors, in a big convention hall, so should I consider using a different speed film, like 100 or 200? Also, from previous experiences, there are usually adequate amounts of light in the hall, and I expect the cars to all have their own lighting setups for optimal viewing as well, so would my built in flash be necessary not be necessary?

If anyone has any other comments they think might help, I'm willing to listen!

2. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

i would think no flash + longer exposure + tripod would be the way to go with an indoor car show :dunno: .. ive never tried though

3. Gutshot

Gutshot New Member

dont know which lens you have but a fast lens and high ISO film will give you best results without a flash. I wouldnt use anything below 400 ISO for indoor. The canon 50mm 1.4 is a great fast lens for only $70.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The indoor lighting will most likely not be the correct color temperature for your film. Color temperature is measured in degrees Kelvin. Indoor tungsten lighting is around 3000 degrees Kelvin and sunlight is about 6500 degrees Kelvin. All this basically means that if you shoot indoors under tungsten light with film rated for outdoor (which is all film purchased at your local drugstore or Walmart) the pictures will look yellow or orange. The lighting used at a typical indoor car show is usually around 4500 degrees Kelvin which will produce a light yellow or green cast to your pictures. Flouresence (sp) lighting will produce a harsher greenish cast to your pictures. Streetlamps produce a green or orange cast, depending on their make.

The good news is that it's pretty easy for a printer to dial out the wrong color...if you use a printer that offers color correction.

Your flash is rated at 6000 degrees Kelvin and will produce the proper color reproduction. However, using a flash too close to your subject can wash out the picture. Conversely, using a flash too far away from your subject will have little to no effect on lighting.

Using a tripod and shooting with availabe light is often your best bet as car manufacturers will go to great lenghts to make sure their product is presented in the best light. Select a printer that offers color correction for your prints.

Shooting with a strobe is recommended if the lighting is poor or you don't or can't use a tripod. Placing a white tissue over the strobe head will soften and diffuse the light giving you better results. If your stobe doesn't have an automatic exposure feature, open your lens one f/stop if using a tissue.

Good luck and I hope you get some good shots.

5. mojito

mojito New Member

f/1.4 for $70? um I think that's the f1.8, but still a good lens for the $$$

6. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

I am not an expert photgrapher, but I have come to learn that the tripod is your friend.

7. lgj24

lgj24 OT Supporter

thanks for everyone's input...definitely opened my eyes to things i never considered. Anyway, I do have the 50 1.8 from canon, as well as a 28-105 3.4-4.5 zoom which i will be bringing along.

Jcolman: thanks for the info, very helfpul! As far as the colors being off a bit, I usually use Photoshop before I print, just to tweak things a bit.

So now i think I've got a better idea of how to snap shots of these cars..thanks everyone