A&P Going shopping, need some advice please....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by spahndirge, Jul 23, 2008.

1. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

I'm from Ireland and I'm heading to NY in September and I've been making out a shortlist of what I want to get, but I'm looking for some advice! So far, this is my gear....

Canon 40D
    Tamron 17-50mm 2.8
    Canon 50mm 1.8 (still waiting on delivery)
    1 x SanDisk 4GB Extreme III
    Lowepro Slingshow AW200
    Cheap-ass Tripod

Yes, I've got very little so far. I've been waiting for this trip for far too long and been drooling over B&H's for too long. I pretty much wanna buy a decent bit of gear because it's a rip off buying anything here. For example, the 10-22 I'm gonna buy in B&H's would cost me $550 extra here. So far, my shopping list consists of....

EF 100 f/2.8 USM Macro
    Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    2 x SanDisk 4GB Extreme III

I want a decent zoom lens, the two I've been looking at so far are:

EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM
    EF 70-200 f/4L

The big thing about this decision is the IS, the IS is supposed to be great on the 70-300mm, which I think I'd really like (I don't want to lug a tripod around with me) and I don't want a white lens that'll stick out. I'm not into sports or wildlife, I just want a decent zoom lens, so maybe with the extra 100mm and IS, should I consider turning my back on an L lens? Or am I crazy for even questioning it? There's $50 in the difference in price, so that doesn't budget isn't a concern.

I'm also wondering about flashes, teleconverters, anything that maybe I would really appreciate, I don't have an idea if I'll find any need for them in the near future. This is really going to be an impulse shopping spree for me, but I don't want to come back with shite!

Thanks in advance!

Cliffs: Newbie on a once-off shopping spree, what should I buy?

2. mestizo

mestizo New Member

Gotta love that exchange rate. :cool:

3. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

post some shots of ireland :bowdown: i've always wanted to visit there.

and from what i've heard (no personal experience with either lens) is get the 70-200 over the 70-300. also look into the tamron 90mm macro, its supposedly sharper and better than the canon 100mm. :o

4. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

get a flash.. 580ex if you can afford it

5. spahndirge

I have only a few shots that are ok, that I took with a kodak, lol. I'll post up some soon :)

I've been looking up reviews the whole night and now I'm looking at the 50-250 IS (plastic & cheaper). I've never used IS, but I'd really like glass that I don't have to rely on a tripod to use.

Only just checked out the price and I don't think I'll be able to afford it, maybe if I bought the 50-250mm :(

Check :)

Thanks for the replies guys, I really have to get my shit together for this. Last thing I want is to bring home shit glass and regret it a month later. Anyone for advice? :sadwavey:

6. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

I hear the 70-200 f/4 is great, they also have the IS version of that (i think its like $350-400 more) IS is awesome, ive got it on my 100-400L, and no way could I live without it, but at only 200mm, you only need about 1/200 SS to hold it steady, and a good flash can make up for that real quick, if the 580ex is too rich for your blood, I got the 430ex ($220 or so) that I wonder how I could have lived with out it.

oh, and get the UWA, I dont know how I could live without that range :wiggle:

7. spahndirge

I'm looking up reviews on the 430EX at the moment, thanks :)

The f4L IS is out of my budget :( I think I'd be more suited to IS, so I'm still split between the 2. The big trade off between the 2 is should I go for L glass or IS?

8. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

another point for the 70-200, if you decide later that you want the is on the 70-300, its worth a lot more on the used market than the 70-300 making it easier to switch that direction than the other way.

9. adamfool

adamfool New Member

It's a good idea not to be carrying the packaging/proof of purchaces on the flight home. either bin them or post them back to yourself... that way you can pretend it's all kit you took with you :)
    Customs don't like people going over their set import allowance, especially on expensive kit like that and if caught it'll end up costing you more in tax and duty than buying them here in the first place! :)

10. spahndirge

Great point! I'm getting it far cheaper than what I would here, so I can sell it and make a profit over here if I want to change to IS. Is IS really that good? The only experience I've had with it is with a G9, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near the same quality with good glass.

Done this before :) When I flew to washing ton, I had to declre all items that were over $100. Last time I went to NY, I had no problems at all, just removed the packaging from everything. If I have to declare anything this time, I'll list all the lenses that I'm gonna buy :)

I'm gonna forget about the flash though :( Can't afford it. My shopping list will be $2K with what's on the list already.

11. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

whats another $200 on top of $2k? on top of a trip to the states?

12. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Euro -> Dollar conversion, you can't go wrong.

Buy a bunch of blue jeans while your at it lol

Definately pick up a hot shoe flash, ie 430EX or 580EX.

13. spahndirge

The price of 3 nights in a hotel! I'm really stretching it at the moment. Plus, I've used my flash about 3 times in the last 2 months, I try and never use it.

[​IMG]

14. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

are you talking the built in flash?

What kind of situations do you shoot in? always outside in good light?

and if your tight on money, get the sigma 10-20 instead of the canon 10-22, thats a $200 difference right there, and mine is sharp as a tack

15. spahndirge

Yeah, the built in flash, I never use it, I know it's crap. I usually shoot indoors, but I don't really see a huge need for a flash yet. I'm just trying to get the essentials together and I don't think a flash will be an essential item since there isn't as big a price difference as there is with lenses when buying over here.

Every goddamn time I decide between the 70-200L and the 70-300IS, I change my goddamn mind. Everyone says the L, but I don't want to be lugging around a big white lens with me, and I'm just wanting it for fun. Although when I think of how I could sell it over and here and make a profit on it, it seems a good idea. Damn, this is goddamn annoying!

16. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

If you shoot mostly indoors, I dont know how you could not want a external flash.

I also dont see why you would need 300mm

What kind of subjects do you shoot?

17. Bloke

Bloke Banned

18. spahndirge

I haven't used a good flash before, so I guess it's a case of not missing it's benefits :hsughno:

I shoot landscapes, cloesups, portraits and just general stuff. Only got the 40D two months ago and sometimes I just want more reach than 50mm. The 300mm seems like the fun choice to me for the moment, small, inconspicuous and IS.

19. spahndirge

20. Bloke

Bloke Banned

im sure you can find it if you look. anyway they say its better than the L lens, come on!

21. spahndirge

I know, but I can't even find it on ebay or even a price for it, what's the chance I'd find it in NY?

22. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

unless you shoot wildlife, you dont really need 300mm.

On my old Sigma 70-300, the macro wasnt that great (200-300mm working distance is to long, its really hard to compose shots)

the 10-20 (or 10-22) is great for landscapes, so is the 70-200 (for longer distance, or compressed landscapes), and also perfect for portraits.

Who really cares about inconspicuous? Make yourself a little website, get a some business cards, whenever people ask about your gear, give them a card, eventually you will make some money)

by not ever having a good flash, you are missing out a TON! Also, A good flash will make up for the IS (and more, remember, IS doesnt stop motion, only steadies the camera) and you will find a lot more creative options with it.

23. spahndirge

Thanks! Now I'm reconsidering the 70-200L again! :hs:

70-200L + 430EX > 70-200L > 70-300mm IS?

Goddamn man, why did I reply to this thread again? I'll be selling my ass on the street after I'm done

24. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

go look at my thread about how I need to stay away from ordering shit, im eating ramen for the next month!

Also, for the few shots that you might need 300 mm, a lens with better IQ will allow you to crop a bit more, and still have awesome images (maybe not for 20x30 prints, but definitely for sharing online/with friends, and 8x10 prints (also depending on how far you crop) )

If you can, rent a 70-200 before you buy one, that will be the true test.

If you are really dying for more reach, you can get a 1.4x TC, you will loose a bit of IQ, and if you want more reach after that, there is nothing better than the 100-400L IS, or the 400L prime. That being said, I love my 100-400L and I'll sell my car and ride my bike to work before I get rid of it :wiggle:

25. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I would change the 70-200 for a 10-22 if I was looking for something to take on a holiday.