GUN Going Open Class: Glock or SVI. Paging Yar

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, May 4, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

So I wanted to PM you on here, but I struggle enough keeping my PM box clear, so I'll keep it an open discussion in case anyone else had some input, or if anyone was interested in this as well in the discussion.

Anyhow, my plans are to go Open Class division in USPSA next year, and I've been contemplating having JPL either build me a SVI from scratch, buying an STI GrandMaster and calling it good, or building an Open Glock from one of my two Glock 17's I already have. I'll keep one for production, and the other was suppose to be my back up, but ya'll know Glocks don't crap out, so this has just been chillin', so may as well make some use out of it. :mamoru:

the SVI will run me around $5500 advantage being, it's just a bad ass gun and built exactly to my specs, the STI is prebuilt and only $3200 so this has been what I was leaning towards because I'm impatient and is in the middle of my budget, or going with the Glock, I'm hoping less than $2k since I already have a platform to build on (my spare Glock 17), another plus is I already have a Ghost holster and mags and mag holders. So obviously the Glock would be the most economical. And hopefully not be so finicky and more reliable. If so, I was thinking of sending my Glock to SJC or ????? Glockworkx?

I'd like to talk to you (yar) because I know you've run your open glock for some time, so your input is valuable.

My questions are:

Performance trade off from a metal gun? What other metal guns have you shot? Thoughts?

Reliability? Still true in an Open Glock? I had a KKM in my G24 and it gave me a lot of issues.

Ammo? Making power factor with a .355 round tricky? what powder do you use?

Sight preferences? I know you run a slide mounted Dr. sight. But all of my guys up here run C More's.

My resources are there if need be, obviously the SVI would dry up my fun account for a while, but my key deliverable is doing it rite the first time and of course, performance, which I think will justify the expense.

I've been talking to John, and after expressing interest, JPL took me to the range and had me shoot 6 different SVI and STI open pistols. I only know of 1 guy up here running an open Glock, and I haven't had a chance to shoot his. I like the STI's, but between having to constantly tune the mags, and the costs of the mags ($400-$500 in mags hurt) Even for me it's pricey. And then having to wait 3 months for the build, also isn't very cool after droping 5k in gear.

2. chakup

chakup Guest

OK I know this isnot my area of expertise- but why not a used STI/SVI?

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

Because if it's a good pistol, it'll be shot out, if it doesn't have a lot of rounds, I question what issues it's having if it's already being sold. I'd rather not buy someone elses problems. Sometimes it looks like a cheaper way of going, then it turns into a money pit.

the only people I would buy a used gun from are guys I know and shoot with already, and they're not letting any of their arsenal go ATM.

4. caucasion

caucasion New Member

i was thinking the same thing, in the sense of picking up a glock 17. what mods can you do for the production class?

5. el capitan

el capitan New Member

just get this..... you'll be set :wavey:

[​IMG]

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

To be honest a open glock is a open gun. It is not stupid reliable like a stock glock. If you want to build a glock open gun we (glockworx can do it for you.) I recomend you wait a few months as we have a new open top end coming out. SJC also does good work. They are our competition but I have no problem saying they make a good gun.

If you can afford a STI/SVI that will probably be the best platform. I shoot a glock because I just can't shoot a 1911 well. If you got a local smith that does good work support your local smith.

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

What are your thoughts on sight selection. I see your point about a Dr slide mounted sight being the same index as shooting irons, but how well does it keep zero and what are your thoughts on a rebounding sight as opposed to a frame mounted sight that will not take the abuse of recoil of a 9mm major?

I'm leaning hard towards an STI grandmaster or Trubor with some slide lightening and trigger work. but I'm not ruling out a G17 Open gun.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

For USPSA production, you can do grip tape ( in very particular areas), internal work like trigger and accurization, and standard notch and post sights. Other than that, that's all you can do on a "production gun". That's all I run in production is my glock 17 and it's my most reliable gun by far.

The hard lesson I learned was, it's all on your equipment running. Nothing worst than fighting with gun problems during a match. Reliability is key.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I like the slide mounted optics when machined into the slide. We machine locator pins so that the doctors can be taken on and off ( for cleaning or changing batteries) and will hold zero. To be honest the slide mounted optics will be more expensive. You have to mill the slide which is going to run about $250. Then you need the doctor which is $400-$550 depending on if the electronics are bullet proofed or not. Even still you are going to want a second spare doctor (that you have pre-zeroed) to keep in your range bag. It is not cheap to shoot open.

It might be cheaper to shoot a cmore but you have some disadvantages there also. First is the whole muscle memory index thing from going from cmore to irons. Next you can't remove the sight and remount it hoping it will hold zero (it might but probably not at least not at any match you care about). Lastly they break just like any dot sight so it's best to have a spare.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

This year in production you can have grip stippling. Add that to the list of mods. I believe you can still have match barrels as long as it's the same type, lenght, etc as the factory.