A&P Going on a Safari Need Help w/ What to bring

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Brsboarder1, May 7, 2004.

1. Brsboarder1

Brsboarder1 New Member

I have a nikon n80, I recently just broke my ownly lens, a 30-80mm, so, I need some new ones, what i really want is like a 17-30, 30-105, 70-300, all nikon d lenses, what do you think about this set up, also is there anything comparable to nikon d lenses for maybe a little less price, either sigma or tamron? or something else, otherwise, is there a cheaper set up i might wanna use? because money is an issue, and i'd like to spend around $500

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Id rather get 50, 100, 300mm ( approzimate not familiar with nikon lenses).

Why not get fixed focal length lense? They give much sharper pictures, I dont particulatly like zoom lenses myself :)

3. Brsboarder1

Brsboarder1 New Member

$$$$ I dont have a big budget, unless you could point me to directly which lens to get, I dunno, i only see them for $500 plus each

4. Brsboarder1

Brsboarder1 New Member

anyone else with any ideas?

5. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Because primes are pretty much useless when you're packing light to go traveling.

6. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

For traveling light, I would say go for the ultrazoom, ie. Nikon's 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF. Obviously optical quality won't be as good as a prime or a zoom with a less of a reach but it simplifies travel so much. I would even consider third parties like Tamron or Sigma who make 28-300s.

The Nikon 28-200 is only 300, the Tamron is only 240. Tamron's 28-300 is only 300 as well.

Other wise I would go for something like the Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G AF-S and then a 70-300 f/4-5.6D ED for ~500 bucks.

7. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

depending on where you're going, silica gel packets....

:big grin: no clue on lenses for what you plan to do and what you want to shoot... (wide angle landscapes? closeups of plants? fast action birds?)

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I went on safari in Tanzania (back in '88). I'm not a camera/lens expert, but I had with me a 70-200mm and a 30-80mm (if I remember correctly - they were mated to a Chinon CP-7m manual focus camera). The 70-200mm was great for the outdoor shots (although now days 300mm+ aren't too bad in price so that would be what I'd do today). With the 70-200mm that I had, I left that lense mounted on the camera for most of the entire safari. The 30-80mm came out only for the people shots I took (I was in Dar Es Salaam for 2 weeks and had the wide angle lens on for most of that time).

Of course, it depends on what you're looking to shoot. I wanted to shoot mostly animals and a little bit of landscape here and there. There's a few people shots, but not many. The wide angle came out for a few times when we got way too close to some of the animals (baboons on the vehicle, etc). For watching lion kills, 200mm wasn't enough. Although it was much better then nothing. Maybe 300mm might have been better - 500mm probably would have been awesome.

Depends on your style, but I'd think you'd want to travel light. I enjoyed having a 2 lens system and it was still light enough for me to get some great shots and have fun. I'm not sure I'd make the sacrifice for a 28-300 since I don't think you'd be switching from 28mm to 300mm very often. I like bioyuki's approach of having the 24-85mm and 70-300mm (I have the Nikon 24-85mm lense for my N80, but a Sigma 70-300mm).

[​IMG]

Depends on the length of your safari and how trigger happy you are. For the month I was there, I shot off over 21 rolls of film (36 pic flavor). You might want to spend some time figuring out how much film you want to carry and how you will carry it. I think I carried about 6 to 7 rolls of film with me. Usually had about 4 rolls in the camera bag and 3 rolls in a pocket. This allowed me to quickly reload without thinking (left pocket would be new rolls and right pocket would be spent rolls). Then when there was a free moment, I ditched the spent rolls and reloaded the left pocket from the 4 roll stash in the camera bag. It had worked for me. I'm sure you'll figure out a system.

When are you going? Where are you going?