Going on 3 months now on my cut and not seeing too much results

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mike Hawk, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

For starters, started at 285 at ~22% and 44 inches at the waist. I'm sitting here today at 270 with a 42 inch waist. I'm not ashamed of what I have done. I knew it was going to be a slow cut, definitely trying to preserve as much muscle as possible, so I was keeping the calories on the higher side of my BMR, but this is going a little bit too slow.

My weight progress has went like this. Weeks 1-4 I lost all of that weight, about 15 lbs of it along with the 2 inches off my waist. Weeks 2-8 I really haven't lost much in terms of weight, but definitely can see veins I haven't seen in ages, more definition along my neck/jaw line. Just little things that I'm seeing, but nothing to really be happy for 3 months of progress.

Currently weight lifting 4 times a week and low intensity - 130 BPM cardio (30-60 minutes) 2-3 times a week.

Diet is along these guidelines: PCF

High 300/200/100 = 2900 calories - 2x a week
    Medium 300/120/120 = 2700 calories - 3x a week
    Low 300/100/100 = 2500 calories - 2x a week

Any recommendations on what I could be doing wrong? I'm currently unemployed, so not too much outside/working activity going on, mainly just little household things, so not burning too many calories outside of the gym

Thanks

2. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

purs diet/routine has worked for many of us former fatties

3. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

id keep the calories around 2500 every day.

4. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

I could never follow someone else's diet, too much of a pain in the ass. I'm not much of an egg eater as it is. I'm pretty much stuck on getting my 3 lb bags of chicken, marinating them the night before, grill in the morning, and I have my protein for the day. The cycle continues.

5. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Up the cardio and keep the calories the same.

More energy burn via activity > dropping calories, especially when they're already low like yours are for your weight. It will preserve more LBM.

6. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

my BMR is ~2600, should I really go under that?

7. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

8. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Keep in midn there's a very big difference between the OP in the thread you linked and this guy here.

This guy has more muscle than most people here weigh, if his numbers are actually accurate.

If you don't wanna lose that it's important to do it right. The other guy just needs to lose weight ASAP because it's a health risk.

Either way, I find low carbs works best for myself. With one higher carb day.

9. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

how low are you talking with low carbs and what kind of carb up? so basically I should just keep the calories around the same and just bump up the cardio?

10. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

11. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

Didnt really put 2 and 2 together :o.

12. smb is me

smb is me New Member

Just an Heads up:

For me, if i go by the suggestions for fat loss of most the BMR calculators online, i'll slowly bulk and gain 1lbs every wk or two, while doing cardio, and lifting intensely 6 days a week. So those things are a good base to start at, but everyone's body reacts differently.

13. k624ash

k624ash New Member

well you said your seeing progress, even if the scale isnt still reading it. I wouldnt change anything major if I were you, step up the cardio a bit.

14. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

if your're 22% bodyfat you dont need to worry about losing muscle. your body isnt gonna start doing that until you get MUCH leaner. At 22% you can probably lose 3-4 pounds a week of fat. Once you get around 15% that will slow down to about 1-2 pds a week. and so on as you get leaner....

you have 63 pounds of fat. your body has PLENTY of fat to burn beofe its starts dipping into muscle.

since you are cycling you carbs keep in mind you should be cycling your protein and fat too.

carbs are inversely proportional to protein and fat.

15. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I'd say you could cut the calories more.

16. SmartPowders

SmartPowders New Member

Too many carbs

17. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

22% bodyfat with a 44 inch waist? Really?

18. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

what's the reasoning behind this? I'm only carb cycling for my own sanity and to prevent a little bit of flatness, which is already fairly obvious. I'm gonna try bumping up the cardio for 15 minutes a day and add one more day after a workout until some of it sheds off

19. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

being 6'2, it's not near as bad as it sounds. I had abs back when I was 220 and was still a 38" waist. Genetics just don't work in my favor in this department

20. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

because carbs are protein sparring meaning you dont need as much protein when you have lots of carbs, also when insulin levels are high (which is what happens when carbs are high) you dont want a bunch of fat floating around in your bloodstream....

okay now when carb levels are low you need higher protein because of the opposite reason and you need more fat for energy. these low carb days keep glucose low, which keep insulin low, which releases glucagon and keeps fat burning high. but since you cant have low carbs low protein low fat (low everything lol) because then you will also be super low calorie and slow your metabolism so you bump protein and fat. make sense?

Do you cardio 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Weight train later in the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.