Going on 120k, no timing belt change

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by saleen1_sr, Aug 3, 2005.

1. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

Hopefully this post won’t get others to try to use their factory timing belt to 120k miles but I'm stating facts. I use my Galant as a family car and I do not do any kind of hard driving. I have been unable to pay $600 bucks to get it changed since the 60k came around when it is Suggested it needs changing. My wife lost her job and we have a family of 5 making it on just my income. The only reason I have not changed it this long is because I cannot afford to, but I finally got the funds and I'm going to drop it off right after work to get it done. You all don’t know what I went thru knowing that this thing could pop at anytime. Wife bitching at me that it did not need to be changed because her dad said so. (father in law, I guess always owed domestic cars). Too me it was like playing with a ticking timebomb with no time display. finally I can breathe easier now, knowing that I will drop it off today to get it changed.

Thank you Mitsubishi, this almost makes up for the fucked up brakes that galants have.
    :)

I have a 99 galant I4 engine.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

60k eh? that's odd cause honda's are good for 100k.

3. Hym3n

Hym3n New Member

Your wife/herdad are stupid. You got lucky.. and I'm glad to hear that it's getting worked out now. I drive a Mitsu 3000GT, and it's notorious for snapping timing belts after 60k for no good reason. Then suddenly you're looking at bent valves and cracked pistons, etc etc... selling the car for parts value days later.

I'm a big fan of that year bodystyle ('99-'01) Galant, and I'm sorry to hear about your brakes. If you have any time out of work/familywork, see if you can learn to work on cars a bit yourself. Brakes are a very easy and routine maintenance item, and will ultimately save you a good deal of money if you're to do them yourself.

4. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

Well, Galants of my year have had problems with the brakes shaking. I do work myself on cars but never have done engine work so I decided to stay away from the timing belt. I already changed out the lower arm bushings to fix the problem of shaking after 70 and replace the disk on the passengers side. Still shakes when I brake so next thing is new tires wich I do need and also an aligment. I love the look of these cars and I'm glad that timing belt didnt pop. I plan on keeping this car for a long time because it has had no problems and its been a reliable car.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  5. JoeyFyed

JoeyFyed New Member

How odd, my 1994 camry randomly shut off on the freeway a month ago, i turned it back on and it seemed fine. So again this thursday im coming home from a hookah bar, and stop at a stop sign, car shuts off like last time. This time it wont turn on, so i got it towed to my house since my mechanic was closed on the weekend, and the tow truck guy said it was timing belt that needed to be changed. Take in mind i have 119,XXX miles on my car. Any idea what would happen, does a replacement fix it. I read above that the valves couldve cracked, can someone explain that please? All in all, im hoping the car is fucked over!! i hate that POS, time for a new car if this one is crap. Please die camry... lol =]

6. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Don't know about that. A broken timing belt would make your engine shut off, but it certainly wouldn't be able to start back up again.

On cars with overhead-cam engines, the timing belt is what drives the cams, which open and close the intake and exhaust valves on each cylinder. If that belt breaks while the car is moving and in gear, the valvetrain stops moving, but the pistons keep going up and down. What happens next depends on the design of the engine. If the engine is a non-interference type, that means the valves and pistons never occupy the same space at different times. So nothing will happen, but of course the engine won't run. However, if the engine is an interference type, when those valves stop moving and each piston comes back up, one or more of the valves will be hit by the top of the piston, wrecking the valvetrain and possibly the piston as well.

You didn't say which engine your Camry has, the V6 would be a non-interference engine, and the I4 is as well I think, but I am finding conflicting information.

7. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

Your running a Mitsubishi 40,000 over a timing belt??? :noes: I change mine every 20,000 miles... although with my car's reliablity record thats about 6 years. :rofl:

8. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

Actually it was 60K over.

9. JoeyFyed

JoeyFyed New Member

Its a I4 2.2Cyl Engine 125HP yadadaa.. lol. what does this mean now? lol =[

10. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

i am part of the mitsubishi family too. they say 60k to be safe. but it was only worn down by about 50% when i changed mine. you could safely let it go to around 80k. mitsu just says 60k so if it does somehow snap they dont have to cover the outcome under warrenty.

11. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

At what milage did you change yours?

12. Azn_azzho

Azn_azzho New Member

Yea, for Mitsu, 60k is like a standard right? Owned an Eclipse 2G, 60k is a must!

13. KSNIPPY

KSNIPPY As lost as i get i will find you

i know im late on responding, i just read this thread, but just to inform any of you the 5sfe 2.2L engine in the toyota camrys are non interference engines, so you should have nothing to worry about when the timing belt breaks, theres only a few toyota engines that are interference engines. i just got my timing belt changed in my camry last week, dont know how many miles were on it though.

14. JoeyFyed

JoeyFyed New Member

Thanks alot guys, i got it fixed about 2 weeks ago. No biggy, they also gave me new brakes, it feels good to stop =] lol. A friend just took out his BMW 1999 323i 5 Speed. Mishift's from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to fourth. While redlining 3rd he hits 2nd. Car stops =/. Tow truck guy said the sound was the timing belt not working when he tried to start her back up. Next morning, he has bent pistons and cracked valves. 3200 to fix =/

15. Finest

Finest OG #93

Uh, don't you mean cracked pistons and bent valves? :ugh: And why did he try to start it up and damage it some more? :o

16. saleen1_sr

saleen1_sr Active Member

160 mark and going on strong. I'm going to replace the timing belt again and water pump just in case so to be proactive about it.

17. 1.8

1.8 Guest

Non-interference motors FTMFW

18. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Nothing wrong with interference engines, high C:R and valve lift make it almost impossible to be non interference.
    That's what timing CHAINS are for. ;)