going mobile, shopping list.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Morgan06, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I know what I'm doing, but a second set of eyes always helps. Is there anything missing from these lists or do you have an alternate suggestion?

What I have:
    Ext. cords
    Water tank
    Shop vac
    Leeson Comet pressure washer
    Cummins Onan generator
    Makita rotary
    Spur pad cleaner
    Wax pads
    Brushes
    Buckets
    Spray bottles
    Mustard bottles
    Microfibers and Terry towels
    Wash mitts
    3M Perfect It compound
    Meguairs Diamond compound
    Collinite Insulator
    Ardex Seal B glaze
    Meguiars Gold car wash
    ECP leather pack
    Sprayway glass cleaner
    ProStripe vinyls
    Sales and Tax permit
    Insurance (Zurich NA, FTW)
    Trade Name cert.

What I need:
    Wheel cleaner - Meguiars Wheel Brightener or ?(1 gallon concentrates only)
    Dressing - must be NON SILICONE
    One step - Optimum Poli-Seal or ?
    Light color glaze - Meguiars Machine Glaze
    Paint sealant - ?
    DA polisher - UDM
    DA and rotary pads - 5.5" Light cut/Polish/Final and 8" Wool/Yellow/Grey or Blue
    Clay - ?
    No water wash - Optimum No Rinse or ?
    Hand glaze - 3M Imperial or ?
    All purpose cleaner - ? (1 gallon concentrates only)
    Surgical towels (on glass: blue hucks > newspaper > microfiber :eek4:)
    Signage for on site advertising, 3 sq. ft +
    Manual credit card imprinter
    Prep solvent - Ardex 6209 or ?
    Air Freshener - Fire D or ?
    ???

Those double sided detail brushes that look like a toothbrush- anyone have a source on those?

2. quamen

quamen New Member

sonnys car wash for the double sided brush

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Meguiars #105
    3M Ultrafina SE and pad
    Poli-Seal is a great one step, I'd get some Optimum Car Wax as well, great for fast one steps or to buff off Poli-Seal
    Meguiars and LC have really good pads-look into Meguiars Solo pads as well

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Ultrafina, isn't that the newish version of the white finesse-it?

Isn't 105 the ultra heavy cut? Honestly, if theres anything the 85 Diamond or 3M compound can't handle with a wooly- I'd just as soon hit it quick with some 1200 grit. Maybe when I run out of either I'll check it out.

I've got Shlegel/Buff and Shine pads locally- I'll probably stick with them. Don't think they make the DA pads though.

5. Scottwax

Ultrafina is an honest to God swirl ELIMINATOR.
    #105 is rocks in a bottle but trust me, you want it. Real fast working time, very minimal holograms even with a wool pad. Takes out 1200 grit sanding marks with no effort and the finish it leaves behind is amazing for the cut. I did a white ceramiclear C230 today and it has serious spider swirls and holograms all over it and I was able to two step the car with UF and #105.

6. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

If you insist on water-based dressings (bad idea), use Meguiars' Hyper Dressing 2 parts water to 1 part dressing. Workds great on engines and MOST tires. I only use silicone exclusively on tires.

Perhaps as important as any tool in your arsenal is an air compressor with a blow gun @ 80 psi to clean crevices, between seasts, seams, and cup holders. Get the highest capacity 110 volt compressor you have room for.

A GPS is invaluable.

And OBDII scanner (about $45) for errant engine codes will save your ass.

A basic tool kit with ratchets, sockets, and screwdrivers will save your ass.

Live Enzymes (get from your janitorial supplier) for food spills and rotten smells.

Touchup paint.

Steel wool.

Business cards.

Lettering for work vehicle.

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Silicone dressings cause rubber to brown, attract and hold dust/dirt, are prohibited in body shop environments and have a tendency to sling onto lowers. Additionally, a greasy tire does not equal a clean tire. After explaining that to hundreds of customers, I've had a handful insist on a silicone shine for which I have whatever bullshit AutoZone sells.

I have been looking for a good enzyme based cleaner, found some at Home Depot and Petco. Anyone have experience with the non-automotive based carpet scrubs? Can't find BioKleen locally.

Finalizing my business cards today, been brainstorming for a week or so- back and forth between designs is so tedious. :hs:

edit* Thousands of cars cleaned, less than 25 did I need a source of compressed air. But when/if I expand into spot repairs I'll be going with an Emglo.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  8. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Here is where I'm leaning on the cards. After some advice from family, friends and OT members they're not as flashy or ornate as I'd like- but the message is clear and to the point. Slightly edited of course, give me a call if you'd like to voice an opinion. Front & Back

[​IMG]

9. Scottwax

Do you really want dealer/fleet business? You do top notch work and private vehicle owners will be beating down your door and pay you more.

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

For three reasons:

1. I'm pretty well known in the wholesale/retail car business, I can't turn my back on people who have provided for me quite a bit so far. Even dealers will sign the work order for a problem car or client when needed. Most service depts. close at noon on Sat and are empty on Sun. If a car sells and needs a full clean- sales usually issues a 'we owe' and the customer will have to come back for the detail OR the customer won't buy without seeing the vehicle cleaned. Either of those situations can warrant an appointment with me- especially the end of the month when quotas are being met.

2. I also hope to be supplementing my empty schedule with work from small dealers who have 'detailer wanted' ads in the paper- at least until I build my client list.

3. Expansion. If things work out, I've got some good ideas from previous employers in order to build my empire. Keeping a good rapport in the industry will be necessary. ;)

Edit * And I'm still waiting on the OK from ASE on changing the color of the logo, I don't want no problems.