GUN Going Into the Navy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FarBeyondDriven, Nov 15, 2003.

1. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

I'm going into the Navy's Officer Training program ( not sure what specialty yet), and I was curious, will I be allowed to own a fully automatic gun at home while I'm in the service and after? Also, are officers issued weapons? If so, which gun?

Thanks guys I know it sounds dumb... I just hope I can stay armed while in the service....

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

You won't be allowed to own a fully automatic weapon after you're out of the service just because you were in the navy, I can tell you that much. I defer the other questions to someone else :o

3. KW

KW Guest

No, military folks are subject to the laws of the land like all the rest of us. You can still own a full auto, but you have to file the paperwork, get signed off by the chief law enforcement officer in your area, and pay a tax stamp. Then find a legal (registered, built before 1986 ban) full auto weapon. Typical price for an M-16 these days is $8,000 and up. Be aware the some states have their own full auto bans which prevent you from even doing this.

With regard to issued weapons, it depends entirely on what you do in the Navy. As an officer it's unlikely you would be issued a weapon, but there are certain areas where you might - pilots going into combat, SEALs etc. Typical US Military issue weapons are the M-16 variants, and the M9 (Beretta 92) pistol. There are some exceptions to this, but usually only in special forces units.

4. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

They don't issue pistols to pilots? I have very good reaction time, perfect vision and hearing, very good logistic skills, and remember technical specs very well so I'm hoping to pilot..

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Unless the Navy issues you a weapon, or your CO will sign off a purchase order for a weapon saying it is used in your military capacity, you must comply with the same laws as civilians. So as KW said, with a very few exceptions, it's highly unlikely you will be able to own an automatic without the same hassle as anyone else. (i'm not in the USN, so i will avoid the word "impossible")

Pilots are normally issued the Beretta 92, known as the M9 in the military, or possibly the SIG P228 (M11). i've never seen a pilot outside a combat zone with a weapon, but i don't know if they don't have them or simply don't carry them.

6. Infrastructure

Infrastructure New Member

Everyone is correct in stating that pilots are issued the Beretta M9, which is a crappy worthless piece of shit if you ask me. I was a small arms and assault weapons instructor for a special operations training group in the Marine Corps and spent plenty of time at the range with the M9. Pilots, whether training or flying on actual combat missions normally carry the M9 with two extra mags on their flight suit.

As an officer...or enlisted for that matter...you will be required to train with and qualify with the M16-A2. This is not a fully auto weapon..it is semi-auto, yet it does have the capabilities of firing three round bursts.

Also as an officer or as an enlisted man....if you are required to live in base housing such as the barracks you will not legally be able to posses a weapon in your barracks room. Most commands require you to register your weapon with the base armory and it also has to be stored there. With that being said....it is a pain in the ass to try and get your own personal weapon out of the armory, at least it was for me being in the corps. If I wanted to check my own personal weapon out of the armory for the weekend I had to first notify my platoon sgt, then my OIC, then the btn CO, and if they all agreed....then I could check my weapon out for the weekend, but never are you allowed to take that weapon to the barracks. If you checked it out....you had to make special arrangements with the armory to check your weapon back in that weekend...or store it at a friends house until the beginning of the week at which time you are required to check that weapon back in to the armory, even though it is your own personal weapon.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

it is HIGHLY unlikely (like kelly, i avoid impossible) that any navy personnel, aside from those that will be using an M16 for their MOS, will ever get to shoot 5.56 out of it. they use .22 conversion kits, and they don't spend a whole lot of time with it. the air force is the same way.

8. nufankixass

nufankixass Guest

I'm in the navy. i went through boot in 98, and all they had was the laser m16. but nowadays they use some sort of pneumatic thing to simulate recoil for the shotguns, 9mm, and 16s. on my ship we didn't even have the m16, but m14s. standing quarterdeck watches you'll be issued a 9, but that's it. if you happen to get involved with a ships security team, there's a good chance you'll get qualed on the m60, 50 cal, and grenade launcher too.

9. footratfunkface

you guys probably used a FATS system, or something similar. i have a friend, and when she went through basic a couple years ago, from what i could gather of her limited knowledge of firearms, she fired a .22 conversion kit. she said that they used magazines, and had real rounds, but they were small. which leads me to that conclusion.

10. kIwin

kIwin Guest

If you want to own a full auto firearm, you can obtain a permit for one, which is easily obtained if you have no warrants or felony convictions, or even misdemeaner convictions in some cases. But be aware - full auto firearms are normally considered collector items, and will run in the ballpark of $5,000-$25,000

Even an H&K MP5 will run you nearly $10,000 for the non SD version. Same goes for most M16 variants.

11. RRTX

RRTX New Member

There is a nice M-60 for sale on gunsamerica.com for a reasonable 44,000 bucks, there are also several m-16's in the 16-19k dollar range. As much as I loved shooting full auto while I was in the Army, I would never pay that much for one unless I hit the lotto or something lol

12. kIwin

kIwin Guest

Not to mention the amount of ammunition you burn up firing in full auto. Unless you reload your ammo, your 4 hour adventure at the range won't be very cheap.

13. footratfunkface

if you spend 4 hours straight just shooting an M16, even bursting it, without breaks for anything other than reloading mags, you're going to have that barrel glowing in no time. even if you don't, you're still putting completely unnecessary wear on it.

and M16's right now go from the mid-$8k's bare minimum on up. for poor saps like some people that frequent this forum, the price might be higher than $10k. but those that know where to look, or have the patience to keep looking, can find them for $9000 or so right now.

14. kIwin

kIwin Guest

I didn't say 4 hours of constant shooting - a day at the range typically is 4 hours or so. During that time you can use anywhere from 200-600 rounds with a semi auto firearms, now if you are firing full auto, you will obviously be using a lot more

15. jrmy

jrmy Guest

AIRFORCE > navy !!!!!

16. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Guest

Right now it is pretty hard to get pilot slots through navy OCS, and if you attrite they are kicking you, better rethink your service.