Going insane trying to sync all my data + Raid 0 --> 5 conversion question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Jan 23, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

Okay, so there's my problem. I have one main desktop at home with 2x250 RAID 0. I recently discovered that this is what I think is fakeraid (i had to install RAID drivers before I installed windows to put my OS on the RAID 0 setup).

Now I have a partition on the RAID 0 setup thats for all my data, which is obviously backed up (actually twice). The problem is that syncing files across three different backups is a pain in the ass. I haev an extra internal that I use for one backup, but SMART tells me its not going to last long (it has been saying that for a year though lol). And I have another copy of the data on my external which I take to school with me, which I need.

So every once in a while I need to sync my external becuase I take it to college with my data at home on the RAID array. I'm thinking instead of backing it up onto the extra intenral HDD, I make a RAID 5 array and have just one copy of all my data on my desktop at home, and then the external will have another copy of it at school. and when I come home I can sync the two as needed, right?

Someone else linked to this recently: http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_raid.html
    which is the feature I think my mobo supports.

I really hope that wasn't confusing. So I'm thinking the best way to keep my data secure at home would be just pop in another 250 and convert to RAID 5, which it would do automatically correct? And then get rid of my extra internal that might die, and then keep a Synced copy on my external?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Correct, just try and get the same drive as the other two.

Not sure about this. You would probably have to manually tell it to change but I'm not sure.

You would be better off buying a RAID card than using the onboard RAID. Two reasons for this. First off, a RAID card will lessen the strain put on the processor by handling the RAID itself. Secondly, onboard features are usually the first things to go out (aside from components with moving parts) and it can be hard to find a replacement that won't cause data loss when migrating.

As far as backup software, there is another thread here (on page 1) with some good automatic and manual backup software to copy your school files.

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

Would I be able to switch to a card w/out reformatting the drives? Like could I just pop in teh card and have my RAID 0 working just like that?

Also, yeah I saw that thread. I need something to sync across the internet though if anyone knows a program? (that's free :))

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I don't think you would be able to convert a RAID0 to a RAID5 without reformatting even if its on the same controller. I think you'll have to reformat no matter what.

Copy eveything to your external, insert card with drives and build the RAID then reformat.

On a side note, I have a RAID5 and do NOT keep my OS and programs on it. I have a drive outside the RAID with my OS and all progs on it so I can reformat and reinstall Windows all I want with no worry of loosing any data on the RAID.

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

hm the nvidia nvraid program has a "hot plug array" wizzard that "will guide me through hot plugging the drives of an existing raid array," so i originally thought that this was to add more SATA HDDs and have it do its thing to incorporate them into the RAID setup?