Going from XP back to 98...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Here's the story, I originally had 98 running on my computer, I got a hold of XP upgraded and ever since then I've had nothing but problems, issues with drivers, hardware, certain programs and what not. When I had 98 everything worked fine, no problems. My question is, can I just re-install 98, and will this correct the problems I'm having now?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

As long as you back everything up you want to keep, there's no reason not to go back. I'd try W2k myself, the benefits of a new OS, without the headaches of XP and MS's efforts to thwart pirating.

3. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I agree w/5Gen_Prelude - if you have the means, try windows 2000 before going back to 98

4. Riiiiiiight....

Riiiiiiight.... AVAST!!!!

Did you just upgrade 98 to XP, or did you do a format and install XP fresh? I have always had problems when upgrading machines to XP with out formatting first, especially if the machine had windows 98 on it. If you did do that, try doing a complete reformat and see if that helps with your problems.

To answer your question, you cannot install 98 over XP as it will come back and say you have a newer operating system installed blah blah... You will have to format your drive to go back to 98.

5. KingNothing

KingNothing New Member

Like Right said, you'll have to format and reinstall - You can't just "undo" your XP installation.

6. eitan

eitan Guest

Also like Right said, NEVER EVER UPGRADE! ALWAYS fresh install MS OSes. Upgrades bring nothing but trouble.

7. KingNothing

KingNothing New Member

Ya. He could probably just reinstall XP and have no problems as long as he doesn't fuck around in his registry like I did. :hs: