Going from Vista to XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by forgotmyname, Mar 19, 2009.

1. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

Is the process tedious or not because right now, I have Vista 64 bit and it is a complete piece of shit. Even with 4 gigs, it hangs up randomly and crashes.

My only gripe would be the fact that XP Pro doesn't accept 4gigs.

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Its the same as installing any OS. You will have to start from a clean slate, ie reinstall all progs.

I have no problems with my Vista install that I blame on Vista. I'd prefer a different flavor than 32bit Business but thats what my school had for free...

3. xp 64bit can see 4gb i think.
    it depends on ur pc though for the downgrade. dell is good about providing xp drivers.
    hp is decent, but you really have to track them down. what kind of pc is it?

4. just double checked, xp 64bit can see up to 128gb of ram

5. seismic

seismic New Member

Try reinstalling Vista first. My PC runs all sorts of faster with Vista than it did with XP with the same specs.

6. have u configured vista for better performance? (turning off all the visual crap etc..) sometimes that also helps

7. forgotmyname

Its an Acer and there is an app that scans your whole computer and creates a back up of your all drivers.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

XP 32 bit will see anywhere between 3 and 4 gigs depending on shared memory. XP 64 bit is a PITA

9. forgotmyname

In terms of compatibility?

10. awns729

awns729 New Member

Hard to find drivers and some programs won't run in XP 64. I really really doubt you'll hit > 3GB ram, so just stick with 32 bit.

11. 5Gen_Prelude

XP 64 should never have been released - it was a rushed response to other OS's supporting 64 bit.

12. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

I have never had a stability or compatability problem, or any problem, with Vista.

It's mind boggling how much gets blamed on the OS. Vista had a terrible reputation for the longest time because 3rd party manufacturers where slow with driver releases... I mean jesus imagine if you were a programmer who worked on vista and it is getting bad mouthed all over the news and the internet for something that has nothing to do with it or because people don't know how to use their computers? I would be pretty pissed off.

13. 5Gen_Prelude

Having said that, why a new driver HAD to be written seems silly to me. There has GOT to be way of making that unnecessary.

14. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

A little yes and a little no.

I think this time around it mostly had to do with the 32bit to 64bit switch, which would necessitate a rewrite of all drivers.

In general though IF the new OS doesn't change how it communicates with hardware on a fundamental level then drivers should not have to be changed.

15. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

:werd: Drivers for it suck, and it's not very stable.

I've been running Vista Ultimate 64-bit on 2 desktops at home, my Thinkpad, and my work desktop, and I've never had any trouble. Only thing that wouldn't work for me was my Microsoft Fingerprint Reader (which I got for free anyway)/

16. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

I would bet it has software on it causing more problems than windows has.

17. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

OEM computers ftl.

"Would like some shitty bundled trial software with your generic garbage hardware?"

18. 5Gen_Prelude

I've run into more Acer crap causing issues than you can imagine. On the flipside, IBM/Lenovo have awesome OEM software.

19. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

The company I work for is exclusive to IBM/Lenovo and for the most part I agree, although some things they include are absolute trash(diskeeper, and some of the thinkvantage things that can be annoying(password manager, connection management).

20. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

is it a desktop or laptop? and acer, i have seen bad things first hand. One person had an acer laptop that had driver problems. the wireless card driver was made only for vista, so no wireless in xp. eventually vista was so bad, and there were enough people buying acers that someone went through the trouble finding a working driver for the card in Linux. ( i guess?)
    Similar story with a Toshiba laptop.

computers in a box are horrible, hope all works out for you :ugh:

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

have you tried a fresh install of vista without any of their crap software along with latest drivers?

22. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

XP64 is made of epic fail and AIDS.

i installed vista 64 two months ago and the machine has been rock solid. hasn't crashed once.

in the mean time, OSX randomly causes the keyboard and trackpad on my macbook pro to stop working completely. works completely fine in vista :rofl:

23. dan zig

dan zig New Member

I bought and acer aspire laptop awhile ago,and it was the biggest festering piece of shit I have ever seen lol.

I will never buy anything acer again.

24. TheRooTy

TheRooTy New Member

I don't get how people are saying Vista 64 bit is so great, I hate it. I have 4GB's and the oS itself uses about 1Gb itself, I have crashed many times, and huge errors were the computer updates what ever it wants and installs driver For my hardware that isn't compatiable and I had to reinstall everything just to get things to work.

25. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

No offense, but that is because you are dumb.

The OS uses more ram because it is more efficient. I know that sounds counter intuitive but that is because MOST people are dumb and haven't studied operating system design. To drive the point home let me ask you what is the value of having 4gb of ram and letting it sit there empty? Vista caches frequently used programs and data so that it loads very quickly the next time you use it. Should an application need that memory it is instantly freed. There is no negative effects of this system.

And the compatability and driver problems you are talking about are 75% user error, 20% 3rd party software/hardware errors, and 5% actual problems with the operating system.

Sorry to take the wind out of your sails, but stop blaming your problems on the operating system when I can almost guarantee it has nothing to do with it and judging by your comment about it's memory consumption I can also guarantee you don't know enough about what you are talking about to make that judgment.