Going from my pictures, should I be cutting or bulking?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Lionel Hutz, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aside from the last 5 months, i have been lifting pretty regularly for the last 2 years or so. I started off skinny/fat at 125 lbs, and now I am about 178 lbs (5'7). I have never had low bodyfat and no gut, so a few times i tried cutting, but lost like 30 lbs along with a ton of muscle, so my body fat never really lowered. Since then i have been scared to cut since it set me back so far both times. So what should I be doing? I do want to be lean eventually, i just want to do it the right way.

[​IMG]

That is me when i was "skinny fat" before i started lifting, almost 3 years ago.

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

cutting

3. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Guest

do I even have enough muscle on me to do that? I don't want to have to drop to like 135 lbs in order to look lean

4. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

since you do have extra weight, you will probably build some muscle in the progress of your cut.

lift hard and eat good

5. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Guest

do I look like someone who has been bulking, or do i just look like a fatty?

6. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Guest

already started a 100% clean diet as of yesterday. :bigthumb: Right now im just eating the natural amount for me daily, becuase im still not sure if i need to be cutting or what? Also, last time i thought that would happen, i lost a ton of muscle for some reason, even though i still lifted as hard as i always did. Every gym session I just got weaker and weaker, and i wasn't sure why. Once i got down to like 140lbs after my first cut (weighed 160) i was smaller but had no definition, and did not even look like i lifted. I still have no idea why that happened, and im scared to cut :(

7. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

ummm you look like someone that has been lifting but does have high percentage of bf. Nothing to fear though, you just need to take your cut slower. Try to maintain what you have for a little longer, your body basically sheds muscle pretty quick when you starve yourself.

Edit: What Routine are you following?

Ceaze - how much weight is ideal to lose per week while cutting?

8. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

you look significantly larger and more mature than your "before" picture. you probably have just grown naturally bigger and filled out, if you cut and keep lifting you will probably not lose too much muscle. i wouldn't pay attention too much to your actual weight, weighing 135 and looking good > 180 and looking fat.

9. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Guest

i kind of agree, I just speak this way from previous experience. When i weighed 140 lbs after my first cut i lost tons of muscle and i still had a gut

10. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Guest

No specific routine really, I have chest/bi day, back/tri day, and legs/shoulder day. Each day I do about 6 total excercises with 3 sets of each one. For reps I do 8/6/5 and add weight per rep, and usually go to failure if i can do more than the rep and then bump up the weight on the next set.

11. Delt Smasher

Delt Smasher Guest

cutting? more like bulking :ugh:

12. Ceaze

1 lb

13. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Guest

why should i bulk more? Im already 175-180 lbs and im a short ass guy

14. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Guest

when do you stop losing water weight and begin to lose fat? Back in the past when tried cutting i lost like 5 or so lbs in one week, and i know some of that was definately water weight. I kept losing more and more weight each week but nothing was coming off my gut.

15. Ceaze

it's not like it's a switch that flips on and off

16. pt

pt New Member

when in doubt, bulk :noes:

17. Ceaze

posted by CT:

1. A competitior or someone training for aesthetic purposes should never go much above 10-12% body fat. This is an opinion also shared by Dr. Mauro DiPasquale and George Farah (pro bodybuilder who is also a nutrition advisor for many pros). So basically you can "bulk up" (I HATE that term and will tell you why shortly) until you reach at most 12% (preferably 10%) then diet down til you drop back down to 8-9% then work your way up again, etc. Not going above 10-12% will allow you to stay within striking distance of your contest condition and will allow you to come in tight everytime as the skin will not be stretched as much. At a true 8% bodyfat, most men are around 4-6 weeks out from contest shape. At 10% we're talking about around 8-10 weeks. Plus, I do feel that a bodybuilder should at least look like one most the year!

2. I do NOT believe in bulking up in the traditional sense of the term. By bulking up I mean eating a drastically high amount of calories to bring your bodyweight as high as possible. The thing is that your body has its own limitation when it comes to adding muscle mass. This limitation is due to your natural protein synthesis limit. In most men this limitation is around 0.25 - 0.5lbs of muscle tissue per week, and that's if EVERYTHING is done perfectly 24/7. You can gain more WEIGHT without gaining fat, but we're talking increased water and glycogen storage. So at the most we're talking 12-20lbs per year. And that's the best case scenario. However since bodybuilders generally spend 3-4 months out of the yeat dieting, we are talking more about a 8-12lbs gain per off-season... again this is the BEST CASE SCENARIO. So if you bulk up like a mad man in hope of forcing your body to gain more, and end up gaining 40lbs over an 8 months period, chances are that around 30lbs of those "gains" will be fat.

Now, since your body has its own limit to building muscle mass (understand that this limit is individual. Some lucky few can build more than that, other much less... beginners can gain faster at first and so do those recovery lost muscle mass) force feeding it nutrients will not lead to more muscle growth once your body already has all of what it needs to gain at an optimal rate.

Take this example...

Your muscles are a house you want to build. The protein synthesis process is the employees building the house. Protein represent the material needed to build the house and fats/carbs are the employee's salary.

Now, each employee has a work capacity limit. Past a certain point he simply cannot work any faster. Once you reach that point, even if you were to give the employees more bricks and a larger salary it's just impossible for them to work harder. Now, if they are not working optimally and you increase their salary and give them more bricks they WILL work faster. But once the reach their limits their is nothing you can do... except hiring more employees (which would be represented by using anabolic hormones which articificially jacks up your protein synthesis capacity).

Make sense?

BTW, this is where "illusion training" comes in. By focusing more on certain bodyparts you can create the illusion of gaining more size. If you gain 8lbs per off-season and that this 8lbs is spread evenly over all your body you wont look much different visually. However, that that 8lbs of put it on 1-2 specific zones and BAM, you look completely different! Rememeber that on stage it's not about how much you weight or even how big you are... it's about how big you LOOK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.