GUN Going for my CCW test on Saturday

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tragicher0, Nov 8, 2007.

1. tragicher0

tragicher0 Before I couldn't even spell DBA, now I are one OT Supporter

trying to decide what gun to bring

Glock 23c
    Glock 19
    Glock 22c

or, my current choice

Walther p22 :hs:

What does OT think?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what is your fascination with comps?

You have to bring a gun with you for ccw test? Bring whatever you shoot the best. I'd think that would be the g22 due to the longest barrel.

3. tragicher0

I only own 1 of the comps, the 23c. The other 19 and 22c are my mom's and my bro's, respectively.

I honestly shoot the best with the p22, at longer ranges. My 23 is a bit snappy, and I'm sure I could hit the 14x16 in target at the requisite range (5 and 10 yds)

That being said, I can drive tacks with my p22 at that range, however, I dont ever plan on carrying the p22 for defense.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

bring what you know you'll pass the test with. Then work at a range to become better with what you plan to carry.

So all you have to do is hit a 14x16 target at 10 yards? That's fucking recockulous. Anyone that fails that needs to be restricted from having a firearm other than at a range, and only for the purpose of improving to at least that level.

5. tragicher0

:werd:

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

where are you taking the ccw?

7. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

You can take the test with a .22?
    We can't do that in Texas.

On a side note, I got a letter in the mail today saying my CHL will expire in April, and that I can start the renewal process on line. Doesn't seem like I've had it this long.

8. Paintballer

Paintballer Choo Choooo....

I'm taking mine on Saturday also. Using my XD9 Service Model since I dont have my Comp. yet.

9. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

use the .22. no sense wasting more expensive ammo shooting at what you have to shoot at, instead of what you want to shoot at.

10. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Here in TN we can take the test with any caliber we want, there were quite a few people qualifying with .22's in my class :dunno:

One woman still managed to fail though :rofl:

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

oh that's humiliation.

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

I wish they made people shoot a standards IDPA COF. If you are going to "qualify" them for CCW, it may as well be a bit more realistic and force them to draw from concealment and shoot with cover or on the move.

It's been so long since I had to initially get mine, since I just renew online now, but I remember getting my CCW after submitting a form, getting my fingerprints and getting it in the mail 6 days later.

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

In CA you have to pass the shooting portion with whatever you will carry, since you can only carry what you have qualified with.

14. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

It was horrible :rofl:

She was shooting a snub nose in a larger caliber and hit the paper maybe 5 times. The shooting portion here is stupid easy, you shoot a B27 target and just have to hit the silhouette (That's like a 18"x24" target if not larger). She even managed to put a few rounds through her neighbors target :mamoru:

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the neighbor must have thought they were hot-shit. 8 holes in their silhouette using only six rounds.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

*shrug* Do you think most people will need to use their ccw at more than 10 yards? The idea of having people test is retarded but if you insist on testing that seems reasonable to me.

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, true that. If you shoot someone outside of 10 yards in a SD situation, better get a good lawyer, your screwed.

But why have a test at all if it's going to be that stupid. May as well be a test of proper gun handling skills than shooting skills.

I'd rather see a safe gun handler totally miss the target than a unsafe gun handler with his muzzle all over the place blazing holes at the target.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats sort of the idea. I'd rather gun owners recognize how pointless these tests are and suggest we get rid of them and recognize people's rights to self defense instead of supporting making them harder.

19. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

A friend of mine just got her CCW and she said they didn't care if she was even able to hit the target. She just had to fire 50 rounds through it.....that seems kind of wrong.

20. F8Lstang

F8Lstang in savasana

there are private instructors here that don't require you to even shoot, they come to your house and spend a couple hours educating you on the laws

21. tragicher0

9\10 on range and 100% on the written

Only reason I missed 1 shot is that the fucking bitch next to me with her .45 hand cannon couldn't control it, and was kicking brass in my face. as I shot my 3rd round, a piece of toasty warm .45 acp brass landed in my shirt coller.

TONS of morons in my class, 2 people that have never even shot a weapon before, other people that brought weapons that they didnt practice with enough, and couldnt hit shit at 15 ft.

I ended up using my p22, there was another guy there with one as well. All my shots were in the smaller circle, with the exception of the one that got away, which was in the neck area of the silhouette (Super Trooper style :keke: :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  22. tragicher0

other moments from the day

2 guys that could not understand that you do NOT touch the trigger between shots. Cook one off, go to ready with trigger finger on slide. They were disqualified yet were allowed to re qualify after everyone else finished.

1 lady that brought along a Glock 17, and couldnt hit shit with it, I was trying to coach her and whenever she pulled the trigger, she would close her eyes and tense up. Someone else ended up letting her borrow a Walther p22, and I gave her 20 CCI Stingers (took her 3 tries to pass total)

Some young gang banger kid that kept talking about how him and his 'homeys' would be in certain situations, and would ask the instructor if he could 'pop a cap' at the other people legally. This kid also thought that if someone is verbally threatening you, with no other weapons, you are justified in the use of deadly force...

I made sure to ask were that kid lived, I dont plan on going to Apache Junction ever again.

23. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:rofl:

24. tragicher0

Ya, Some of the people in the class were fucking idiots, no clue about gun safety, no idea about the use of deadly force. Yet they want to carry a weapon with them at all times.

I probably wont end up even carrying mine that much, I normally keep it in my car. Only reason I wanted to get it was I'm living in an apartment now (between houses), and even though its in a very nice area, there have been some shootings in the complex already, and there are some drug dealers that live in the building directly behind me.

I normally carry my p22 in my pocket when I walk trash out now, I know its not the best choice for self defense, but im accurate with it and am confident that I would be able to stop an attacker with 3 shots.

Glock 23c stays next to my bed or in my car when im out and about

25. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Where did you take the class at?