Going dual monitors to single problem...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by onedownfiveup, Apr 2, 2008.

1. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

I have a one monitor now and there are a few programs that keep trying to open up on my second monitor and I can't view them nor move them to my only monitor, any easy fix?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Plug the second screen back in for a couple of minutes, get shit done, and put the second screen back where you got it from.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

if you go to display properties, can't you just disable the second display entirely?

i'm assuming XP, so right click on desktop and choose properties, go to settings tab, click on display 2, remove check from "extend my windows desktop..." and click ok. it is basically the same in vista, but how you get to the display properties is slightly different and i don't remember off the top of my head.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ya sounds like you have a display enabled where no physical display corresponds.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I wonder if you reset your monitor resolution to the lowest setting, would you be able to "grab" each program window and recenter them?

:dunno:

6. onedownfiveup

I don't have another monitor to setup.

Also, it does't say I have another monitor.

I tried to reset my resolution also. :(

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can also right click the program in the taskbar, select move and use the cursor keys to move the window.

8. onedownfiveup

I tried that but it won't grab it.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Not sure what you mean - it does work. In fact you can use the cursor key once, then use the mouse - it will grab the bar at the top.

10. deusexaethera

You assume that his video drivers (and Windows, too) are consistent in their treatment of user-interface objects. I'm sure you've noticed that windows can be dragged off the side of the screen, while the mouse pointer cannot at any time move offscreen. It's entirely reasonable to think that, while your idea should work, in reality there's a trap to keep the mouse onscreen regardless of where the window that's trying to grab focus is located, while there is no such trap to keep windows onscreen, thus making it impossible to retrieve a window that is completely offscreen.

Pity they didn't anticipate that possibility in the design stage. A software engineer might have come in handy. Freed from the burden of implementation, he would have had the opportunity to consider every possible circumstance, or at least a lot more possible circumstances than someone tangled in code would have time for.

11. Doc Brown

I just tried it here, and I think you might just need to hold the keyboard arrow down longer to get the program screen to come into sight.

Oh, and make sure you're pressing the correct arrow, obviously.

12. onedownfiveup

Worked, thanks.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they already fixed that.... hence the "move" function and the keyboard arrows.

how can you consider yourself a software engineer if you don't even understand software already in-place?

14. deusexaethera

Understanding the behavior of software already in place is hellishly difficult if there are no design documents available. A thorough code review is in order to develop flowcharts, and analysis of those flowcharts is necessary to determine if there are any missing contingencies.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

and that's why you're useless. You waste days on a 2sec job.

16. 5Gen_Prelude

:rofl:

I would seriously pay money to see you two on reality TV.

17. Doc Brown

Holy shit, could you imagine? How about they both go on The Apprentice and compete against each other.

Trump would be like :eek3:

:mamoru:

18. deusexaethera

Do you know why the Pyramids are still standing? Do you know why there's anything left of Stonehenge? Because they had a plan and they followed it -- and because they used huge fucking rocks, yes, but if they hadn't had a plan, the huge fucking rocks wouldn't resemble anything meaningful nowadays.

On the other side of the coin, do you know why the software market tanked at the end of the 90's? Because those people didn't have any plans; they took the approach you like instead, which is to dig in, get their hands dirty, and see what they could come up with. And with a few notable exceptions, they didn't manage to come up with much of anything.

Maybe you don't have the mind to plan ahead; that's fine, there's a place for people who can't see the forest for the trees. Just stay out of the way of anything that needs to function properly.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you really are a fucking tool.

I went to college. I majored in Computer Science. I know how to fucking write software. I wrote the damn software that my business depends on. And I know how to "plan ahead". I know how the development cycle works.

I wouldn't hire you because you are a liability and not an asset. I'd constantly have to babysit you and it'd be better just not to have you.

20. deusexaethera

If you majored in Computer Science, then you don't know what I know, and if you wrote the software your business uses all by yourself, then it wasn't complicated enough to benefit from the kind of design process I'm talking about. What I learned is how to keep everyone on the same page when development spans dozens, perhaps hundreds of stakeholders.

Have fun with your little database apps.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, okay. Lets ignore that my father is a software developer for IBM... So I'm pretty sure I've seen design projects infinitely more complex than anything you've dreamed on working with.

And there are added complexities from adding developers. I personally choose to do it all myself to simplify things at the small expensive of time-to-market (one person takes longer than 2 or 3). Even so, I'm getting to the point where I will soon need to bring someone on to aide in my development.

And I would be careful insulting my applications. For starters, they work brilliantly and have supported my business well. Secondly, they are actually used in a production environment -- unlike anything you've done.

It's great that you're an armchair-cowboy. How about you go tell NASA how you can launch rockets better than them. It's okay that you've never actually done it professionally.

22. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

lawl...I just go into these threads to watch you two argue!

23. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

They already made a movie a while ago.

[​IMG]

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

25. deusexaethera

Oh, you've seen them, have you? I imagine you and he had some great dinner conversations about them. Not really formal qualification material, though.

And when you do so, you will need to start writing shit down, or else you will begin to lose track of the project.

Yeah, I use my own code too. In my case, the Army and Navy also use my code. And they use my user manuals to learn how to use other people's code.

I don't need to; that's my new boss' job.