SRS Going dry again

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sparq, Aug 22, 2006.

1. sparq

sparq New Member

Joining the non-drinking crew again :bigthumb:

Ive had a problem with alcohol in the past, used it to "erase" my problems - yeah clearly that doesnt work, ended up ruining a relationship and decided to give it up for awhile. Gave it up for 6 months, and decided to start drinking again. Nothing crazy though, just a few beers here and there... like once a week, when I would go play poker or what not.

But recently I have come to the conclussion that I dont need it at all... so im gonna give it up for good. :cool:

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

3. mrscruffles

mrscruffles New Member

good idea, drinking does ruin alot of things and even if it is just a few hear and there its better to quit now instead of waiting for it to become a bigger problem like it was before, keep it up its worth it:bigthumb:

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Hey good for you....I wish you the best of luck. I truely hope you can walk away and not pick it up again.

However, if you experience difficulty with this, please be sure to discuss your difficulty.

Good luck and God Bless!

5. sparq

sparq New Member

Well, hasnt worked out like I had hoped. But im not giving in, heres to better luck next time :bigthumb:

6. Coottie

huh?? That can be taken different ways. Were you unable to stop drinking or did you change your mind on not quitting or did you quit but had bad stuff happen or did you quit...awww fuck it. You get the idea.

So what happened??

7. Metal

Metal Active Member

good question :eek3:

8. sparq

sparq New Member

Got drunk as fuck... drove home :noes:

I need to just give it up, cause clearly I cant make good decisions :wtc:

Im trying though, gonna beat this before it beats me

9. Metal

Metal Active Member

Some people just can't drink, I'm one of them.. I learned it the hard way.. DUI and then Liver Failure leading to a few breaths away from death.. God wanted me to stay here; but start over again with a sober life.

If you think you might have a problem check out the stickied posts in this forum, they have some good information on AA and a link to a Set of Questions that can help you determine if you have a drinking problem.

Although in the end, the only person that can decide that is you; no one can do it for you.

10. sparq

sparq New Member

Yeah, honestly I dont really want to do AA and crap. Less nothing else is working. Just how I am, I make some really dumb choices when im drinking - in all honesty I havent really been DRUNK for probably a good few months before this last saturday. Like I would have 3-4 beers playing poker out to my dads or something, or at a cookout or something but im not really the party person.

I just need to refocus, I think im going to try and find something positive to put some effort into like helping out at a charity or something along those lines. Shoot if I save $50-100 a month from drinkin, I could do some other things with it :)

11. Coottie

LOL...nobody wants to go to AA. We didn't just wake up and say hmmm....think I'll go to AA, yeah....good idea. I haven't ever met anyone that did that. Most people are forced to go because they either don't have any better ideas or the courts make them or they are just really sick and tired of all the pain that alcohol has cost them.

Exercise has helped a lot of people kick a drinking habit before it turned into full blown alcoholism. One of my really good friends came to a few AA meetings with me, then decided to just focus his efforts on his job and working out. He's still sober today without AA and it's been about 5 years for him. He says, he was really bored back then and that's why he drank.

Some people call AA a cult and that we are trying to get new members. It's just not true. Hell if you can drink and it doesn't cause you any problems, great!! Or if you can quit and it doesn't bother you, great. It's just not possible for me to stay sober without help. But if anyone else in the world can....more power to them!!

12. Metal

Metal Active Member

That is what we both agree on whole-heartedly Coottie; sorry that I jumped to a conclusion and replied to the start of your post before reading all of it; thanks to you I have learned a lesson from that; especially in this post and it won't happen again! You are absolutely right in this post and our opinions are 100% on the same side; I just took things the wrong way at first without reading through, I apologize!

I wasn't trying to say that at all.. But I disagreed with you saying
    I didn't read further into your post - I can understand now how nobody 'really wants to go to AA' as "us Alcoholics" *me being one* find it impossible to admit that we are in fact alcoholics - so therefore we say - "WE DONT WANT TO GO TO AA" at first until we reach that point of disaster in our lives that forces us to make a change. Yes, People WANT to go to AA, why else would us alcoholics go to AA anywhere from 1-4 times a day to Meetings?? That means we want to go to AA, at least for me, I NEED AA FOR MY RECOVERY, FOR MY AA PROGRAM; it means I WANT TO GO TO AA and when you said 'Nobody want's to go to AA I took it the wrong way but after re-reading these posts I can now see what you mean by 'nobody really wants to go to AA' as our Alcoholics Anonymous 4th Edition Text says "Nobody want's to admit that they are alcoholic, everyone likes to think they are normal" And for that Coottie, I apologize; I didn't read deep enough into your post until this evening as I had 4 Doctors appointments today that were troubling me... I hope you can accept my apology and we can come to a common ground.

Exercise has helped many of us, yes, once I started going to AA quite awhile ago it included exercising a few times a day; including walking to AA meetings as needed.

At the same time, yes, I agree - "HATS OFF to Those that have the willpower and strength to go without drinking on their own and without AA for they are most likely NON-ALCOHOLIC" - as the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous in a way says - 'If they can find an easier, softer way, our hat's are off to them!' I know this isnt the exact quote but I believe that is the idea the book is trying to portray; if not; I'm open to suggestions. :)

*** EDIT - I apologize to Coottie First of all, because I jumped to my reply before reading his entire post as he said here

Same with me Coottie, you are one of the first one's to help me stay sober, and I knew there was something wrong when I went against you in this post! I didn't read it through and into it's true meaning before a typical 'addict' and egotisctical type of response saying 'No I am the right one!!'... I was wrong. Please accept my apology brother Coottie.. I'd hate to lose you as a friend over a thread like this but I can also understand if you are angry with the comments I made and the way I first interpreted your posts without reading through them.. Please let me know if you want to talk, recovery is hard... this thread literally had me in tears after looking back on it.

Good Thread Everyone!! :wavey: TO the OP: Please don't get mixed up in the different posts and ideas in this forum unless you wish to; like I said; you are the one to decide whether or not you have the problem, not us.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  13. Coottie

Metal, there's no reason to apologize. You've never said anything to offend me so no worries there. We also can have different ideas about things...I mean we are all human and we intrepret things from our own experiences. Hopefully through our common sufferage from the disease of alcoholism we can disagree in respectful ways. You are not even close to losing me as a friend...don't even sweat it man.

I guess I should have added to my previous post that once I found out I was an alcoholic and I made some friends in the AA program, that I did want to go to AA. In fact, that was quite surprising to me....that I would actually grow to like AA and look forward to going to meetings. That's one of the very cool things about AA....it becomes very fun and it's a huge part of many peoples lives. I have met some truly amazing people in the rooms of AA.

And you are correct Metal that my comments about not wanting to go to AA were based on those passages from the Big Book but also from my own experience in coming to terms with my alcoholism. I knew my life was a mess and that things in my life were getting worse and worse. However, I still didn't want to go to AA.

Even after I took a test (don't know the name of the test) that is supposed to tell if a person is most likely chemically dependent or not. The raw score on the test goes to something like 21 or 23 and anyone that scores over 14 is said to be suceptible to chemical dependancy, I scored a 25!! However, even with that, I still didn't want to go to AA because of what it ment.....it ment that I'd have to give up my secret weapon - my best friend - alcohol. That was something that TERRIFIED ME!! And therefore I did NOT want to have anything to do with AA or going to meetings.

Alcohol had worked to help me through life sooooo many times that I really couldn't imagine living life without it. Life without alcohol was very scary and really didn't seem like much fun. I mean I knew people that didn't drink and I thought their lives sucked!!! All the people I liked to hang with drank on a regular basis and I didn't want to "leave them".

But something had to change because my life was seriously spiraling out of control. I knew that if I continued to drink that I would wake up with a serious problem...eventually....and that scared the shit outta me. Twice, I almost got busted for drinking and driving but I managed to narrowly escape. I didn't know how much longer I would be lucky.

So yeah, at first, I didn't want to go to AA but after I went for awhile I wanted to go. I don't know how long it took for the desire to take hold, but I remember the thought - that I really don't want to miss my nightly meeting! I was having tooo much fun in AA....staying at home watching TV just didn't have the same appeal it used to.

14. sparq

sparq New Member

Gonna be 2 weeks tomorrow without a drink, havent even really thought about it at all. Just been drinking water, and I picked up a weight set for times I feel I need to beat myself up physically -- least ill be broly eventually.

What a good birthday present to myself :)

15. surrealchereal

surrealchereal New Member

Start running around the block too... you'll get them endorphins going more and get high on life :big grin:

16. sparq

sparq New Member

I live in the city, running around the block will get me tackled by the cops :rofl:

17. sparq

sparq New Member

I am in a shitty ass mood tonight, was just at the groccery store to pickup some other stuff and I walked by the beer and thought to myself, hmmmm maybe I should pick some up.

Then I decided it was better that I didnt, and replaced beer with chips and salsa :rofl:

Step in the right direction I suppose

18. samonkahonk

samonkahonk New Member

hey i'm doing the same thing. i stopped drinking completely for a month with the exception of a few drinks for a friends 21st birthday. my biggest motivation was remembering the shitty feeling of waking up feeling dizzy and tired, because i wanted to get stuff done throughout the day. Also you should take up some kind of excercise like biking or weightlifting. i do both and i've never felt better :)

All u gotta do is come up with a plan, write it down and stick it in your wallet. When u feel like u want to drink, read the plan again, and that might help you stay on track.