SRS Going back to college...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guz200sx, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

I'm 28 and i want to go back and finish up my degree. I have an Associate (administration of justice) from a community college and i'm interested in this school called ITT Tech but the only thing is that its $405 each credit and to finish up my bachlor's I need 2 more yrs and its about 180 credits (depending on which classes and how many actually transfer over) So i don't know if i can actually afford it. The other school I was going to I didn't like the commute and ITT TECH is only like 20mins away from me. I didn't like the class size and it had also gotten very expensive too. ITT TECH has smaller class sizes and its also a smaller campus, and judging from my past experiences with the community college and its various locations, I did better with smaller classes and smaller campuses.

I have had some financial problems as I have stated on this board before but I am going through the process of eliminating those financial burdens. It may take 3yrs or more until they are completely eliminated though. (or at least one of them will be)

But I was hoping I could get some financial aid to help and eliminate some of the new burden for the school, I've never really gotten a lot of financial aid before either though so I dunno (which is why I got into trouble financially)...I have a friend who kind of did the same but he took a big loan out and has to pay it back. I'm pretty admanant against taking anymore loans out though.

I was talking to my parents about going back to school and finish up but they obviously pointed out how was I going to afford it. I can't stop working so I would have to do night classes (6pm-11pm) and they mentioned that might take a toll on me because working all day (9am-6pm) then going to school at night and then i would have to get up early to start it all over again the next day. But taking classes would not be every day i was told, just 2 or 3 days out of the week. And prolly on the weekend too.

My parents also keep wondering why I can't get a job in my field with just an Associate's degree....I've tried but it hasn't happened yet. I do have an appt to take a Public Safety Communicator test in February but after that I don't have anything lined up...

I'm just wondering what can I do?
    I'd like to finish....I hate to look around and see my friends already done and I'm not. I hate that I stopped and kind of just gave up. I'd like to think that after High School I did something to improve myself. I made a promise too after my Grandmother passed away that I would get my Degree.

I dunno....very confused on what to do....I could also stay in my current job which is working in a school (I call it a school, maybe to make myself feel better, but mostly everyone else says its a daycare center) and actually get a CDA (CDA is a Child Development Associate) online and If I finish that I can actually move up in salary and I think the director wants to make me a Teacher and/or a Co-Teacher. Seems like they really like the way I am with the children. The CDA course is also cheaper (and ONLINE) and I will get reimbursed by the school if I finish and graduate. But after the CDA their isn't any other type of advancement, unless I leave and go into the public school system, which I've tried to do also, anyway.

.....Confused:(

2. Create

Create :free at last:

The little bit of information that you given us here is not nearly enough to make a solid recommendation either way. I would like to point out a few things, though.

No matter what you decide to do make sure you are fully comitted. Returning to school at age 28 won't be easy. You should make sure you've got the motivation.

College is highly encouraged in the United States. *Any* 4-year degree will open up a whole new set of job opportunities you would not have with a 2-year.

If you decide to return to school the government (through FAFSA) has no-interest loans and outright grants available to qualified students. If you do not qualify Sallie Mae offers school loans to nearly everyone. Interest and payments will be deferred as long as you maintain full-time status.

Large employers, including the government, almost always have some sort of matching program. For example: if you score an 'A' they'll pay 75% of that class's fees. A 'B' earns 50%, and so on. This will require you to stay in their employ, take a degree relevent to your work, ect.

I don't want to criticize ITT but that's probably not where you want to have your 4-year from. Other schools offer 4-year programs for working adults. This is just a label, though, and your work experieice is more important after a few years of completion.

The best advice I can give is: Stop vacillating. Be decisive. Form a plan and make progress according to the plan. Do it now.

3. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Honestly, a degree from ITT Tech is pretty much useless; it won't even get you in the door at 99% of most companies. If you are going to do this, go to an accredited school.

4. Create

Well, you only count on the school name to get you into your first job. After that it's all about work experience. ITT's just fine but if there's other options consider them.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well since your not financially capable(and i said this before) never spend money on something you cannot afford.

Best thing is if you would tone down your expectancies and would start thinking 'realistically' , having a job and a study next to it , would be a far better option , that way your paying off debts, and improving yourself. Your parents are right to be worried, its absolutely senseless letting your life depending on something that 'might be' you need security ,knowledge and real cash on the table to deal with your problems , and im not saying become a criminal or prostitution or anything, but im saying it might be more to the ground level into aquiring money then you had previously imagined.

6. Guz200sx

I guess your saying go with the latter. I think thats what my parents may be thinking too but I think they would like me to go into something more beneficinal(sp?) for me in the future because working in a school (aka daycare center) can't be forever. If i could switch to the public schools then that would be great.

I asked around on OT and got some info in ITT and it doesn't look good. I was at the campus yesterday on a tour and it looked fine and there were people their studying and what not. But someone gave me a link to a disturbing article and now I'm second guessing it.

7. Guz200sx

What other informationg could I have given?

Why is it that everyone says returning to school when one is older is always harder??? Whats the difference??

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

What im worrying about is that 'maby' you are playing the ball to high, and think too much of yourself. A lot of debt and no job, plus bitter study foresight = not a great horse to bet on, and i hope you agree on me with that. And you know parents ,they are always right -_-

Now because it involves your entire future, i admit its not fun to take a path in the future you did not desire, be realistically seen its the good thing to do. That until new oppertunities arise that can work as concrete building blocks for your future and do not represent your downfall.

9. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

1) you are more focused on your job because you have to make money to live, therefore you have to schedule your classes and studying around your job, which is quite a pain in the ass at times

2) when your a full time student you have friends and classmates to help you along if you don't understand the material, you, being a part time student probably won't be able to attend study groups and other similar meetings because you have to be at work

3) dealing w/ school, your job, and the other things in your life is simply mentally draining

4) you've been out of school for probably 7-8 years now, and your study skills have digressed as well, plus the fact that the teaching styles change very quickly and what is expected from you as a student has probably changed slightly in the past few years, which is somehting you will also have to get a hang of.

10. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I'm 23 and I just started college Jan. 10. It has NOT been easy, even after the 5 years I've been out of school. It does take complete dedication and a lot more time than you'd (well at least me) expect.
    Why not try talking to a counselor at a local college to see what they can offer you? MANY colleges offer distance education options now. Out of my 14 credits, only 1 of them requires me to attend class at the college.
    Good luck.

11. Create

Darketernal has the foresight of a cross-eyed rhino.

If school is what you want "THEN GO!". Even if it puts you further into debt do it. Of all the investments one could make in their life education provides the best return EVEN IF YOU JUST LOOK AT THE TANGIBLE ASPECTS.

Don't let anyone tell you you're aiming too high. Don't let anyone tell you 'you think too much of yourself'.

Focus yourself on your goals. If you really focus and are willing to sacrifice along the way you'll get there.

(heh, as we get older we forget how to learn. Sounds weird? Pick up your old HS math book and see how much you remember.)

12. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

That's probably the worst advice I have ever seen. Getting a degree is, without a doubt, the most valuable investment you can make in yourself. The cost of getting a degree can be repaid extremely fast taking into account the increased money you will be making after you graduate.

13. jakemi

jakemi New Member

Dont go to ITT. They just want your money and they feed you a bunch of BS about all the jobs that is out there. There were even on 20/20 on how they scam people. Go to a real 4 yr school. Even get a job at Best Buy and they even pay for your school. Have a friend that is almost done with his 2 yr. degree and hes going on to a 4 year school now to become a cop.
    You got to have ambition to do it. As Nike says....Just Do It

14. Guz200sx

Yea, I got some bad feedback from people about ITT. Its not on my menu of options anymore. :(

15. Guz200sx

"Even if it puts you further into debt do it"

:wtf: I don't wanna drown myself even more than what I already am. I'm very adamant about this.

:rofl: i was terrible in math in HS. And when I did take math courses at the comm. college, i was terrible their too. I finally passed the ONE course that I needed to graduate.

16. Guz200sx

Everything you said is true but i've only been out of school for maybe 2years....

17. Guz200sx

my only option is look into the school I was at before...George Mason Univ. which sucks cause I hate it. Its actually about a 30-35 min drive on a good day. But most likely, my home campus would be 45-50 mins away and at night its terrible. Its a lock I would have to take some night classes and like bigman said that is really mentally draining, especially after working all day.

18. Create

The school is not moving. You need school, work, and home in close proximity. Make it happen. Find a job near school. Great jobs open up come finals time before summer. Take advantage.

1. Consolidate your existing debt into one personal loan. This will lower your interest rates, extend the term, and thus lower payments.
    2. Take out the damn school loan.

The incremental earning power of a bachelors will pay off that debt in a few years. This is your last big push for awhile. You can afford a few casualties.

19. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest