MIL Going Active Duty from Army National Guard?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by signal, Nov 15, 2005.

1. signal

signal New Member

I've been in the National Guard for over a year now. I thought I wanted to go to college and have a regular job and still serve my country one weekend a month. I don't really like school, my job, or the town I'm living in for that matter.

I talked with an Army recruiter, and he got me all the necessary paperwork that I need to be "Conditionaly released" from the Guard upon elistment in the active component. I haven't brought the paper work up with my unit yet, but I don't think they will authorize it anyways since we are already undermanned.

If I can and do transfer to the active component, I think I would want a new MOS, since I don't want to be sweeping the gun line every day as a 13B. The Army recruiter said I have a 90% chance of being able to switch MOS's, but he would prefer that I didn't--Probably because it's a lot of paperwork that doesn't count towards any of his numbers anyways.

What do you guys think?

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

I switched MOS's from Guard to active duty. First thing, Get the job you want. If you are conditionally released you are not bound to enlist in active duty. You have final say so, be prepared to leave MEP's if you don't get the job you want. Second it is very hard to transfer to active duty. If your unit is undermanned you had better hope some people like you. It was a pain in the ass for me to transfer and I even had my BC deny it but I have some friends with stars, hehe.