Going about replacing my main drive... suggestions to make it easy

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Toology, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Toology

Toology New Member

So I posted an earlier thread complaining about performance issues, basically i have nailed it down to my very old (probably 6yrs) IDE main 120gb drive. its partitioned into 2 drives c and e. C only has windows on it, E only has video games (most of which are games which i dont have the cds for).

I'm going to buy either a 320 or 500gb SATA tomorrow at work to replace the drive entirely, but I have been putting this off for years already cuz im worried about the headache of losing games ect i dont have cds or install files for anymore.

What is the best way to go about formatting the new drive into the same thing (2 partitions, 1 for windows, 1 for games)... and transferring the data? Now i know i can pretty much easily just copy all of my E drive to the new partition no problem, but i'll lose save game files, as well as have some fucked up shit going on when i reinstall windows to the new drive as well (ie. games wont be recognized as installed etc).

Any suggestions on making my life easier on this transition? Should i copy my my documents folder that has save game files etc to my external for now, then replace it on the new windows drive when installed? are all of my games not even going to work cuz windows wont think they are installed? (I realize at a minimum i'll have to recreate short cuts etc).

2. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

Clone old drive, on to new drive. win.

3. mondaynightmike

Thats all I've done when i've updated my main drive before.

Use acronis takes about hour maybe depends on the data.

unplug old drive when done, and boot off new drive to find it exactly how it was but with more space :bowdown:

4. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

windows vista pc backup :bowdown:

5. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

6. Toology

Toology New Member

will this work with a drive that is partitioned into 2 seperate drives (if i partition the new one as well?) also... wont doing this also copy any bad sectors of my current drive?

7. OFI

OFI New Member

I need to do this too :noes:

Have a 250GB drive which is pretty much filled right up. Want to replace it with a 500gb. Mine is partioned down the middle too.

Need to work out if my PC i'm rebuilding can take the two SATA drives..

8. Toology

Toology New Member

RIP all of my video games, ended up havin to just rip out the drive entirely and start over with my new sata.

Most of em I hardly ever played, but it sucks goin back to ground zero and havin nothin to play... reloading steam games now, gettin titan quest again as i was in the middle of that one again (saved the save game files from my docs).

9. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

should be a sticky on this since its an easy process. Unless a hard drive is dying Acronis True Echo Workstation or Server has a feature in it to clone a drive. You can hook up a secondary drive inside your computer or via external usb it will clone your drive from one to another. The process can take up to an hour to two hours or 20 mins just depends on how much data you have.

When its done it powers off, you swap drives and your drive. The trial version can be downloaded from their website and worth it since its a one time only thing. Its easy thing to use. It will take a picture of your old drive, place it on the new drive just basically the exact same thing

10. mondaynightmike

Select Disc Clone then select automatic.

Easy

[​IMG]